Mystery of the GEIL...

So...i have onuroztuncer's mobo, 3000+, and some KVR memory to test...KVR stuff stinks and is bad @ default in memtest and wont load windows or run windows to save a life.

so Onur decides to buy Ultra-X 2x512MB 3200 TCCD (brainpower pcb) and ship it direct to me from GEIL.

it gets here, and its same stuff ViperJohn has a bunch of, and will all do 300FSB pretty easily (and he even borrowed my 3200+ and tested with his GEIL and blammo it does it easy).

but see, I'm having this problem...it won't do over 240 @ 2.5-4-7-3 etc etc on Onur's board...so I put it in MY Ultra-D, knowing what TCCD will do on it (having just pulled a 9h prime95 and memtest stable 275x9 4200EL OCZ kit out of it)

it starts failing @ 240...

now...both rigs run it @ 200 (default) for 4+ hours on memtest.

on 1/25

on 2/09

on 3/10

on 3/16 (alpha bios we testing)

wont do more than 240 on any bios on any board (wont even get stable on my board @ 240).

250 = instant 356,000 errors in memtest lol.

*oh, and btw, i tried setting both rigs from 250x6 up to 250x9, nothing no matter what the cpu multi*

so i crank it up to 3.2v...and still it gives me hell...both boards, all 4 bioses.

but

i saw that it would only get about 368 errors in test #5 @ 3.2v

this is 2 days later btw, and im gettin sorta pissed because I'm thinking that Onur just blew a few hundred bucks on some Ultra-X that maybe really sucked...or had Hynix IC's (which only suck on the NF4 at the moment for some reason).

but being mr angry who cant sleep until whats done is done...decides to crank up the vdimm to 3.3v

hrmm...passes @ 250...and @ 260 (2.5-4-8-4 hehe)

now im wondering...3.3v @ 260...maybe it will do 2-3-8-2

blammo it does it

so i start getting this crazy notion in my head that somehow maybe i got some Ultra-X (they just came off the line) and it aint no longer TCCD...that i sniffed enough electrical cleaner to believe I might have whatever is on the VX chips...

3.4 and I drop everything down to 2-2-8-2 @ 260x8

and here is what i have so far (about 35 minutes ago i took this pic)

onur2.jpg

(and ya i have a fan RIGHT on top of the memory and vdimm area lol)

so

my friends

what do you all think?

again, this is Ultra-X 3200 2x512MB that GEIL direct-shipped me @ customer's request...

Ultra-D 3/16 alpha bios (but it will do it on 3/10 too)

3000+ Winchester / 3200+ Winchester

OCZ 420w Powerstream

2x512MB GEIL Ultra-X

Leadtek 6600GT

Crazy_Angry No Sleep 4x

can you fellow VX / TwinMOS owners post yer settings for me? I've never had my hands on that type of RAM (only BH-5 which is similar). I want to really get to the bottom of what this is without stripping the heatspreaders off the modules.

Muchas Gracias for helping me, ViperJohn, and onuroztuncer out ;) (he's gonna get a happy overclock stored in CMOS Reloaded for all of his trouble lol)

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

this is my settings for my TM SP going 250mhz 2-2-2-5-1T @ 3.4v.

10x250

LTD/FSB ratio: 3

LTD Bus Volt: 1.30

Chipset: 1.50

DRAM Volt: 3.40

CPC Enabled

Tcl (cas) 2.0

TRCD: 02

TRAS: 05

TRP: 02

TRC: 07

TRFC: 15

TRRD: 02

TWR: 02

TWTR: 01

TRWT: 01

TREF: 3072

TWCL: AUTO

DQS Skew Contol: Increase Skew

DQS Skew Value: 0

DRAM Drive Strength: LEVEL 6

DRAM Data Drive Strength: LEVEL 4

Max Async Latency: Auto

Read Preamble Time: Auto

Dynamic counter: Disable

R/W Queue Bypass: 08 X

Bypass Max: 04 X

32 Byte Granualarity: Disable (8 bursts)

installing WindowsXP Pro on it right now just for kicks to see what will happen (260x9 @ 2-2-8-2)

i only wish i had realized this was NOT TCCD 2 days ago lol...i spent 2+ days trying to use TCCD settings!

It now looks like if you have new build Geil 3200 UltraX with serial numbes of 500xxxx or later

you will have Winbond BH5 chips.

Serial numbers in the 400xxxx range had TCCD. Geil had 100's of 1000's of 400xxxx serials

remaning to use when they suddenly abandoned the 4000 range and jumped the the 5000

range serial numbers.

Viper

The one 512MB stick I have for sale is TCCD according to Viper's info, my serial is 4000339, and I got these from the egg about hmmm, maybe a month ago!! You scared me when you took the voltage up to 3.3vdimm....but now I am ok knowing that yours are not TCCD....

I am not Mr. memory or anything and probably haven't tested 1% of the ram most people on here have, but this is some really, really good ram....plus they are fun to look at!! I wish more Comp. parts were this shiny!!

installing WindowsXP Pro on it right now just for kicks to see what will happen (260x9 @ 2-2-8-2)

i only wish i had realized this was NOT TCCD 2 days ago lol...i spent 2+ days trying to use TCCD settings!

Well I just tried one stick from the 5000159's Geil UltraX I have in my 250GB and all I can say is

they are GARBAGE!!!

With my 4000162's I can run 300Mhz with 2.5, 4, 9, 3 at 2.90 Vdimm. With these 5000159's I

can't even get into Memtest at 200Mhz with 2, 2, 5, 2 with less than 2.80 Vdimm.

Viper

Are the 5000xxx serials everywhere now, or where is everyone getting these from?? And will someone slap Geil in the face!!

Ordered my last set (the 5000159's) from BuyXG on 2/23/05. They were backordered and

then drop shipped straight from Geil on 3/10/05 and I recieved them 3/14/05. I would have

to say the reason they were back ordered in late february was because Geil was right in the

middle of the chip change about that time.

Viper