[RESOLVED] LanParty UT nF3 250gb:Slow Startup

the "click of the Deathstar"?? :( *begins to sweat... and hands start to tremble* I lost 3 sets of RAID drives to that awful sound. Gee Thanks! now I'll have more nightmares about data loss.... I need to buy more whiskey!!!

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

UnheardEcho.. Those artifacts look real bad.. not that you needed me to tell you that.. but that does 'seem' like a video card problem..

Clicking sounds usually mean a hard drive which could cause slow downs.. will it cause artifacts ??.. I dont think so since Ive never seen that happen from a hard drive..

You should try to disconnect all fans and see if the clicking is still there.. It might be a good idea to try and get another video card to try and test .. even if its just a borrowed one from a freind..

The devious aspect of this problem is that it seems to come and go as it pleases, so even if I now wait for it to surface again (it hasn't happened the past 2 boots) if I switch teh card or even my RAM (which some think i the problem) there is no way to truly tell whether the hardware change remedied the problem, or if the problem just coincidentally went into remission. I'll try my 9600 in the other AGP computer I have and see if it causes artifacts from the start.

This seems like my previous problem, so perhaps it is the videocard.

Swapping out components and/or trying them in another computer is your bet for finding the source of your problems. At the same time I would agree that it sounds like your video card is one source.

• 2 weeks later...

Still fighting the same problem, and I need help interpreting Memtest reults. It only ran for one loop I think, but I came away with 372 and 371 errors in Tests 5 and 7, respectively. All other tests had sero errors. Is this normal, or is my RAM bad?

If you aren't overclocking and all memory settings are set to auto you "shoudn't" be getting any errors in memtest. What does memtest show for you ram settings??? If they are to spec for your particular memory then it's time to try another stick...

I actually changed my DRAM settings a bit, and made it run at 200mhz because with the auto setting everest was detecting them as PC2700. Otherwise they are completely stock.

I just noticed you're running memory in all three slots. I'd pull slots two and three (after you disconnect your power cord) and start testing only one stick at a time...again, make sure you've cut power to the system before you start switching memory around ;)

Will do (tomorrow). About how many loops of the tests should I run for each stick? Something fishy is going on with my slots I believe, because these problems only started surfacing once I got my new 1GB (2x512) kit and installed it. I've also started getting BSODs in games now when I never used to. I've been getting some solid help over at anandtech as well. Some causes have been discussed there for anyone who wants to get up to speed.

Running 1.5 gigs of Kingston KVR made my other rig SLOWER in farcry game loads. That's a shuttle mainboard with the nF2 chipset. Anyway, unless you've got top quality RAM I wouldn't populate all three dimms. As far as how many loops I would first just pull slots 2 nd 3 and see how she boots. You may want to mark the "set" you just bought and keep em' segregated from the other old stick. Try one of the new ones then the other then both. If all is golden leave the other old one out and be happy with one gig :nod:

Well I just got done playing a bit of Knight Online with only 1 stick, in DIMM1, from my 1 gig kit and nothing went wrong, and Im pretty sure that in the length of time I just played I would have gotten an error if I was going to get one. Im going to run a round of memtest on it, then try the same with the other 512 stick. If everything looks good Ill try them in Slots 1 and 2 as you suggested. I'm put out that I wont be able to use all 3 sticks of my RAM though :sad:

Would rearranging the order of the RAm in the slots make any difference?

The ram didnt do anything for my boot-up as far as I could tell though, looks like a fun waste of a day backing everything up to CDs and reinstalling windows for me :(

EDIT: After running memetest on each stick individually, (all done in DIMM1) they all passed with flying colors. I guess now Ill test the 1 gig kit in slots 1 and 2. After that if there are no errors, Ill run the oringinal 512 stick in slot 1 and each stick from the kit in Slot 2. Any better testing methods?

After alot of memtest passes, I've found all my sticks to be fine. The problem lies in running any combination of all three, thus filling all three slots. Why does this cause a problem? I know the whole speech about buying a performance mobo so dont throw in cheap sh**, but cmon, why would filling all three slots, regardless of RAM quality, etc cause these problems? (BSODs among other things)