3-Led's, No Video, All Fans Spinning !HELP!

Here is what happened:

1) Setup everything outside of the case. Worked great.

2) Tore down system. "Installed" board in case. By "installed" I mean I did not use standoffs and I know some parts of the back of the board were touching the aluminum case. Oops.

3) Added power, ram and video to board. Connected all the fans (case, cpu).

4) Plugged in power supply. Before I touched anything the fans started spinning for about 30 secs and then stopped. I pulled the power. When I pulled power all the fans spun for a sec then shutdown. No video and 3 orange LED's.

5) Plugged supply back in. Basically the same thing as (4) except even more erratic behavior, board would shutdown and power back up on its own. No video and 3 orange LEDs

6) Removed board from case, attached all power, 1 ram and video. Plugged in power supply. Got the 2 yellow LEDs. Powered up board, all fans spin. Powered down system. Powered back up. Same thing, but at least no erratic behavior. Still no video and 3 LED's.

What can I do, if anything to further troubleshoot? Am I looking at a dead board, processor or both? I was thinking about reseating the cooler and processor. Thats about all I can think of, unless 3 LED's mean the CPU works but I killed the video card.

Thanks,

J

Hi cpuz, I took it back out and took it down to 1 stick, video and all power in. Still no vid and 3 LED's

One thing I noticed, the BIOS seemed to remember some stuff. Using the board-based power I have to hold it down for 4-secs, which I setup manually in the BIOS. Same with power on by keyboard/mouse click. They both work.

I the board was full on dead, would the BIOS remember those things? Just trying to pin it down to dead cpu, video or board.

Thanks

Holy sugarbeets that may have been a totally close call. Just for the heck of it I took the ram out and stuck it in ddr2 instead of ddr4. No boot. Stuck the 2nd stick on ddr4. Booted ok.

So now it's back to dropping in the case *with* the standoffs this time. : )

Although maybe, just maybe, I will take the whole rig into my local mom-n-pop shop and have them set it up. At least the basics anyway. I am a MSSQL/IIS/AD guy, not much into the hardware.