Sign in to follow this  
Rabbi

AMD64 Turion Mobile

I'm interested in the Turion, but I have some reservations about it.

"Much as we suspected, all of the power optimizations that went "into" Turion 64 are all transistor level optimizations. Basically selecting transistors that provide better thermal and power characteristics at the expense of lower switching frequencies. Given that the Turion 64 runs at multiple speed grades lower than the fastest desktop Athlon 64s, this tradeoff makes sense, but it also means that Turion 64 is no Pentium M killer"

This was stated by AMD's CTO. Looks like the Turion could either be mediocre, or just plain crap for OC'ing. I just can't justify something with slow transistors over my 3700+.

I serously dont think it performs slower clock for clock. Not to mention a 1mb version is by no means gonna perform slower than a 512k counterpart. These things are gonna clock 2.8 and higher on AIR all day long tho...atleast they should.

So where's my PM :) , iam interested, definatly wanna see em in action though!
If you asked it will come :)

Ask and ya'll shall receive (I before E except after C)

I serously dont think it performs slower clock for clock. Not to mention a 1mb version is by no means gonna perform slower than a 512k counterpart. These things are gonna clock 2.8 and higher on AIR all day long tho...atleast they should.

They won't hit 2.8 if they are intentionally putting slow transistors in them.

Ask and ya'll shall receive (I before E except after C)

I'd like a PM about this too. I have to believe.

As far as im concerned your "info" has no merit. These things are gonna clock awesome, and they have SSE3. :drool:

As far as im concerned your "info" has no merit. These things are gonna clock awesome, and they have SSE3. :drool:

SSE3 does little for the A64 architecture since it was designed for the Netburst. It may provide a boost, but it's nothing to buy a new processor for.

As for my "info," why would the CTO of AMD want to downplay his own product if he wasn't telling the truth?

http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2387&p=4

Guest AAdjuster

Rabbi, I.m interested in this send me 1 of those pm's thank you.

PM's sent :)

robberbaron,

the top of the range Turion is going to be 2.4GHz... when they say slow switching they mean slowER I think... I won't be suprised if we see 2.7Ghz on a regular basis under aircooling... but we'll see I guess

Ok, I'll bite. Need to replace my mobile 3400 that has such a bad memory controller. Please send PM. Thanks

Ok, I'll bite. Need to replace my mobile 3400 that has such a bad memory controller. Please send PM. Thanks

What makes you think the memory controller is crap? Not saying that it isn't.... jus curious

You have PM