Sign in to follow this  
Viper6

Memory Timings - Please help!

Hi guys

I recently purchased a new PC (the specs are in my sig) fully assembled by the local PC store and with updated BIOS 3/10. I installed Windows XP and the timings were showing up as 2-3-2-2 when my computer booted. For various reasons I had to format the hard drive and reinstall Windows XP, and now the timings have gone to 2-3-5-2 ?

Please can someone help me? I have the OCZ PC3200 EL Platinum Rev 2 memory...

What are the tighest timings I can run with my system? I heard that with AMD systems the lowest CAS setting will be 2.5 so would it be 2.5-2-2-5 or can I run 2-2-2-5 and if so how do I do this...

Any help would be very appreciated. I didn't change anything in the BIOS all I did was a format so I don't know why it changed the memory timings :(

I heard that with AMD systems the lowest CAS setting will be 2.5 so would it be 2.5-2-2-5 or can I run 2-2-2-5

I'm not sure where you heard this about AMD systems. I and many others are running at 2-2-2-5 but it will depend on your RAM. Also, note that the POST screen will actually report 2-2-2-5 as 2-2-5-2.

I just thought I might refer you guys to a review at AnandTech of the DFI nForce4 boards - as it addresses their findings regarding memory performance. Of note is the fact that they found a tRAS value of "7" to be the median optimal setting.

I don't have one of these boards or I might verify this conclusion. But I do know that I've verified what they report in regards to the nF3 (a tRAS value of 10). Also the previous page of this review indicated that their best memory overclock (318 MHz HTT) required a CAS value of 2.5.

At stock speeds, my memory is rated at 2-3-2-6. I can verify that a tRAS of 7 gives me slightly better bandwidth. I haven't tested alternatives when OCing yet.

Genie Bios -> DRAM (in bios)

So what do I just go hacking away in the BIOS and set them manually? Shouldnt it auto detect them somewhere?

I won't be overclocking at the moment so just want them to sit at the timings they're rated for. ie. 2-2-2-5

Yes it obviously has been 'auto' detecting them or it would not run at all. However if you wish to run other than what it is auto detecting> then you must manually change the settings yourself or leave it at whatever it is auto detected at. Either auto detect OR you set them it is pretty nearly just that way.

RGone... :confused: as usual.

So what do I just go hacking away in the BIOS and set them manually? Shouldnt it auto detect them somewhere?

I won't be overclocking at the moment so just want them to sit at the timings they're rated for. ie. 2-2-2-5

Thanks for all the replies...

Just how do I go about mantually changing the memory timings to 2-2-2-5 in the BIOS? Where can I set these values?

I don't want to overlock or anything just want the memory to run at their rated timings...

Would I have to increase voltages or anything?

Hit DEL at LanParty splash screen.

Genie BIOS

DRAM Configuration

Mhz = 200 (1:1)

CPC = Enabled

Tcl = 2.0

Trcd = 2

Tras = 5

Trp = 2

Leave everything else at Auto.

Why run with a tRAS of 5 when that lowers your bandwidth? Just because that's what was advertized when you bought it? Doesn't make sense.....

Those "advertized timings" were meant for an Intel chipset board.

Thanks for the replies everyone...

Looks like I will be going with 2-2-2-7 timings

If I go to BIOS and select "Load Optimised Defaults" will it pick up 2-2-2-5 (as thats what the timings are rated at) or should I manually set them to 2-2-2-7?