Sign in to follow this  
Angry_Games

Nforce4 Ultra-D/SLI-DR/SLI-D RAID Tutorial (updated first post)

Wow, GNU.

It's that kind of important information that we need on the front end of these threads.

Always Defrag before a benchmark.

Reboot the machine before a benchmark.

Never run any other applications during a benchmark.

Give it another try and let us know the results.

I'm sorry. I have forgotten to posts this information. Now I will run a new benchmark and posts it.

Always Defrag before a benchmark.

HD-Tach is not a FileSystem Benchmark, so you do not have to defrag.

_BUT_, every other Program accessing to the same HardDisk will have a lowering influence on the Benchmark score!

cya

PS: Sorry for OT.

HD-Tach is not a FileSystem Benchmark, so you do not have to defrag.

_BUT_, every other Program accessing to the same HardDisk will have a lowering influence on the Benchmark score!

cya

PS: Sorry for OT.

Yeah, just good computing habits are hard to break.

So i have tested my SATA without stressed programms, etc.

It's not better :( .Maybe a little bit but not fast as i want it.

I want to throw out the window.

Edit: @Angry: Sorry i have read your post too late. Next time i will watch out.

Angry----your guide is superior!!!!

Right down to the odd occurances of looking for the raidmngmt.ini

I had not read your guide and did my RAID 0 Setup----ran into the exact same oddity----but the array worked great.

This confirms that the install went fine.

BTW----I didn't see anywhere (but I could have missed it) that with those wonderful cheap and fast (pretty quiet too) Hitachi 80 SATA II drives----to get true SATA II performance----you have to first use Hitachi's Feature Tool V 1.97 to enable SATA II as it is set to SATA I by default from the factory.

If you already have it in the guide----I apologize.

John

Guest RedRider

Angry Games.....If you have time same tutorial for the SI3114 RAID setup would be nice.

Could'nt get mine going so must have been missing something. For now connecting ordinary single SATA drives to it.

Angry Games.....If you have time same tutorial for the SI3114 RAID setup would be nice.

Could'nt get mine going so must have been missing something. For now connecting ordinary single SATA drives to it.

If you have two drives in an array and you want to use them in another array on a different controller(even on the same mobo), you must break the array before removing the drives. There are cases where not breaking the array has caused the drives to not respond to the new array controller.

I have tested this scenario on the nF3 and nF4 rigs I have.

Build array on nF3. Move drives to nF4, array fails. Use nF4 RAID controller to break and build array. OS will not install properly.

Move drives back to nF3, break array. Move drives to nF4, build array. OS installs properly.

Move drives to nF3, array fails. Use nF3 RAID contoller to break and build array. OS will not install properly.

Move drives back to nF4, break array. Move drives to nF3, build array. OS installs properly.

I understand that there have been situations where the previous array was not broken and there were no problems building the new array. There may be many users doing this but we don't hear about them since they don't have a problem.

On the other hand, there have been many posts in the forum of users that didn't break the previous array having severe difficulty setting up a new array.

Be aware of this situation and you can avoid a severe headache.

If you didn't break the old array and no longer have access to the original system, there have been reports of using a program to "zero" the drive which will remove the existing array information. I did not investigate this solution since I had both controllers available.

ExRoadie

AG.. I notice you have specific instructions on how to use the raid driver that is newer at dfi.com then the one on the original floppy.. But you explain how to do this when doing a fresh install..

I tried just updating to it from windows last night and she no likey..lol..

It installed .. rebooted.. and after the windows splash screen it just blue screened.... Did a boot with last known good config and it booted fine but switched back to the older driver..

Is there a way to update this from windows... ?

Even tho I killed my array last night and have to format anyways.. Im just curious.

never tried to update from within windows

when using RAID i always do fresh install...I dont like the idea of updating on a RAID-0 array as if ANYTHING goes wrong, there goes your whole array usually

i always like to do fresh install on RAID