Sign in to follow this  
philadendron

First overclock--How's it sound?

Hey, all you guys pushing your CPUs (and my desire to beat my coworkers SuperPi time)convinced me to dabble in some overclocking. I printed out some guides I found here and elsewhere about overclocking on the A64s and stuck em in a binder. The first few times I tried, I just went for a small Overclock (just to be safe) but never raised the CPU voltage. Specifically, I was going for 235x9, but Windows would just die when it tried to boot. I got scared (haha) and left it alone, but last night I read my guides again and decided to try to up the CPU voltage.

So, my first attempt yielded 210x10 with a voltage of 1.450. I ran PCMark CPU test just to see if I'd see gains and I did. I got excited, so then I tried 220x10 with a voltage of 1.500. Windows wouldn't boot, so I figured I wouldn't go any higher with the voltage and backed down to 215x10 with voltage of 1.475. Just ran some more benchmarks (including SuperPi) and now I understand the desire to overclock. I'm already thinking, "Man, if I could just get a few more minutes off my SuperPi...". I'm interested to see how it affects gaming.

I'm sure this overclock is nothing compared to what everyone else has, but I figured baby steps would protect my investment best. So I have a few questions.

1)Could I have gone higher with the CPU voltage when I tried 220x10 with 1.500? I just didn't want to go too high.

2)Is even a 1.475 voltage a little high for what I'm running now, or is it alright?

3)Right now I'm only fiddling with two values: FSB Frequency and then the multiplier. Is there anything else I should be worrying about as overclock higher (or even now).

4)I've noticed that my HS fan stops spinning when I'm in bios or before I get into windows. Then, once the Windows GUI starts to load and things start to happen, it gets going. Is perhaps a feature in the BIOS that I can change, or should I be worried? I'm thinking the reason the BIOS reports high idle temps (38-39) is that the fan isn't spinning. Then, right when I log into Windows, SmartGuardian reports higher idle temps (34), but as stuff start happening, like I mentioned before (ie, if I open a few apps, drag a window around the screen, etc) the temperature falls to where it usually sits according to SmartGuardian (29-30). To me, this all points to some BIOS feature that only turns the fan on when it needs it, but I just want to make sure I don't have any power issues to worry about. I'd check out the bios myself right now, but I'm at work.

Anyways, I look forward to some advice about where I can take this thing (if anywhere). This is fun and thanks for all the help :D

most likely your ram stopping you from booting at 235mhz. Try to run a divider at 5/6 and see what kind of results you get, you could probley run a divder at 5/6 and hit 250x9 with 1.5v's fairly easly, but be careful and monitior your temps and slowly build you way up to the big numbers.

I'm currently trying out for 240x10 on my Winnie 3200+. seeing as how we both are running on stock cooler and similiar CPUs, thought you'd like to know that i managed to hit 230HTTx10 with mem timings at 2.5-3-3-6 and prime stable at 8hrs plus. details in my sig. i tried 240x10 and even lowered multi to 9 and relaxed the mem timings to 2.5-3-3-3-7 but i got booted out while benching with 3DMark03 and 05. also tried raising voltage to 1.45 and @110%.

So is that more advantageous than just running 225x10? They both equal the same speed, but is it better to boost your FSB rather than your multiplier?

Oh, and in my last post I forgot to mention that I StressPrimed (blend) for 7 hours 40 minutes to test stability.

higher FSB i suppose would be better but at this time i was gunning for speed on the stock cooler. i'll try and relax the mem timings a bit more and try to hit 2.4ghz. so far as i'm typing this post, i haven't run into any problems with my settings at 235HTTx10 and same mem timings of 2.5-3-3-6. vcore is somewhere ard 1.57. will run prime95 in awhile

Is there a correlation between memory Overclocking and CPU overclocking? My inital benchmarks say no, but I've only done a few. Can I just leave my memory where it is (stock, and probably not very good because it's value ram) and not sacrifice any memory performance, or is there some inverse relationship between memory and cpu when you start to overclock the cpu? I would just like to take the OCing one step at a time, i.e. do the cpu first, and then when I'm comfortable, try the memory.

The only way to overclock the CPU and not the memory is to Raise the multiplier (which only an A64 FX can do) or run a divider, thats why you should run a 5/6 divider, HTT @250mhz x (5/6) = 200mhz Memory speed. By Defualt the board runs 1:1, meaning when you upped the HTT to 235 it ran the memory at 235.

I kind of see what you're saying. My memory was holding me back because I was (unknowingly) attempting to overclock the memory right along with the CPU. So, the only to NOT do that is to run a divider, i.e., keep the memory the same while upping the CPU. Right? Thanks man for the help.

I've tweaked the voltages up slightly and found what was not stable last time around works this time. Using the CPU VID Special Control to make those slight adjustments helps a great deal. I've gone to the extreme of creating a spreadsheet with the range of V*VID and how it correlates in temps at normal operation and under load. A bit anal retentive but this damn board did it to me!! :)

How it sounds?

- It sounds good. Welcome to the club but realize that the first steps U took there put your feet on a long path that will get walked :) Once U pop U just cant stop. Sorry men but u have the bug now.

So for the future:

Step 1: Ure there now ... Doing it ... Trial and terror learning whats what.

Step 2: Figure which component is holding U back the most.

Step 3: Replace that component

Repeat until Satisfied :D

Also about the next things Ure gonne play with.

Cooling: Ure on stock xp-120 or Zalman 7700Cu rox and protects Ure CPU alot better while letting U take that 1 extra step

Memory: Some good OC ram never hurts Ure performance

Then comes the choise Water or Phase or a combo.... But Im a year or two in the future here LoL

GL on your way

Frallan,

Thanks, after doing some reading, I've determined (I'm sure everyone else knew this before I even tried OCing) that my memory is holding me back. It seems as if i can't go any higher than where I am (215x10) with 1:1, so I'm going to have to try running a divider. I'll have to dig around a bit in the bios to figure out where to configure a divider.

You're totally right, though. I think I've created a monster. :D

I am running the 180 9/10 and having success with it. I was running 166 and was able to go as high as 258x10 LDT 3 but the ram was running way too slow. Try the 180 and see how it fits you. You may get lucky as well. I have been at 248x10 LDT 3 for 26+ hours so far, gaming in the evening and StressCPU in the day while I am at work.