The truth about Tras and its dangers....

Guest shaolin95_merged

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If it helps anyone, I had a real-world experience of data-loss:

It is true and will for the most part go unnoticed. That is unless a specific portion of the drive gets a bit of corrupted data written to it, in my case, the FAT :rolleyes:

I can't blame people for being skeptical because the corruption either goes unnoticed and builds up over time, or never actually does any real harm. But technically, it is happening.

Just curious ... how were you able to determine that the memory settings were the cause of the File Allocation Table corruption?

I was using stupidly low Tras for the FSB I was using.

It couldn't have been anything else as the drive was totally OK. I think it's still going strong in another machine.

I think Tras was more of an issue on older mobos, like the NF7 I was using at the time (Nforce2).

memtest does really ONLY test the memory and MAY be a good tool for determining whether the memory gets enough voltage. But thats ABOUT it.

I had countless occasions where i could run memtest #5 20 times but couldnt even boot in windows or got extreme instability in prime95/OCCT with the same settings.

My advice: Use memtest ONLY for checking whether your mem is faulty, let it run a few times to do the FIRST check before you boot/install windows.

Then do the REAL testing with prime95, or my favorite, OCCT.

- And, yes, its right...the whole issue is much more complex than a simple run of memtest...since i ASSUME memtest really doesnt use the CPU much.....but as we all know the mem controller is ON the cpu..therefore it makes a LOT difference to test with memtest (low CPU usage)....or with OCCT where the CPU/memcontroller is stressed a lot more like in a real life situation.

Everything is to consider, CPU, memcontroller on cpu, memory, to determine stability.

I had countless occasions where i could run memtest #5 20 times but couldnt even boot in windows or got extreme instability in prime95/OCCT with the same settings.

if you only ran test 5, that would explain it ;)