NF4 Ultra D Goes Nuts Again!

Earlier in the week I cleared my CMOS and the rig would not BOOT Windows. I solved the problem by Booting with my Twinmos RAM 256 x2. Then I carefully battled the board and worked my way back using the Corsair c25 and got the rig to prime for 6 hours 260 x 10 with the 2/09 BIOS.

Today I decided to Flash to 310 BIOS.

So, I Reboot the rig, go into Genie set the FSB (HTT) to 200, multiplier set to 10 unchanged. Hit F10 get a BSOD instead of a BOOT.

Using power button restarted rig and got the BOOT LOOP syndrome. Tried with one stick of Corsair in top orange slot, no good. Dropped Ram voltage to 2.6 no good.

Install 2 sticks of Twinmos, BOOTS right up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have run extensive tests on the Corsair RAM with memorytest86 and cannot get errors at 260 x10. Does the Ultra D hate Corsair?

A DFI Ultra D user in Germany has been PM back and forth with me and he has the same exact issue. I don't think he has Corsair 4400 c25.

Weird motherboard, ever since I cleared the CMOS the other day it has been downhill.

sparx

havent had boot problems yet (and i did reboot alot allready ;))

only when trial and erroring the mem options i sometimes had to reset bios with jumper (worked fine)

bios 10/3 works fine for me (i even think a lil better for mem, but still need more testing for that)

i did find out the following last few days:

something in the mem area (not sure if its the mem, or pwm ic or something else) wants .ING much airflow to loop memtest test8

when i pointed an ULTRA LOUD 120mm on that area, memtests suddenly did wanne loop test8, even at pretty aggressive settings

but when i put that fan on 7v instead of 12v (then its still blows alot harder then my silent coolermaster fans @ 12v!!) it started erroring again,

then i pointed it a lil more in the direction of pwm ic (but still on mem too) and it could handle 10 passes of test8 again

so im pretty sure: something out there is running very hot and holding me back

I have had active cooling on the mosfets (just to the right of the CPU socket) on this board since the day I installed Smartguardian. My Pwm (is it?) temps are 35C when I am running Prime95.

No gal damn computer that was running 260 x 10 gaming and priming should Blue Screen because the FSB was dropped from 260 to 200 and rebooted.

No damn computer should wack out wen the CMOS is cleared and "optimized defaults' are selected and then a BOOT is attempted.

Makes no sense, I not the best builder on the block, but after building and breaking computers for four years I have yet to see a rig not BOOT after DROPPING THE FSB!

Crap, I'll take stability over speed and flash anyday!

sparx

I had this problem with earlier bios due to the vdimm not sticking. I would set it to say 3.0 BUT if I didnt save right away and went to another item listed in the bios it would default back to 2.6v. I would get constant reboots when trying to load windows because of this. Raising the vdimm back up then saving right after changing vdimm without moving the cursor helped this. Try using the +/- keys to change setting instead of entering into the heading and selecting.

Well, this all is too wierd for me.

I suppose I should slap the Corsair into my ABIT Av8 and see if it runs and then run memorytest86 to check for errors.

Not sure what to do with the motheboard, no kind thoughts come to mind.

sparx

• 3 weeks later...

Update.

Since I acquired (2 x 512) of G. Skill pc 4400 LE RAM and failed to duplicate the issues (problems) in this and other threads I believe the CORSAIR 4400 C25 was the issue. Even though I did not ever get errors in memtest86 replacing the RAM made a difference.

In case you wanted to know.

sparx