Sign in to follow this  
Angry_Games

Nforce4 Ultra-D/SLI-DR/SLI-D RAID Tutorial (updated first post)

ready to get your arse kicked at bowling some more?

im fighting momma's Ultra-D with 3500+ Clawhammer and TCCD...freakin thing worked perfect on the bench for weeks, then as soon as i slam it into her rig, it takes a dump and BSOD's, Outlook errors like crazy, auto reboots, etc.

ive had 4 different memory types in there now and 3 different bioses and I can't figure out what the hell the problem is...its even running at *GASP* stock speeds right now and still doing it...

I hate when i can't figure something out...

Take it back out of the case and use the original box to set it up on. These motherboards seem to have an affinity for their shipping container.

I worked on an Ultra-D with the same symptom today. In the case, no go. On the box, good as gold.

Tracked it down to three miss sized standoffs in the motherboard mount. They were taller than the rest and installed at the slot end of the mobo.

As soon as I replaced them with the proper size standoff it was good to go.

This kid scammed an SLI bridge from a buddy. I'm gonna try the Ultra to SLI mod later this week. Should be interesting.

OK, Im stumped.

Setting up DFI Ultra-D, 3700+ SD, X850XT, 1G VX, 80G Maxtor, NEC 16xDVD, OCZ 520Powerstream. Using 5/15-2 bios.

Runs awesome off IDE WinXP SP2 install, and raid0 also runs great as a disk system under the IDE windows install.

I have 2x raptor's ready to thrash, but I cant find any entry in the bios to allow me to BOOT off the raid0 array.

I went through the entire F10 thing, set it up, formated it using Windows install on IDE drive, went to install WinXPproSP2 on the raid0 array.

Did F6, Windows installed the drivers, etc etc, then comes the first reboot..... to actually now boot off the raid0 array.... HOW?

I have NO ENTRIES in the bios... 5/15-2 that allow me to set sata/raid/whatever as the BOOT target. On Infinity you would set to SCSI (which was set to either 3114 or addin PCI 3112 card). On this bios I have only "REMOVABLE (aka floppy)", "Hard Disk (aka the Maxtor)", CDROM, Network, "NVIDIA Boot Age", and "disabled" as my choices.

Im at a loss, what am I missing. Reading the manual there are suppsed to be SATA1 SATA2 entries under "Standard CMOS Features" bios menu, where the time, HD , CD, and floppy are listed. But I have NO SATA items listed.

Further in the manual, under "intergrated peripherals"... "ide function setup" the manual says a SATA1 SATA2 item should be listed, yet they are not present.

Did these get dumped from later bios's.... original with board was 1/25/05 which wouldnt adjust past 2.6Vdimm so I had to replace it.

Help!!!!

Uwackme this link right here and pic number 4 and the 'flyout' is from an NF3 board; but that very 'same' situation has to occurr with the NF4 and any 'drives' *assigned* to an array will nOt appear in Standard CMOS Features AFTER they are assigned to an array at F10. Yes, until then they are 'available' drives but once they are arrayed they no longer appear in Standard CMOS features and this caveat holds true for your current NF4 rig as it did when using the NF3 NVraid features.

Look for that SCSI array and page up page down it to reside as top spot on hard drive boot manager and you should be on the road to success.

RGone...

OK, Im stumped.

Setting up DFI Ultra-D, 3700+ SD, X850XT, 1G VX, 80G Maxtor, NEC 16xDVD, OCZ 520Powerstream. Using 5/15-2 bios.

Runs awesome off IDE WinXP SP2 install, and raid0 also runs great as a disk system under the IDE windows install.

I have 2x raptor's ready to thrash, but I cant find any entry in the bios to allow me to BOOT off the raid0 array.

I went through the entire F10 thing, set it up, formated it using Windows install on IDE drive, went to install WinXPproSP2 on the raid0 array.

Did F6, Windows installed the drivers, etc etc, then comes the first reboot..... to actually now boot off the raid0 array.... HOW?

I have NO ENTRIES in the bios... 5/15-2 that allow me to set sata/raid/whatever as the BOOT target. On Infinity you would set to SCSI (which was set to either 3114 or addin PCI 3112 card). On this bios I have only "REMOVABLE (aka floppy)", "Hard Disk (aka the Maxtor)", CDROM, Network, "NVIDIA Boot Age", and "disabled" as my choices.

Im at a loss, what am I missing. Reading the manual there are suppsed to be SATA1 SATA2 entries under "Standard CMOS Features" bios menu, where the time, HD , CD, and floppy are listed. But I have NO SATA items listed.

Further in the manual, under "intergrated peripherals"... "ide function setup" the manual says a SATA1 SATA2 item should be listed, yet they are not present.

Did these get dumped from later bios's.... original with board was 1/25/05 which wouldnt adjust past 2.6Vdimm so I had to replace it.

Help!!!!

http://www.angrygames.com/nf4raid-1.htm

Suspecting i fk'd up the bios flash, I re-flashed 5/10-2, and now I have the raid array listed in hard disk priority selector.

Ill reformat under IDE, and do the WinXP install thing all over as well, Ill keep you posted.

Ill do a thing this time too. Place a 7GB folder on the array, then copy all my setup data files, etc, then delete the folder, so XP install has the entire beginning of the array to place itself and then my brothers game... WOW.

I was making a mistake in the past formating, copying all my setup/driver/etc files to the drive, then installing OS, since the setup/etc stuff got the best spot on the drive... the outer edge!!!! DOH.

....back in a bit, thanks for the help bunky's!! :nod:

PS: while I was messing around with ram settings/testing different sticks, I lost my TCP-IP on the IDE WinXP, dont know how I did it but all lan no workie no more, including wireless 802.11b USB dongle :cool:

Oh brother, I got bit.... bit by the SP2 vs non-4K cluster bug. Totally forgot about it.

Grrr, Ill have to make a SP1 CD, then do SP2 after install.... son of a.

Oh brother, I got bit.... bit by the SP2 vs non-4K cluster bug. Totally forgot about it.

Grrr, Ill have to make a SP1 CD, then do SP2 after install.... son of a.

If you read through this thread you'll find a fix for that.. Ive been using it for a while now and works fine..

Yeah, thanks for reminding me, been meaning to setup a raid-able SP2, slipped my mind. Cooked it up, busy installing now, 16K/16K.... pretty peppy.

Ill get back to ram experiments soon.

Current HD Setup: I've got 2 74gig Raptors in Raid 0 on the SLI-DR. I'm using the NV Raid controller.

What I'd like to do is throw in a 200 gig to mirror the RAID on. Is it possible to do this without deleting all the info on the current RAID? Also...would this put a significant dent in my access speeds since I'll be mirroring onto a 7200 RPM drive? Or would it be much advisable to put in another 2 Raptors and use them to mirror the first two??

I LOVE the speed but I'm also pretty concerned about the security of my files.

Setup the 200GB drive separately and copy your data files to it when needed. This keeps you array free to fly at max speed.

I actually keep my valued files on another machine.

Current HD Setup: I've got 2 74gig Raptors in Raid 0 on the SLI-DR. I'm using the NV Raid controller.

What I'd like to do is throw in a 200 gig to mirror the RAID on. Is it possible to do this without deleting all the info on the current RAID? Also...would this put a significant dent in my access speeds since I'll be mirroring onto a 7200 RPM drive? Or would it be much advisable to put in another 2 Raptors and use them to mirror the first two??

I LOVE the speed but I'm also pretty concerned about the security of my files.