4 hours well spent

I just lapped my sink to 1500 grit,fired it back up and now I get

System 30

Pwmic 29

CPU 29-31

Ambient 19

Hopefully when the AS5 cures it will drop a little more.

The base on the XP-120 was Not flat. The base of the Tt Silent Tower I was using

wasn't flat either.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Beast
I lapped my xp-120 also.

It was far from flat!

Big curve in the middle, took ages to grind.

CPU temp dont rise and fall like crazy if your remove the IHS also.

Ah now this is what I wanted to hear. So can you confirm that if your remove the IHS on an AMD64 you DO still have enough clamping pressure from the XP-120? I am very keen to take my IHS off (and of course, lap my XP-120).

So can you confirm that if your remove the IHS on an AMD64 you DO still have enough clamping pressure from the XP-120?.

It will, but you need to modify the retention bracket Thermalright supply with the xp-120 first.

See those little legs on the underside?

You sand them about halfway down, maybe keep them taller than shorter to be safe.

WD-40 or Kerosene? For sandpaper?

Wet sandpaper works just fine with water. Kerosene or WD-40 would just make more of a mess - it would offer no benefits that I can see. As a cutting fluid, yes, but not for lapping/sanding.

4 HOURS? Man, that's a long time. I've never spent more than 30 minutes to get a nice even finish. I go 600grit then 1500, and I usually arrive at a flat base quite quickly. If the finish is bad, I'll go 400/600/1500, but it still only takes me 30 minutes tops to get a nice finish. How come it took you 4 hours?