AMD64 Turion Mobile

Rabbi

fyi post - xbit labs got their hands on a sempron 3100 based on the e core revision

thanks, tc. great news. and only w/256 cache!

i have a question. i've never bought a 'first wave' cpu before. was wondering if conventional wisdom deems this wise or to wait after manufacturing techniques are tweaked or whatever?

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

vega, i think this will be hard to gauge right off the bat. over time, generally the process will get better and due to this the chips will overclock more however there are always exceptions. the latest exceptions seem to be the winchester s939 cores. the latest cores for these are not as good as the older cores between 0441 and 0450. (MPMW anyone?)

you should be able to figure out how the new chips do within a week or two after the are launched.(err i mean released) people here (as well as at xtremesystems) should have some by then. if most of them are overclocking past 2700 on air then i don't think you have anything to be afraid of.

For anyone interested in Turion, keep an eye out at memoryexpousa.com. I emailed a sales rep a little less than a month ago, and he said they received a few Turion models for testing. According to him, they were going to be available in April. I am planning to email or call them soon and see if I can get more info.

I'll try to keep you guys updated.

All that talk about slower transistors sounds like marketing to me. Also keep in mind that AMD does not support the use of mobile processors in desktops, so it could just propoganda to discourage overclockers for buying the chip. Then again, we won't know for sure until a few people have had a chance to try them out.

For anyone interested in Turion, keep an eye out at memoryexpousa.com. I emailed a sales rep a little less than a month ago, and he said they received a few Turion models for testing. According to him, they were going to be available in April. I am planning to email or call them soon and see if I can get more info.

I'll try to keep you guys updated.

Thanks a lot bro... let us know how that phone call goes. I just emailed them as well, hopefully we'll all be able to get a Turion soon.

I called them on the phone, and the lady I talked to said she couldn't find anything on their computers about Turion. She said that this doesn't mean they won't be selling them, and to call back in a week or so, or email one of the sales people, because they'd probably be more involved in testing and evaluating whether the product will be sold in large quantities.

So I'm not sure what to think. Unfortunately the phone call wasn't very helpful. If I had time I wouldn't asked to speak with someone else, but I had to leave for work. I'm waiting for a reply to my email, which will hopefully be much more informative.

What I might suggest is that anybody who is serious about purchasing a Turion email them. I'm sure if they had 5-10 guaranteed sales off the bat, they would be much more inclined to stock the item.

I would expect Excaliberpc to be one of the first vendors to carry the Turions as they were one of the first I saw to carry the 62watt mobiles, but their site seems to be down...and has been for a while, did they go out of business or change their address? :rolleyes: I'm pretty excited about this, tired of all the Socket 939 praise :nod:

As for the whole RAM despute, I was able to get my TwinMOS ValueRAM up to 260MHz with 3.5 volts on the first go, so...

I would expect Excaliberpc to be one of the first vendors to carry the Turions as they were one of the first I saw to carry the 62watt mobiles, but their site seems to be down...and has been for a while, did they go out of business or change their address?

I believe they were bought out by newegg. :cool:

I agree, everyone should email memoryexpousa.com... I did and have had a reply already. They are trying to get them in but nothing is in stock yet... I linked them to this thread so they knew how much interest there was for Turions.

Bout Excaliber... they are still alive and kicking here:

http://www.excaliberpc.com/

yes the paper release(amd said they were available and shipping on that day) happened on March 10th. However no one can find one just yet. Give it a few more weeks.

Is the cpu released by AMD yet to the public ?
as to memoryexpousa. thanks alot for posting this information but has anyone actually bought something from them before? they have killer mobile prices(they have s754 90nm a64s based on winchester for 120) but their website looks a little dated and they don't have any reseller ratings. even if they got in turions i would be hard pressed to buy one from an unknown place.

I personally have not bought anything from them. I agree their site is pretty basic, and it seems kind of shady at first, but after communicating with them for the last month or so, I'd feel pretty comfortable about ordering through them. The sales people I emailed were all very curteous and helpful. And I haven't verified it or anything, but they do have an address listed at the bottom of their site, along with phone, fax, and numerous emails.

Although they do not have any resellerratings, if you do a Google search for MemoryExpoUSA, you should be able to come up with a few individual's experiences, all positive.

Rabbi: Any word about if they do get them in stock, when it would be?