What power supply do you have? (open to all platforms)

Angry_Games

1,912 members have voted

1. 1.

• OCZ (all makes)
    • Fortron/FSP (all makes)
    • Enermax
    • PCP&C
    • Antec
    • Skyhawk
    • Thermaltake
    • Coolermaster
    • I'm using a 20-pin psu still
    • Other (please list in a post!)
    • Silverstone
    • Sunbeam
    • Tagan
    • Seasonic
    • Hiper
    • Mushkin/BFG

• Replies 603
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I did a lot of research before I bought my Fortron Blue Storm 500. My criteria was based on the order of:

1. power

2. efficiency

3. price.

Based on that criteria, the logical choice was the Fortron. At >70% efficiency it is among the best in the industry.

Why is efficiency so important?

1. Electric bill, this PSU will use less energy than most in its' range.

2. less heat, meaning less power loss and instability under load. And it should last longer.

And at under $90, it is a good bang for the buck.

Complaints? Well the thing makes more noise than my Antex 430 Truepower.

Things I liked: The molex connectors are NICE, easy to pull out of drives and such, just squeeze. The covering on all the seperate wires really made for a neat installation in the case.

I would recommend this PSU, and thank Angry Games for turning me on to it.

danny it is strange that the BlueStorm is louder than your Antec 430...I didn't know the Antec 430 was known as a 'quiet' psu (I dont have an Antec so rely on everyone else's observations). My bluestorm psu's are super silent, even at peak use...what kind of noise is yours making? It might have a problem as even Rgone has never had any noticeable noise from his.

Guest nitro

Still using my antec 380w 20 pin. So far working ok, but there is a Forton Bluestorm in my future :D

All I hear is the normal fan noise. My Antec was REAL quiet. Many people posted questions regarding how to increase the fan speeds, since they are temperature controlled. I could not hear it run.

Perhaps my setup requires more power than most too, having 2 PCI cards, 2 optical, and 2 drives in raid0. And that may make the PSU run harder, and the fan to spin faster too.

The only other thing that changed since my upgrade is the OEM fan, and the chipset fan too.

Mind you, the noise does not bother me at all. But my box is a smidge louder than it was. I suspect it is that big fan on the Fortron though..

Naa, it has to be something else besides that PSU:

"The cooling fan can spin at a rated maximum of 2500 RPM generating 80.97 CFM at 38.3 dBA. It is very important to remember that the fan specifications are maximum measurements but the FSP AX500-A employs silent technology. "

Perhaps it is that X800 card. Something I have to look into. My bad.

i have the Enermax 465P - VE FMA, which is "only" ATX1.3 and came with 20pin. Enermax also sells the same model with the 24pin plug.

I modded mine to 24pin since the PSU came with a lot of unneeded plugs, eg. AUX plug and "extra" molex. i took leads of these unused connectors and built me an extra 4pin plug which fills in the missing 4pin on the mobo connector.

The PSU is excellent, even if it only has one 12V rail (33A) i have never seen my 12V rail go below 12.1V under load. (i measured with a multimeter)

You can also see in my sig that i have a X850XT and (of course) i run everything in my PC overclocked as much as it goes :)

Edit: i had my dfi lp ultra running for while without the HDD/FDD board connectors plugged in - i plugged 'em in now since i heard many people say it makes a difference. But my system is as stable as it was before.

I also have a pci-ex power adapter on my X850XT which feeds it with TWO molex instead of the standard adapter which feeds only power from one molex.

Well...the fan on my 6800 Ultra is by far the loudest fan in my case. Coming in second place is the rattly/noisy rear fan on my TT 680 watt supply, since new.

Every hear the "Silent Power" moniker on their products? Oxymoronic, in my case.

Charles

Good to hear, b/c my OCZ Modstream 520 is in the mail:)

I'm shocked at how much bad feedback I'm seeing about Antec. My previous PS was an Antec TruePower 430W...and it's been a great PS. Not only that...when I bought it (maybe 12-18 months ago), it was an expensive and highly regarded power supply...

I checked it's stats last night...and it's pumping 12.4V actual on the 12V rail. I hardly consider that "light"....not sure what the Amperage was though. It was also of course a 20pin...so I had to retire it to another machine.

I m too. But seems that DFI "prefer" other brands...see poll