Possible to flash BIOS without floppy?

I am wondering if there is any possible way to flash my BIOS without using a floppy drive. I have one, but cannot use it right now because I only have one floppy-size PSU connector. I am planning on getting a splitter cable, but in the meantime, can this be done any other way?

I have no urgent need to update, but I like to stay as new as possible.

Thanks --

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

nf3_bios10.jpg

Nebben: winflash is on the cd-rom that came with the motherboard. You can flash from within Windows. I only recommend this if you know for sure your machine is 100% stable and not overclocked.

you can also make a bootable cd-rom just like you do a floppy.

if u use winflash, than u should flash all areas of the bios... the main block, dmi block and boot block...

awdflash flashes only the main block...

so it's better to flash in windows...

While where in the subject, I just updated my bios via a floppy where can I look to verify Bios has been updated?

If you have si-sandra it will tell you in the "cpu and bios" area too.

Haven't needed a floppy to flash or do various memory tests for awhile (well I did have to have one to bootstrap this procedure I'm about to describe but haven't used one since I made myself bootable usb drive about the time I got the nf3 ut, never needed it since (1+ yrs) (I don't use raid though so...)

You do need to have a dos boot floppy (find a friend w/ floppy drive and ANY USB drive)

Google procedure, don't remember where I put it sorry.

Format USB drive like hard drive, fdisk /mbr, add dos files just like dos boot drive.

Can boot of of this for bios flashing and testing.

Never needed to do raid so never figured that part out.

Hope this helps

mikeE

(goes back to alternating memtest 5/8/5/8 @ 9x310 as the memtest#8 errors move out past pass #10)

But how do I burn the bootable image to a CD? The download from DFI's website prompts for a floppy, there's no way to get the image otherwise. I suppose I could do it on another machine and copy the image to a cd?

Thanks for the posts, guys -- I used Winflash and updated it. I'm now realizing that I've been out of the loop for far too long -- not only do I have a floppy drive sitting in my case that's not connected, I have four MS Sidewinder gamepads that I can't use because they connect via the gameport rather than USB and I have no gameport. :(

I suppose I'll have to buy new gamepads -- I don't want to use up a PCI slot just for a gameport card. The only thing I really use them for is emulation, but they're nice to have... got them for $6 shipped.