Sign in to follow this  
magg

How hot is too hot?

According to SmartGuardian, at idle my temps are as follows:

CPU: 31C

PWM: 39C

Chipset: 46C

The CPU seems good, but doesn't the other two seem a little hot? What's the maximum temperature those should be allowed to go? I know nF4 chipsets run a little hotter than like VIA's, but still...

If it is too hot, how can I remedy that?

Banging hale out of my system at 2700mhz they all rise to about about 48/49C with the chipset fan set to come full on at 40C so it is getting cooled for sure. Cpu runs about 42C. So anything along those lines is fine.

RGone... :confused: as usual.

According to SmartGuardian, at idle my temps are as follows:

CPU: 31C

PWM: 39C

Chipset: 46C

The CPU seems good, but doesn't the other two seem a little hot? What's the maximum temperature those should be allowed to go? I know nF4 chipsets run a little hotter than like VIA's, but still...

If it is too hot, how can I remedy that?

set your chipset fan so it spins to full speed in the bios, for some reason DFI think its perfectly fine to let the chipset reach 55c before the fan spins right up :-S

set your chipset fan so it spins to full speed in the bios, for some reason DFI think its perfectly fine to let the chipset reach 55c before the fan spins right up :-S

lol...yep, mine is set to come on full if hotter than 45°C...the chipset can run @ 60°C without issue...maybe higher...i've just not bothered to test that heh.

PWM is rated to do 110°C - 120°C I think (I know it tops the 100+ mark).

cpu...is more personal...when i am not overclocked at all...I expect my Winchester to do something in the low 30's...overclocked @ idle about high 30's to mid 40's...overclocked and banging out the stress...high 40's, maybe even very low 50's (on air anyway).

these are good cpu's just like the Northwood P4...run cold, heat up quick, cool down just as quick (im talking within seconds on good air/water cooling)

lol yeah 55c is nuts, any suggestions to the techs to lower that limit? a mobo chipset is important to me so i got that puppy spinning up to full when the chipset reaches past 30c, mainly because looking at where the NF4 chipset is placed, the VC covers it, and if you have a AC X800 series cooler on the VC like i do.......restricts the chipsets airflow even more. @ 1.7v the chipset stay fairly cool with max fan speed though and my trusty AS ceramique applied instead of that nasty yellow crappy thermal padfoamy stuffpastewhatever it it lol

my chip never goes above ~35-36 @ 1.7. i do have the side cover off though (poor airflow in my case, its cramped from the WC parts) and the chipset fan plugged straight in to the PSU so its on full bore all the time. intake fan on as well.

cool in my room from winter, but the boiler room is right next to me, so the room is heated.

if you got more air circulating in that part of the board, it would drop, no doubt. the stock chipset fan and goop gets the job done good to an extent, better then one would think, hehe.