754/939 Users - What CPU COOLER are you using?

Angry_Games

928 members have voted

1. 1.

• Thermalright (XP-90/XP-120/SLK-948U)
    • Zalman air-cooling (all models)
    • Swiftech air-cooling (all models)
    • Coolermaster air-cooling (all models)
    • Aerocool air-cooling (all models)
    • Alpha air-cooling (all models)
    • Thermaltake air-cooling (all models)
    • Danger Den watercooling (all models)
    • Swiftech watercooling (all models)
    • Zalman watercooling (all models)
    • Thermaltake watercooling (all models)
    • Corsair watercooling (all models)
    • Asetek watercooling (all models)
    • Koolance watercooling (all models)
    • Polarflo watercooling (all models)
    • Coolermaster watercooling (all models)
    • Other (please post in thread!)
    • STOCK AIR COOLING!

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What temps are getting people with XP-90, and what king of fan are you pulled in???

I've mounted yesterday my XP-90 with a 80mm 2200rpm fan (I know I must change it) and idle temps are about 35º. Aren't they a bit high???? I used thermalright's included thermal paste, wich I thought was quite good, but first come out something like oil and later the white goop. This is bad, isn't it???

salu2.

What temps are getting people with XP-90, and what king of fan are you pulled in???

I've mounted yesterday my XP-90 with a 80mm 2200rpm fan (I know I must change it) and idle temps are about 35º. Aren't they a bit high???? I used thermalright's included thermal paste, wich I thought was quite good, but first come out something like oil and later the white goop. This is bad, isn't it???

salu2.

how could we compare to your setup when you have no sig with detailed specs?

please check the rules and the Important Info threads stuck to the top of this section.

If you are looking for help, reading this is the most important first-step for you to take.

this helps us tremendously to help you solve your issue if we can see what is in your system every time you post:

PLEASE SEE THIS LINK!:

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showpost.p...701&postcount=2

Be as thorough as possible please. Voltages, timings, settings, bios version, etc.

The more information you give us about the problem, and the more details about your hardware in your sig = more help we can give you.

I'm just amazed at how many are using the Zalman stuff. Noise concerns or realy that good of a cooler?

And only around 10% water-cooling. Thought I was one of the few still on air.

And really amazed how many use stock cooler (with obvious good results).

Pretty interesting poll.

Yeah very interesting poll.

I'm not really much amazed with Zalman's score because the 7000 family from Zalman has earned a reputation as an excellent air cooling system. :)

how could we compare to your setup when you have no sig with detailed specs?

LOL, sorry man, I posted at work and forgot this detail, ehehehe ;)

Updated signature, but can't input an avatar... is there any problem with them???

Well, yesterday I cleaned the first paste and spreaded again thermalright white paste, which seemed a lot better (more consistent) than in first aplication.

Now idling at about 30-31ºC. Priming all night with the 80mm fan running at 950rpm and max temperature went to 39ºC. Quite satisfied here ;);)

Time to start pushing up this thing. :D

salu2.

Angry_Games post on the SVC special for the XP-90 pushed me over the edge, as well as the temps and noise of the stock HSF at full load. I also bought some Nexus "Real Silent Case Fans" from siliconacoustics.com to play with in my search for a reasonably quiet/cool/fast sweetspot.

So far I'm really happy with the XP-90, though the base could have a nicer finish. I think the Zalman's base looks better polished/machined from the ones I've seen at Fry's compared to my XP-90 sample, which had visible grooves.

Installation was easier than expected; the clip doesn't really take that much pressure to engage and there is enough room for my fingers to do the job with the XP-90. Removing the OEM DFI retention bracket and installing the Thermalright one is trivial, in retrospect I could have done it without removing the mobo since the hex nuts on the back didn't fall out as expected!

CPU temps fell from 51-52°C max load to 44-45°C. I tried mounting the fan to blow down on the HS as well as suck upward. With blow down, I got lower CPU temps but the chipset and PWMIC temps went up to higher than the stock HSF. In the "suck up" direction I got a lower chipset and PWMIC temp than with the stock HSF, plus the nice 6-7°C CPU temp drop.

Lapping the XP-90 so I could use less AS5 would probably lower CPU temps few more °C, but I'm going to save that project for a rainy day :)