Nforce4 Ultra-D/SLI-DR/SLI-D RAID Tutorial (updated first post)

What I'd like to do is throw in a 200 gig to mirror the RAID on.

this wont happen with any of the integrated controllers, and I think it takes a pretty beefy PCI/PCI-X controller card to be able to handle a job like this.

your best bet is like Roadie says, put your 200GB on a controller and use it as a backup drive for everything important (lots of image/ghost software doesn't seem to work well on the NF4 RAID stuff)

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I a newbie at this, I want to instal raid 0 with two 80g SATA's. I followed the tutorial, but when installing windows it didn't ask me at all about Hardware installation of the RAID class controller. It just loaded right through to the end. I pressed f6 and loaded the Nvidia raid contollers on too, and enabled everything that should be in the bios. What have I done wrong?

• 1 month later...
Guest Halvis

"I went to a fight and a hockey game broke out!"

Hey Angry, that will be my LAST hockey reference ever, if you can help me out! BTW, thanks for the great picture sequence on your site for SATA. I had followed it and things went swell, loaded everything up, etc. Then I DL BELARC as I normally do and damn if it didnt just see the drives as a 10 hard drive. Apparantly I only made the boot partition, then got distracted as it went on its merry way loading windows. I checked into partition magic, but it doesnt support raid striping. Is there any way to open up the other 150GB of my 2 hitachi 80's? or is it time to go back to square one, and not get distracted this time? :confused: :shake: :dog:

Guest Halvis

AHA! (its formatting now)! THANK YOU BOTH! SO MUCH.... for the basic windows lesson. (blushing) lol! :cool:

ETA: BOOOOOYAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!!

• 6 months later...

I followed the guide found here:

http://www.angrygames.com/nf4raid-1.htm

I got into the bios to setup a stripped raid-0 partition on my Raptors on the nvidia controller. When the computer boots it says no boot disk found, please reboot.

When I boot off the windows cd i load the drivers off the floppy that came with the board (I loaded both of the items that says required next to them). When windows asks to partition my drives, i do not see 1 drive instead i see both seprate raptors, showing up each as independant drives.

What have i done wrong?

Thank you for any help.

DFI Lan party Expert

3800+ X2

7800GT

2 Gigs of Corsair XMS

I had my Asus Mobo and some Crucial Ram kick the bucket when I had a fan get too hot and short some things out (at least I'm guessing thats what happened). I purchased a DFI LanpartyUT nF4 SLI-D and RMA'd the ram. Now that I have everything back, I'm having problems getting my Raid 1 re-set up correctly I think. There was data on the Raid before, data that I can't stand to lose because it has all everything for school and work on it.

Everything works until I get into Windows. I find a new volume in Disk Management, initialize it as a simple volume, set a drive letter, etc. However, it asks me to format the volume, even though I know I already have data on it. Is there any way I can set the Raid back up the way it was before or rebuild it? I really don't want to have to reformat and lose everything.

bumped, updated with secondary RAID tut, and moved to correct location

Llamadonk: if you used RAID-0 on a different motherboard, there's not much chance of being able to keep it to this new board, even if they used the same chipset.

RAID-1 however shouldn't be a problem since any disks are mirrored instead of striped across multiple disks