Random Access Mysteries

I was wondering...

What's the difference between SIMM and DIMM memory?

How do I determine what kind of RAM my motherboard supports?

I'm running an XP machine with 550mhz, 73% of my HD free, 128 RAM, and I'm having some rigidity playing games (specifically Medal of Honor: Allied Assault, and Max Payne).  What's more important for me, a RAM upgrade or processor upgrade?

And installing RAM is just a matter of pulling the old chipset out and plugging in a new one, right?

First off:

SIMM = Single Inline Memory Module has 30 to 72 pins they hold 8 to 64mb of memory I belive, there normally used for the older systems..

DIMM = Dual Inline Memory Module they have 168 pins on them, they hold 8 to 256MB of memory

Most boards today use the DIMM memory.

The easiest way to find what Kind of memory your board supports is look in the manual.. which you can find online.. or should have come with your system..

So Im thinking your using SDRAM which is a DIMM

SDRAM is ram that runs syncronus to the system clock.

were the other ram dont run in sync with the system clock so SDRAM is faster..

There is DDRAM which.. You could have but since your comp is a 533MHZ I am going to doubt it..

DDR is just a faster version of SDRAM.

wHat i would do..

Up grade the processer if you can..

Like 900MHZ should be good.. and Up the ram to like 256..

you said you were running WinXP right?

I think 128ram is like MIN for XP..

and installing ram is yes.. just pulling out the old memory and replacing it with the new stuff..

Like i said go online get ur motherboard manual.. FInd out what you can up ur processer to and find out how much ram you can actually put in to your machine.. and go from there..

Good luck.. I hope this helped a bit

Oh yeah.. the video card.. if you have the cash. get yourself a GF3 ti 200 there not to expenisve if you shop around.. Like 130 bux or something.. Or maybe you can find a GF2 Ultra..

you will definitly see an increse in performace when u upgrade to a GF3..

L8rz

i agree with psywar you really should get a faster processer. A friend of mine has a 500mhz with 256mb of ram with a Gforce 200ti running on Xp and he has to tone alot of the settings down in medal of honor to get the game to play stable. Medal of honor is a very damanding game.

"...you really should get a faster processer. A friend of mine has a 500mhz with 256mb of ram with a Gforce 200ti running on Xp and he has to tone alot of the settings down in medal of honor to get the game to play stable. Medal of honor is a very damanding game."

So a new processor would serve better than more RAM...  Cool.  I've never installed a processor, is it tricky?