Sign in to follow this  
Muzikfreakah

Stock IDE cables SLI-DR whos using it?

I using them and finally replaced my vantec, umm honestly? I like my vantec UV rounded cables better, these just crumlpe too much they look like an umbilical cord (not sure of spelling) heheheSo im scouting for a yellow vantec UV cable just to get into the spirit of DFI SLI-DR, yellow :-D

It is of no never mind what we all might use but your preference of cabling and your visualization of esthetics. I seldom use shipping cables as they may not be up to snuff for my personal likes and or dislikes.

RGone... :confused: as usual.

I using them and finally replaced my vantec, umm honestly? I like my vantec UV rounded cables better, these just crumlpe too much they look like an umbilical cord (not sure of spelling) heheheSo im scouting for a yellow vantec UV cable just to get into the spirit of DFI SLI-DR, yellow :-D

I have to agree with the "stock" so-called round cables. They are twisted ribbon cables with yellow sheaths, that look hideous! ;-}

I'm also looking for some "true" round cables.

Charles

On a funny note, when round cables came out performance tests would point the old ones as very slightly faster. The problem with "true round" cables is that they must be twisted in pairs, and even that way it's almost impossible to keep a ground cable in between every data one for optimal performance. Also round cables tend to, huh, "grind" (I lack the correct english term) the first and last wires over time.

The good thing about the original cables, even though they look kinda fugly is that they have all of the advantages of a true ribbon cable while being easy to manage.

My .02€.

On a funny note, when round cables came out performance tests would point the old ones as very slightly faster. The problem with "true round" cables is that they must be twisted in pairs, and even that way it's almost impossible to keep a ground cable in between every data one for optimal performance. Also round cables tend to, huh, "grind" (I lack the correct english term) the first and last wires over time.

The good thing about the original cables, even though they look kinda fugly is that they have all of the advantages of a true ribbon cable while being easy to manage.

My .02€.

That was my thought. The stock ones were in better shape than the others I had around so I use them. They are pretty much out of site anyway. They tested out just fine with the HD tools I used.

i was going to get some different round cables myself. i was thinking green. i might get different color sata cables also.

honestly... i wish our cables were still the older style rounded that we used on the original LanParty NF2 boards (green) and LanParty 865/875 Intel boards (orange)

the older ones with teh wire braiding and translucent covering = awesome

these new ones are ugly, they dont bend/shape worth a crap, and they dont seem to be nearly the quality of the old ones...

just my opinion though.

Guest Beast

I've noticed they don't split the cable before encasing it in the yellow sheath, probably to avoid the crosstalk issues mentioned above. This is more than likely why they don't bend as well either.

I am only using mine for my DVD player, but am thinking of getting an external jobby and doing away with pata for ever! Pity there are only two locked sata connectors on this board :(.

Here's something that might interest you...cablegami

From the article:

"No Round Cables Allowed

The next time you build a computer, try and dump the round cables and spend some extra time on cable folding. The end result will look a lot better and your system will be the talk of every LAN party you attend."

Sweet Heysus, That's Freaking Amazing. Thanks for the link cpuz.

Kinda gives another meaning to, Folding at Home.................

I must try that, cuz I REALLY HATE the round ( Looks Like Grandpa's Raincoat ) cables, that DFI Put in the box of an Awesome looking board.....