The truth about Tras and its dangers....

Guest shaolin95_merged

Hi all!

Ive been reading a lot about timing tweaking and all that and have found many people using some dangerous timings... Tras is the timing I am mostly concerned about. It seems most people dont know what it does and the importance of not using a tras setting too low. I found this article that explains it way better than I could so please read:

http://www.mushkin.com/mushkin/pop-up/latencies.htm

The small gain you get when droping your tras is nothing compared to the errors that are piling up in your HD...not worth it. Good thing that Tras 10 has become very famous with the DFI mobo...but for others using very low tras, I hope this helps clear things up and prevent some wasted time reinstalling Windows!

:angel:

Regards

That went tothe printer and into the "good stuff to know & remember files"

Thanks Im currently doing exactly what they say Im not supposed to and do I have HDD issues - hell yes.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ubber: i wouldnt say every memory company is misleading customers by any means.. they are just rating there modules for what the can do.. under optimal circumstances.... i dont know about you guys but my rig is above optimal... so i think running the "rated" timings wont hurt anything.

So i tried to test with Memory Analyzer but it crashes (classpnp.exe). I can't understand it because i tested 4-4-8 with memtest (15 passes without errors). What's right? Memtest or Memory Analyzer? I tested with games (Silent Hunter 3). It's hang up or crashes. This game need high memory! At least i tried to test with 3-3-8. It runs not (memtest errors). I see no reason to play games which need high memory if my system crashes every time.

Have you any reason?

EDIT: Here a Prime95 Error with Torture Test @Blend. I can't believe it :(

• 1 month later...

I saw that thing from mushkin about the tras data corruption.

Not sure what to think of it. I was looking on the spd info in rmma...

http://cpu.rightmark.org/download.shtml

and it looks like 1 clk = 5ns. So cas 2.5+3+2=37.5ns. tras of 7 yields 35ns so there is a small problem of 2.5ns. My question is whats the 2 for? Why not 1.5clks or even 1 which would make 2.3.3.7 ok?

When I ran the auto tweak thing from nvidia(ntune or whatever) it would set the tras to 7. Nvidia doesn't know what they're doing? Doubt it.

If you look in the first post in the memory guide thing the presentation from corsair utilizes 2.5337 timings for all the examples. So corsair puts together a huge presentation like that with invalid ram timings? Once again I doubt it.

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11397

Has anyone found any further definitive info? All the performance co's that we pay so much money to should be able to come up with a response.