Sign in to follow this  
chennhui

PDP Systems Patriot XBLK PC3200 Database

Anybody hit up that new beta BIOS? The 510-1 or 510-3 has apparantly had a lot of mixed reviews, some raving about how great it was and others saying it made things worse.

I was wondering if any fellow XBL owners were helped / hurt by this? I'm still running 310p and am starting to hit instability, so I'm wondering if I should switch to see if it will help...

I tried using the 510-1 BIOS on the machine in my sig, and it would spontaneously crash and reboot from WinXP even at stock speeds.

Anything over 270, on my system needs 1.7 on the chipset. I have also seen 1.2 on the LDT be unstable with some CPU multis'. My Winchester 3200+ would be stable on 8X multi at 1.2, had to up it to 1.3 on 9X, then it would be stable on 10X at 1.2 again. Weird. So now I just keep it at 1.3 as it doesn't seem to raise the temps any.

Waldo, did you try the -3? I've been told that the -3 version is a little more forgiving than -1 because it's more of a generic BIOS not geared towards TCCD or BH-5, but actually a little of both. So, knowledge of timings and whatnot doesn't have to be as accurate [not that I'm saying you're not knowledgable].

I'm thinking of trying it just because 3/10p is starting to give me trouble.

I might try 510-3, right now I'm back to 310P on my 2nd system and 414-1 on the system in my sig. everything is very stable that way. Don't see a real need to move away from these BIOSes.

WheresWaldo, thanks for the testing. Do you know the different between 510-1, 510-2 and 510-3? 510 is base on 316 RAM table. What exactly is the 316 RAM table?

The 3/16 RAM table is the way that the RAM settings were in the 3/16 version BIOS. I've used the 3/10P since I got this board, and the 5/10-3 is based off of that version, which is why I was asking if anybody has tried it. I wanted to stay with the familiar stuff, it was hard enough learning that the first time :D

My problem was that 510-1 and 510-3 would reboot in WinXP as soon as all the startup apps finished loading, and there aren't that many. I was testing with Optimized BIOS Defaults loaded, not even overclocked. One of the 1st things I do is disable Windows services after installation and only run with necessary ones. 510-2 does not do this. I am now running 510-2 witrh the settings I previously posted except that I changed DRAM voltage from 2.9 to 2.8 + .03 Enabled. This resulted in a DRAM voltage reported in BIOS as 2.86 instead of the 2.93 I was at before. It is Prime95 stable over 8 hours, I have completed SuperPI up to 16M, but it will only run 14+ minutes in OCCT. I think loosening the RAM timings a bit and I will be able to pull another 50Mhz out of it. Everest 2.x has Read Speed at 8200+ and Write speed 2700+ with a latency just over 34ns, all plenty fast enough.