Sign in to follow this  
magg

Fixed chipset temp problem...

As many of you have seen, there's quite a few posts involving people concerned about their chipset temperatures. I was one of them, as my chipset idled at 46C and hit 51C on load. This was the hottest thing in my rig, as my CPU was 31/40C, PWMIC was a little higher than that, and my HD's were never above 40C. My graphics card obviously got hotter, but that's an exception.

So after pondering on how to fix the problem without having to take the fan off and re-apply AS5, I remembered that I got a fan included in my retail package of my XP-90. So, I took the fan and put it to good use...

I have a Thermaltake Tsunami case, with 2 HD's in the top two slots of my drive cage. The 92mm fan that I had laying around from Thermalright happened to slip perfectly in the open spot beneath the HD's [about the same clearance as the chipset & the graphics card]. I angled it toward the chipset, used some twistys and zip ties to keep it steady, and booted up the machine. My chipset is now idling at 42C and loads at 46C.

I also have an intake 120MM that came w/ the case that's in front of the drive cage, so the new 92MM fan is kind of accelerating the air that that one is bringing in. Yeah I know, it's ghetto, but hey, whatever works. The ghetto mods are the best ones anyways :nod:

If anybody wants pics to see what I'm talking about, let me know.

Ok guys, here are some pics for you. I'll put them in some kind of order...

First, here is the picture of the drive cage, where you can see 2 of the 3 zip ties that I put on the fan, and how perfectly it fits under my 2 Hitachi 160GB SATA drives :)

Drive%20Cage.jpg

Next, here's a side view to show where the fan is blowing, at what angle, and where I plugged it in. If you check at the bottom of the case, you can see the fan's wire running to "FAN5" header on the mobo right beneath the bottom PCI slot.

Side%201.jpg

Another side view, showing a little more of the fan and also the front 120MM that the 92MM takes most of its air from to push harder towards the chipset / GPU.

Side%202.jpg

And finally, me pointing to the two main ties that I have keeping the fan steady, with the other black twisty tie in the bottom left of the fan [kind of hard to see], with just enough clearance under the hard drives. If you want the specifics onto which holes I put the ties through, let me know and I'll count what number they are or something :nod:

Fan%20Ties.jpg

Any other questions or more picture requests, feel free to ask... I'll take any excuse I get to open up the window panel and tinker :D:D

I have the tsunami case also. The side case fan and especially the intake fan on the bottom front chassis is way too loud. Are there good quiet fans to replace these because as of now, they're not hooked up. Also, is there a way to control the speed of the fan for the bottom front one.

Question 1: Panaflo fans are GREAT. Good price / performance ratio and are some of the quietest fans in their class. The 92MM I have running on my XP-90 is 48CFM @ 30dBA for full RPM. They make from 80MM -> 120MM, pushing all the way up to like 114.7CFM at 45.5dBA for their ultra high speed 120MM.

Question 2: You could try using SpeedFan, but usually its best to just get a fan controller. The Vantec Nexus is a popular choice by many for fan controllers. I know FrozenCpu has em, but I'm sure a lot of other places do too.

Kind of funny thing happened to me. I sleeved the leads to the fan and got the connectors BACKWARDS :eek:

Anyway, running the fan in reverse my temps were about 52C at load.

I took the stupid thing off, lapped it to teach it a lesson and slapped it back on along with a intake blowhole over the board for good measure (more for the mosfets as I want to be able to run HIGH voltage to my RAM)

Now idling with the chipset fan at 4000RPM or so I'm at 44C and it really doesn't budge at load. The main advantage is that I don't have that constant whine from that horrible little noisemaker they call a chipset fan buzzing at 7000RPM.

Quite honestly I think the chipset would be fine with a passive cooler it doesn't get that hot and won't really affect o/c. Certainly 51C isn't that hot.

Good work mate. Hmm, that has made me think. I should do tht for mine too... Lol. I wonder whether i could use the AMD fan that come with the heatsink!

hmm i was worried about these chipset temps too..

but my new DFI SLI i just installed tonight.. chipset is 38C... which is still lower than most peoples Ive seen here. maybe i wont worry. I already set all my fans to come on full most of the time thru smart guardian.

38C pretty decent for Chipset?

CPU = 24C

PWMIC = 32C

38C pretty decent for Chipset?

CPU = 24C

PWMIC = 32C

Yes those temps are fine. Mine are idle at the moment with...

PWMIC = 29c

Chipset = 35c

:)