Sign in to follow this  
Argh

Cannot Start Ultra-D

ok, so been reading a bit more from the forums. Some ppl say that bad RAM can stop the PC turning on (i don't c how this stops it though, as fans should at least start up). So my question is, what is the significance of the memory LED being on? As mine doesn't come on - does this point to something being wrong with the RAM?

Also, in my past experiences - u can turn on a computer with no cpu/ram/vid card..obviously nothing happens processing/video wise, but power does come thru the motherboard and fans do spin up. Is it safe to assume the Ultra-D acts in the same way? coz from reading all the posts (eg. bad/incompatible RAM=can't turn on at all), it doesn't seem to!

have you tried the pci-e card in the 2nd slot? do you have all 4 power connectors connected including hdd type and the fdd type? try booting w/ just one stick of ram in slot 2 after clearing the cmos. try booting with just bare essentials, out of box, w/ psu, 1 stick ram, video, boot drive and monitor.

have you tried the pci-e card in the 2nd slot? do you have all 4 power connectors connected including hdd type and the fdd type? try booting w/ just one stick of ram in slot 2 after clearing the cmos. try booting with just bare essentials, out of box, w/ psu, 1 stick ram, video, boot drive and monitor.

I've tried the vid card in both slots, no change. And yep i have all 4 power connectors connected. Cleared CMOS a few times (including leaving it for a time period). Have tried with minimal config (out of case, psu/cpu/1 stick of ram in slot2), but i didn't bother attaching a monitor, as nothing turns on.

Hmm i think it's dead...

Are you SURE you have ALL 4 Power connectors plugged into the board?

Well put it this way, if i secure them anymore, i'm going to physically break the motherboard. Well it's gone back to the shop that i bought it off today - i'll post what happens once it returns (which could be awhile).

Hi All,

Finally got a replacement mobo. All is good now. So i guess this is one of the rare cases, where the mobo is actually at fault.

Thanks for trying to help though.