To Burn or not to Burn...

Vista

Do the OC characteristics of RAM and CPU really improve that much after "burn in"? I hear wildly different results from DFI-street members. Differences could be due to AS5 out-gassing, some strange solid-state transition at the chip physics level, or cooling changes. Does anyone have some empirical or theoretical burn-in data related to modern DDR and AMD 64 chips? Thank you in advance for your opinions.

Do the OC characteristics of RAM and CPU really improve that much after "burn in"? I hear wildly different results from DFI-street members. Differences could be due to AS5 out-gassing, some strange solid-state transition at the chip physics level, or cooling changes. Does anyone have some empirical or theoretical burn-in data related to modern DDR and AMD 64 chips? Thank you in advance for your opinions.

Both AMD and Intel burn the CPU before shipping them out. This is to find and weed out

the infancy failure chips. You should note the average CPU looses 15% of it pre burn in

speed during the burn in process.

Viper

Thank you for your reply ViperJohn! 15% loss during CPU burn-in sounds wild. I had no idea it was that extreme. To be clear, are you saying an AMD 64 3500+ 90mn chip that started at 2.2GHz might be good for only 1.87GHz (2.2 * 0.85) after long-term use under heavy load?

Vista

(New DFI stuff coming and profile to match soon, old Dell Dimension 8200 for now)

Thank you for your reply ViperJohn! 15% loss during CPU burn-in sounds wild. I had no idea it was that extreme. To be clear, are you saying an AMD 64 3500+ 90mn chip that started at 2.2GHz might be good for only 1.87GHz (2.2 * 0.85) after long-term use under heavy load?

Vista

No. The speed loss from pre to post factory burn-in is in reference to virgin dies.

Viper