Sign in to follow this  
Angry_Games

Nforce4 Ultra-D/SLI-DR/SLI-D RAID Tutorial (updated first post)

Question: If I don't use a slipstreamed SP2 installation, and I have 2 x 250gb 7200.9s in RAID-0, I will have a problem creating partitions right? (without RAID, I usually have the partitions created with Seagates tools, and so I will have the first few partitions show up, and the rest won't because of the 137gb problem, but once I install SP2, everything is fine)

Also, can I use Seagate's tools to create the partitions on the RAID array or do I need to do something special?

When I do an install, I only partition the very most I'll need for the OS. Normally this is a 50GB partition. Once the OS is installed I go back with Disk Management and complete the partitions that I'm gonna use.

I started doing this before SP2 and just stuck with it.

Help plz... I followed the tutorial and so far so good... but i dont have a disc with the drivers for this step:

Put your NF4 Nvidia RAID floppy driver disk into the floppy drive. Hit the S key, and you will get this screen:

Does anyone have the 2 files?

*Edit* found files...

I only wish i had read about nlit earlier to day b4 i started. DL isobuster to slipstream XP and SpII but for some reason couldn't get the Microsoft corp image to be recognized by Nero, the night jsut went and i missed it . I am following the guides from the tutorials which are more than helpful,2 get this rig up and running while getting a education. i may-b slow but i can lift heavy things. Just went ahead with XP install will dl SP II from the net.THERE is never enough hourers in a day. FOR me this is areal time comsuming endevour.

GOOD @ EASY DIRECTIONS. ANtec sideview II . could somone give me a link or a quick hub on memtest and how to use it with the Expert

i've heard that you can do a raid 0 on a single harddrive, only if you have it partition into 2 drives.. is this information true?

nonsense

true RAID always has to have at least 2 separate hdd's minimum

QUESTION.... i slipstreamed and everything into my windows cd... i went through the raid install and followed the guide. HOWEVER... all the problems that happen in the GUI after installing your raid does not happen to me.. does this mean that my raid was installed incorrectly? and how can you tell whether your disks are on raid or not? ( how fast does windows load for you guys on raid, like how many times does the blue thing go through the bar b4 windows starts? )

The RAID Tutorial was very helpful with my install. This being my first time using an array setup. I wouldn't have had a clue where to start. Thanks much for all your useful guides.:)

Great tutorial. I could have used this earlier when I tried unsuccessfully setting up a RAID-0 array with my two hard drives and ended up losing all my data. I just have a quick question though about setting up a RAID array, would I really notice a big difference in speed on the drives? I have a WD 500gb drive and 2 Seagate drives, one is 300gb and the other is 500gb. I have three partitions on the WD, one of them containing my OS and the other two just has data. Now I want to setup the WD with the 500gb seagate drive in a RAID-0 array but was wondering if there was anyway of setting these two up without losing my data?

Excellent tutorial A_G!

I know this thread doesn't cover the guide/tutorial in which you set up a RAID-0 array using 3 x 80GB Hitachi hdds:

http://www.angrygames.com/nf4raid-1.htm

but I cannot find a thread anywhere that deals with it. Anyway, in that guide linked to above you used the nVidia (NVRAID)Controller because the hdds were SATA II.

Which controller would you use if setting up a similar RAID-0 array using 3 x 36GB Raptors on the DFI Expert? The Raptor is still designated as a SATA I hdd.

Also, I wish to point out a possible error in the tutorial I am speaking about. :angel:

On the first page of the guide, the 4th screenshot or picture showing BIOS options, shouldn't the Internal Phy SATA 3 RAID be set to ENABLED? It's just something I noticed a while back and I haven't seen any thread referring to it as one would expect because the triple hdd RAID-0 array just wouldn't work. When setting up RAID-0 on reboot (F6) only 2 hdds would show up.

Great work so far on the site, I wish I could visit and spend more time here but that just isn't possible ATM.

Keep up the good work everyone!

Regards,

Peter

Which controller would you use if setting up a similar RAID-0 array using 3 x 36GB Raptors on the DFI Expert? The Raptor is still designated as a SATA I hdd.

Always the Nvidia controller. The SI3114 is solid, but not as fast as the Nvidia one, even with SATA-1 hdd's.

My standard burst is about 100MB/s on the SI3114, and standard throughput I think (if I remember correctly) is about 30MB/s, while the Nvidia one, again if I remember, using 2x36GB Raptors, is about 114MB/s burst and 38MB/s throughput.

Not a whole lot of difference, but I just like the Nvidia controller a lot better. I normally only use the SI controller for RAID-1 mirroring (I don't know why either, I just do it that way lol).

On the first page of the guide, the 4th screenshot or picture showing BIOS options, shouldn't the Internal Phy SATA 3 RAID be set to ENABLED? It's just something I noticed a while back and I haven't seen any thread referring to it as one would expect because the triple hdd RAID-0 array just wouldn't work. When setting up RAID-0 on reboot (F6) only 2 hdds would show up.

lol that guide has been up for about 18 months maybe and you are the first to notice that I state at the top 3x80GB drives and yet only enough SATA ports are enabled to allow 2 drives. I'll have to go back and fix that now grrr lol

(yes, you have to enable as many SATA ports in teh BIOS as physical hdd's you will be using in your RAID set)

I apologize for the extra work I may have caused you. Just a BIOS options set up screenshot as those in the original post with the Phy SATA 3 RAID Enabled is all you'll need to do. (as if you need instructions! LOL)

At the outset, I actually thought that you would need to go back and re-set up the RAID-0 array using same hardware, everything, and redo the tutorial until I woke up! LOL :rolleyes:

LOL, Well in that case I withdraw my apology :D and wish I was as clever as you! LOL :P

Back on topic now:

If setting up a RAID-0 array with a PATA hdd and a SATA II hdd using the NVRAID controller as in this tutorial:

http://www.angrygames.com/DAGF-1.htm

how does the controller cope or deal with the fact that the read/write speeds, burst speeds, search times and cache size are totally different on each drive? :confused: