Poor Overclocking Newer (ie:0503) Winchester Owners - Check This Out!

AndyOCZ

i have noticed somethign strange also

my proc now is stable @ 305x8 == 2440MHz with memory ratio of 3:4

but at the same voltage it is not stable @ 271x9 with memory ratio of 166:200

in both cases the mem is stable according to memtest

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some of the old OC'ers over at AMDforums used to say that they would run their CPU's at maximum voltage for a good while before they would even start raising the mhz. I think they did that for just the reasons described above?

Not sure if it is my new OCZ memory, but when I first got my CBBID 0503, the thing would not get stable over 2.35 ghz using 1.56v. So, I ran it at that speed for a month or so. I recently swapped my memory for some OCZ TCCD, and now I am running at 2.43 ghz at the same vcore.

So, maybe these crappy new winnies just need some time to settle in?

well, 280x9 memtested fine but errored out of occt in about 4 minutes. i guess i'll hang at this for a bit, see if i can get my volts down and then start anew.

this board is a lot of fun.

well, 280x9 memtested fine but errored out of occt in about 4 minutes. i guess i'll hang at this for a bit, see if i can get my volts down and then start anew.

this board is a lot of fun.

yes it is....but you can find yourself in a situation where you ONLY tweak and tweak and totally forget that you actually wanted to DO something with your comp too, like gaming :)

Btw. for my testing i ONLY use OCCT. Memtest basically only for doing the FIRST test whether memory is working ok, mem voltage is fine etc....but no way on earth can you assume that you have stability in windows/ooct when you pass memtest, even for hours.

Had situations where i can pass memtest and cannot even boot in windows because its too instable.

i agree, i run a pass of memtest to make sure i can get into windows and then occt stability test, super pi 32m, 3d benches, and the prime large for 12 hours or so and then occt for a full hour. then i game :)

Jeez, I had to search to find this thread.

Well, I got a good handle on my CBBID0503 Winchester now, after considerable tinkering.

My CBBID is indeed my bottleneck to overclocking without a doubt. Now that I have good TCCD memory, I was able to run the following settings:

9x265 at 1.58v (ITE)

9x270 at 1.64v

9x272 at (1.425x1.23%), but the CPU runs too hot for my taste.

So, in conclusion, it looks like 9x270 is my max OC that I feel comfortable using for everyday use. But still, 2.43 ghz is not too bad I suppose. I have seen better, and worse with CBBID, guess I am in the middle somewhere.

I think I will try AndyOCZ's suggestion one more time, now that I have a definitive handle on where my CPU is, and see if it works or not for my application.

hey danny5 i've been having no luck getting stability with my Winnie at 280x9 either. sorry i didnt check my cpu info before i installed it so i dun really know what week. one thing's for sure is my stable settings are on the spot to yours. at 275x9 and mem running at 3-4-4-8. well rest of the mem settings i got some help from chennhui but i'm still tweaking (and a coupla cmos clearing as well :rolleyes: )

apparently i can prime 7 hrs stable but always seem to fail memtest #8. anyways its prime stable and no probs during gaming. jus thought of sharing this input. damn...when is the price of fx55 gonna fall here hehe

interesting find...the irony is that i've always had cpu burn somewhere amongst my overclocking utilities but never gotten around to using it heh. u giving it a go? i'll give it a whirl and post my finding

I have not tried that burn-in method yet, but I been thinking about it, since my vcore is getting high.

I did some more Prime and OCCT testing at 1.64v (ITE), and both failed after a long duration.

I pumped the voltage up just a smidge 1.66 (ITE), and all seem better, I got 2 hours into OCCT and all seems well.

I noticed that OCCT does fail faster than Prime. I can still do things with Prime running, but not with OCCT.