Sign in to follow this  
Nitch

How to remove chipset fan & CPU mhz?

Hey, I know im posting a lot lately but I really am new to the whole building thing, and of course I started with the DFI which has options up the wazoo. My chipset is running at about 47C at Load right now, and the fan is loose on the chipset so I'd like to remove it and put on some thermal paste to hopefully cool it down a bit.

The stupid white plastic clips have me puzzled, I can't seem to get them out and I don't want to break them. If anybody could tell me how to do this it'd be great, also - how much thermal paste should I put on the chipset?

Leave it alone if you are puzzled and go into PCHealth in the bios and where chipset fan says >55 lower that to about >45 and continue on in good health and you will not have to remove the motherboard to remove the white pins and you will not report back that you destroyed your white foam insulator. The chipset fan will always have some wiggle in it unless mounted with screws and springs and that is not your intent I am sure.

This to save you actually from yourself and user generated problems. How do I know? Been there and done that.

RGone...

Hey, I know im posting a lot lately but I really am new to the whole building thing, and of course I started with the DFI which has options up the wazoo. My chipset is running at about 47C at Load right now, and the fan is loose on the chipset so I'd like to remove it and put on some thermal paste to hopefully cool it down a bit.

The stupid white plastic clips have me puzzled, I can't seem to get them out and I don't want to break them. If anybody could tell me how to do this it'd be great, also - how much thermal paste should I put on the chipset?

I used needle-nosed pliers to push the little teeth in on the backside of the board and to push the posts through from back. The posts are a little oversized for the holes they are in, but they should push through with a little effort. Once the teeth and post are pushed in a bit, the teeth won't catch on the board and you can use a blunt edge of the pliers (even the rubberized handle so you don't scratch the board) to push on the bottom of the post.

Use a thin layer of thermal paste just as you'd do on your CPU. Try not to make a mess and don't pull the outer, square foam shim off the cooler. You'll see it when you get the cooler off.

Thanks. I thought it was one of the clips that you push down, turn, and it comes loose but i just ended up pulling my motherboard out and unclipping them that way. Added thermal paste and my temp is down 7C so far

Great, so my next question, is about my processor. Control Panel>> System shows 3200+ 803mhz - is this right? My memory is at 402mhz... which voltage increase would cause thiese numbers to go up? So far, stable - just seeing what I can do to stabilize it more

Great, so my next question, is about my processor. Control Panel>> System shows 3200+ 803mhz - is this right? My memory is at 402mhz... which voltage increase would cause thiese numbers to go up? So far, stable - just seeing what I can do to stabilize it more

Sounds like you have Cool 'n Quiet enabled in the BIOS and the CPU is throttling down if it's at 803MHz. If you want to run at full speed all the time either disable it in the BIOS or change your power profile in XP to something like "Always On". If you want to overclock, I recommend disabling both CPU Throttling (turns down speed at high temps) and Cool 'n Quiet (turns down speed when there's little processor usage) in the BIOS.

Memory speed seems correct for default values. Increasing voltages alone will not change the speeds. If you can run memtest86 and prime95 overnight without errors you probably can't get more stable.

Thanks - CPU Throttling is enabled, but cool n quiet is not so I will change that and see what it does. My computer is set to always on, although monitor and harddrives are set to turn off

I made a thread asking the same question over at www.ocforums.com . I did like you did, but lapped the chipset heatsink and applied AS5 to the core. My thread has some pics of the pre/post lapped chipset heatsink and some pictures of the XP-120 I'm currently working on if you'd like to see :)

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?p=3558089

What were your temps before? now?

My chipset was at 47-49C before, and its now running at 39C except under load. Before it was running 47C with no load.

CPUID is showing my processor speed at 804Mhz... is this normal?

System specs are in sig, CPU-Z CPUID, CPUInfo and windows are all showing my processor speed at 804Mhz. An athlon 3200+ should be running quite a bit faster should it not?

CPU-Z Specs

Voltage 1.424v

Core Speed 803.7MHz

Multiplier x4.0

HTT 200.9MHz

Cache L1 Data 64KB

Cache L1 Code 64KB

Level 2 512KB