Sign in to follow this  
Chivalry

plz help.... unstable again :0(

hi... i had alot of problems with my new rig i built 3 days ago,, which i seemed to have sorted out when i took out the PCI modem i was using and swapped it for an old USB 1 i had... but problems have begun again,, :0(

I installed Half-life 2 and it seems to freze up cpompletly when i try to save a game... and i have to hard boot the machine... or sometimes when i hit a area change and it starts to load the next area it will boot me out to the main menu screen....... any ideas what might cause this?

Also i swappd my memory over to some XMS Corsair XLPT PC3200 2x512 and at optimised settings in bois i get a blue screen with an error saying something about USB... then the machine reboots :0(

plz any help would be greatly appreiciated as its my 1st a64 rig and im at a loss as to what it may be.... and i really dont wanna senfd stuff back now if got such a potentialy good rig :0(... my stuff is as follows

A64 ASBOX 3500 sledgeclaw or watever the new 3500 chips are :)

tried 3 rams.... the corsair / 2x512 Twinmoss UTT and 2x256 BH5 winbond

stock HSF

DFI Lanparty NF4 Ultra-d rev a02

MSI X800XL grpx card

160 seagate 8mb IDE HDD

120 Maxtor 2mb IDE HDD

Audigy 2 PCI card

Pioneer 106d DVDR

Liteon 24x cdrw

Tagan 480w PSU

4 case fans

thnx for any help....

PS. dunno if its any use... but in the smartguardian all 3 temps seemed to be around 45-50... idle

may be a heat problem. have you tried memtest to qualify your ram and run prime to check your system for stability? a better cpu heatsink seeems in order. do you have proper airflow in the case? I see you have 4 case fans but are they up to snuff? maybe need a bigger exhaust out he back. do you have a exhaust fan on top of the case? proper intake?

is your system or gpu heavily overclocked? are you playing online when problems occur? why usb modem? what was wrong with pci modem?

not tried memtest.. tried prime and seemed atable with no probs in that though..., 4 case fans... 2 front 1 top and 1 back... plus the PSU exaust...... got a XP-90 HS here.. but still waiting for the fan to arrive from USA i orderd :0(... but i heard the stock ones were meant to be quite good...surely good enough to get a stable rig at all stock settings... HL2 is not online... and i had to swap to a USB because when i had the PCI modem in my rig crashed or locked up or rebooted every 3 mins... takingthe PCI modem out cured that at least..

thnx for answering..

oh.. and when i swapped my memory and tried to run it at its rates speeds it got this error on a blue screen..

BUGCODE_USB_DRIVER and soime numbers,,,

For half life make sure the drive is defragmented and if you have a video card that shows temp check it. Where is the sig?

Finjd the getting started thread and put i those memory timings that might solve your problems. 3/10 bios also helps but get stable first and friggin run memtest.

For half life make sure the drive is defragmented and if you have a video card that shows temp check it. Where is the sig?

Finjd the getting started thread and put i those memory timings that might solve your problems. 3/10 bios also helps but get stable first and friggin run memtest.

ok i ran memtest for an hour.. went through 2 tests with no errors at all.....

I am already running at all the settings that are listed in the getting up and running thread.... and its a new instal of XP...and my HDD doesent need defraging

I dont know if my Graphx card has any temp sensors... do X800XL cards usualy have them?

thnx for replying.. :)

1)310 bios is the most stable for me.

2)You can find out what's crashing your windows xp by going to the properties of "My Computer" > Advanced > Startup&Recovery > Settings > under System Failure, uncheck Automatic Restart.

The next time your OS crashes, it will give you a BSOD instead of restarting and you will see what's causing the crash.

For me, my setup was memtest and prime stable but for some reasons, it was crashing (restarting) if I left it on all day with Emule and/or anything that accesses the Internet constantly; and it turned out to be the Nvidia network driver (nvtcp.sys) and firewall NAM that were giving me BSOD. I uninstalled those drivers/software (I have the latest btw), disabled the nvidia gb nic, and used the Marvell nic instead. The nvida network driver is one of the biggest culprits for a lot of BSOD. Check the web and you will see. My system has been stable for the first time ever since! Before I found out about this, I thought my overclocked system was unstable due to ram, PSU, and/or other issues.

good luck!

1)310 bios is the most stable for me.

2)You can find out what's crashing your windows xp by going to the properties of "My Computer" > Advanced > Startup&Recovery > Settings > under System Failure, uncheck Automatic Restart.

The next time your OS crashes, it will give you a BSOD instead of restarting and you will see what's causing the crash.

For me, my setup was memtest and prime stable but for some reasons, it was crashing (restarting) if I left it on all day with Emule and/or anything that accesses the Internet constantly; and it turned out to be the Nvidia network driver (nvtcp.sys) and firewall NAM that were giving me BSOD. I uninstalled those drivers/software (I have the latest btw), disabled the nvidia gb nic, and used the Marvell nic instead. The nvida network driver is one of the biggest culprits for a lot of BSOD. Check the web and you will see. My system has been stable for the first time ever since! Before I found out about this, I thought my overclocked system was unstable due to ram, PSU, and/or other issues.

good luck!

thnx for that tip.... will defo try that :).... it seems stable all the time if im just browsing and stuff..its just when i play HL2 atm and i got BSOD when i tried running at optimised settings....... atm though my mems at 2.5 , 4 , 4, 7 :0(..... nowhere near what its rated at..

oh and as for flashing to 310 bios.. is winflash ok or should i really use a disk from ods,,,, and is it possible to use a cdr and how would u go about making a cdr disc for flashing bios?... becasue i pretty much sure i got no floppys anywhere ;/ thnx again :) thnx for u help :)

Are you using the USB drivers that came from DFI? I had problems with those in Windows XP and saw on these forums that others did too. If so, and you're running XP, uninstall them and let XP install the ones that come with SP2. I haven't had any problems since.

Yeh, you can use winflash 1.76 (i think, not sure about the latest version) to flash your bios, but you better make sure you system is stable when you flash cuz if it crashes in the middle of the flash, you wouldn't be very happy. So, return your system to default setting ( no overclocking), and use winflash just to be on the safe side.

I use the floppy method. Never tried using the CD-R...

Definitely flash it to 310 bios!

Are you using the USB drivers that came from DFI? I had problems with those in Windows XP and saw on these forums that others did too. If so, and you're running XP, uninstall them and let XP install the ones that come with SP2. I haven't had any problems since.

um.. how can i uninstal my USB 2.0 drivers? and then get SP2 to re install them... ive already downloaded the SP2 ... ?

in devices i have 2 universaal serial bus controlers listed.. in the first set i have..

Standard OpenHCD USB host controller

USB mass storage device

USB root hub

in the second i have...

PCI class USB 2.0 Enhanced Host Controller

USB 2.0 Root Hub Device

which should i uninstall... and how to get the SP2 ones installed? thnx for your patience :)

ok,,, just installed new bios! *wipes brow* and its let me boot into wondows with optimised settings.... ( i just upped the ram voltage to 2.8 is all)

All seems ok atm... gonna run a few progs and stuff and see how she holds up :)