Sign in to follow this  
UnheardEcho

[RESOLVED] LanParty UT nF3 250gb:Slow Startup

Haven't been here in awhile and only come when I have problems to dump on you guys, so sorry about that. Anyway: In the past day or two my computer has gotten extremely slow at booting up. It went from seconds (30ish) to minutes and I think the problem is where windows begins to load, right after the LanParty splash screen. After that, the screen goes black until the white bar at the bottom appears and takes a full minute or two to load, whereas it used to take no more than half a second. Windows also takes an inordinate amount of time to load. Any ideas as to why? Mobo settings getting changed, extremely fragmented HDD? I should mention that I haven't noticed any slowdown in actual computing or gaming once windows loads.

P.S. Off the topic, but two birds with one stone. .. anyway SmartGuardian reports my 12v Line as 11.71 and my 3.3v as 3.24. How accurate is smartguardian and if these are correct, what needs tweaking?

I haven't found a utility that shows the correct voltages on my board. NVmonitor is way off (0.600V CPU?!) and Smart Guardian shows my 12V rail as 11.41V. If I test this with a multimeter I get 11.94V under heavy load. So, as far as I've seen, none of the utilities are very accurate.

As for Windows booting slowly and working fine once it does, I would look into your drivers. Maybe even try booting into safe mode once. Sometimes that clears things up.

A defrag couldn't hurt, but it would have to be enormously fragmented to make that big of a difference. On a related note, you might consider running scandisk with free space/surface scan on to see if your drive has developed any bad sectors.

Thanks for the quick replies guys

dellin, I'm not sure what Im using, but I didnt install any drivers for IDE

Fonetik: Is scandisk a utility built into windows, or a seperate program? I haven't looked into that area of windows in awhile.

Guest sealion

I'm using a cheap thermaltake psu I got off new egg for $35 bucks and the rails are as following

2by3ir

that Fortron 530w is more than enough power for the board...i wouldn't trust the software monitoring too much (just enough to get a good idea)

Since it happens at boot time and works fine all other times, i would definitely take suggestions already given that you should look into whatever software/drivers you might have installed lately. This is almost always the cause of this type of problem.

Im with everyone else on the software monitoring.. I mostly use it just to see if the railsvoltages are fluctuating alot.. or dipping too much low under load..

For your slow boot up..

Run Adware or Spybot Search & Detroy to check for any spyware that might be loading during boot up.. Also check MSconfig to see if you have a bunch of stuff loading with windows..

To get to the XP version of scandisk.

Open My computer>right click on the drive>properties>Tools tab>Check Now.. button>Automatically fix file system errors>Start>answer Yes to the message so it will run when you restart Windows.

This is the only way to find and repair system file errors.

Did Virus/Spyware scan and got nothing. Scandisk finds nothing. The thing is that I don't recall installing any dirvers or any software for that matter right before this started happening. If it is a driver problem, it's delayed or something.

What's the key for safe mode on this mobo? Tried F2 and F10 :confused: