NF3 - Beta BIOS 3/31/2005

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK... messed around more last night and I am ooohh soo clooose to getting 257 2-2-2-8 3.2vDimm rock solid in ALL tests... this BIOS is the most responsive/predictable in terms of timing adjustments. I haven't seen any wierd quirks yet, Test#7 & Test#8 have ALWAYS been beeeaarrches to get stable, but with this BIOS they are rock solid.

Like I said in previous post, Test#5 is the first to throw it's toys out the cot. But, Test#5 is also the easiest test to get stable from past experience.... this test seems to be almost purely memory related, rather than memorycontroller.

Loosening Trc from 7 to 8 and Trfc from 15 to 16 gets me 3 errors per several hours so hopefully one more increment will get it stable. Then I'll start taking Trc or Trfc back down and see what happens... hopefully only one of them is causing the occasional errors and I can tighten the other one right back up.

If anyone is running a Mobile ClawHammer with OCZ VX memory on this board I STRONGLY recommend giving this BIOS a go... use the timings in my sig as a starting point and you should be almost at the memory limits... Trc & Trfc may need slight adjustments but that's no biggy.

[EDIT] Tony, what's up with your Tras=3? Do you get more speed, more stability, or both?

Rabbi

im using a 3400+ mobile claw and the 10/15 4.0v modded bios.I really have to try this new one.Hehe im using even the same UTT chips/twinmos for daily use.If you agree,we may exchange some extra info about timings.

So far Tony its right,maybe he got inspired from here .TRAS 3 offers more mem latency in everest and 0.5 fps bonus in LH.

I really need to get rid off my CAS 1.5 bug.Already tried on some pc3200 L2,Corsair 3200 v.1.1 256 sticks. Its not working.system freeze instantly.

sangboy, for me all BIOSes would run CAS 1.5 and no BIOSes had any boot problems or USB problems.

But, with 3/31 it's the first time Test#5 is my only hurdle... and I love that.

In saying that though, Test#5 actually fails a bit earlier than all other BIOSes so far.

My timings are in sig... feel free to share yours if you have any insights mate

Memtest bandwidth numbers are exactly the same for me with 331-R1. No increase in OC - still stuck at 258 @ 3.5v but stable. Found something interesting when playing with tRAS. When trying to eliminate Memtest errors at 259, I lowered all extra timings, excluding the main 4, to at-or-near auto settings. Then adjusted tRAS. At otherwise loose timings, tRAS has a noticeable effect on bandwidth, with 9 through 12 being highest, and 0 through 6 being significantly lower. But when all other timings are as tight as I can run them stable (sig), tRAS has almost no noticeable effect in Memtest bandwidth (don't know about other benches). 0 through 10 are the same, only dropping from 11 up. This makes for a difficult time choosing tRAS for best performance, but for me I can't tell any difference between 6, 8 or 10 in Windows and they're all stable. My BH5 prefered lower tRAS (0 - 6), but this UTT is a different animal.

BTW, no issues with 331-R1 BIOS, but I wasn't expecting anything tragic or magical.

After installing my new KingMax PC4000, my fingures got itchy and flashed to BIOS 331 this morning. Memtest86 reported increased bandwith to 2035 MB/s, an improvement of 25% over Bios 10/15 :nod:

After installing my new KingMax PC4000, my fingures got itchy and flashed to BIOS 331 this morning. Memtest86 reported increased bandwith to 2035 MB/s, an improvement of 25% over Bios 10/15 :nod:

That's a given. 10/15 didn't have Bank Interleave and 3/31 does. I think folks were looking to confirm or deny bandwidth improvement going from 1/28 to 3/31, which both have Bank Interleave.

2035 is HUGE... does everyone else also get those sort of numbers at 10x250?

2035 is HUGE... does everyone else also get those sort of numbers at 10x250?

It was at 1627MB/s with bios 10/15. When I saw your number, I could not resist flashing to 331, and am surprised with the result. If I use 260x10, it reported 2117, but I cannot load windows. Later on, I will up the voltages to see if it helps. But, for now, I am stable with over 6 hrs of prime95 torture test.