Questions re. (RGone's "NF4 - Some Help Getting Up & Running

Are the settings RGone suggests (http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5844) for any system with an NF4 board? Do you have to have a certain type of memory, video, etc.? In particular, are the DRAM settings appropriate for my memory type? Are they only for those overclocking? Or, are the settings the base settings every system should have prior to doing anything further?

Will these settings benefit my system? If so, in what ways will it be beneficial?

Aside: using the stock heatsink, overclock settings do you recommend to begin with? 250x9? 275x9? Given whatever setting I go with can I leave the DRAM (& voltage) settings as RGone suggests?

Are the settings RGone suggests (http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5844) for any system with an NF4 board? Do you have to have a certain type of memory, video, etc.? In particular, are the DRAM settings appropriate for my memory type? Are they only for those overclocking? Or, are the settings the base settings every system should have prior to doing anything further?

Will these settings benefit my system? If so, in what ways will it be beneficial?

Aside: using the stock heatsink, overclock settings do you recommend to begin with? 250x9? 275x9? Given whatever setting I go with can I leave the DRAM (& voltage) settings as RGone suggests?

Man that is a guide. You don't like it or want to setup some settings of your own simply forget you ever saw that thread. It ain't no deal. Not law a simple guide as to what I was running at the time. Nothing more and nothing less. You are just forturnate to have someone give settings that are in the ballpark and normally not up in the stands somewhere. I suggest you do your own setup and tuning and then if you are lost> well look at the guide.

EDIT: let me say one thing though as an afterthought. I am running some settings very close to those and have gotten to where I can game FLATOUT at 270X10 and am now priming for nearly an hour at 265X10 again with nearly those settings. Can run memtest86+ V1.51 and all. This all on my 3500+ that was zapped during beta testing of the NF4 boards. So suit yourself on timings and voltages and whatever as it truly is a user test and tune situation for each board anyway.

RGone...

I was hoping I could copy it as I am new to tweaking, OCing, etc. Restated, I don't know what all of this means. It is very difficult to do my own setup and tuning as I don't even know what most of these labels mean (eg, cpu throttling, pci pay load, LTD/FSB, CPU/FSB, etc.).

So, I ask you once again, if I were to copy your specs to my system would it work, and would it make it perform better. I am interested in tweaking and OCing but don't know where to start.

Leepark,

I used RG's settings, they worked well for me. I have been changing the settings a little at a time and testing after each change, looking for as much speed as I can get without compromising stability. As you can see from my sig below, I am now up to 300MHz HTT, although I had to pump up the CPU volts to get there. I am now around 1.66vcore, which is pretty dang high I think for air cooling. I believe that a good watercooling setup is in my immediate future :) . Give the settings a try without overclocking first, and then slowly raise your HTT. I was only able to get to 230MHz keeping my cpu multiplier at 10x. Your mileage may vary. Good luck!

I am running some settings very close to those and have gotten to where I can game FLATOUT at 270X10 and am now priming for nearly an hour at 265X10 again with nearly those settings. Can run memtest86+ V1.51 and all. This all on my 3500+ that was zapped during beta testing of the NF4 boards.

Yo RGone, can you zap mine, too? :)

Leepark,

I used RG's settings, they worked well for me. I have been changing the settings a little at a time and testing after each change, looking for as much speed as I can get without compromising stability. As you can see from my sig below, I am now up to 300MHz HTT, although I had to pump up the CPU volts to get there. I am now around 1.66vcore, which is pretty dang high I think for air cooling. I believe that a good watercooling setup is in my immediate future :) . Give the settings a try without overclocking first, and then slowly raise your HTT. I was only able to get to 230MHz keeping my cpu multiplier at 10x. Your mileage may vary. Good luck!

Thanks for your feedback.

What benefits did you realize with RGone's settings (vs default)? Do you think I should set the numbers to exactly as RGone suggests? Are these settings applicable for my setup (see below)?

Sorry for the dumb questions but...

1. When you overclock where and when exactly can you notice the performance enhancements?

2. Can you keep playing with numbers (HTT, multiplier, voltage, etc.) as much as you want as long as it is stable? Are there numbers (voltage, etc.) that I should stay under?

The sticky timings (exactly, except I kept interleave enabled) have gotten me to 293 HTT, stable at 3.0V. I'd suggest putting them in and running a few memtests.

You'll notice the o/c difference in all benchmarks. If you aren't a gamer, you probably won't notice them anywhere else.

You can tweak and tweak and tweak (and keep going). As long as it's stable, you're golden.

I keep my RAM at 3.0V or less, and my CPU at 1.65V or less. Keep an eye on the temps.

I don't like load CPU temps over 46 or 47 (some say 40). And my RAM gets up to 62 at full load 3.0V, which is a bit scary.

I was hoping I could copy it as I am new to tweaking, OCing, etc. Restated, I don't know what all of this means. It is very difficult to do my own setup and tuning as I don't even know what most of these labels mean (eg, cpu throttling, pci pay load, LTD/FSB, CPU/FSB, etc.).

So, I ask you once again, if I were to copy your specs to my system would it work, and would it make it perform better. I am interested in tweaking and OCing but don't know where to start.

leepark, here is an excellent guide to get started with:

http://i4memory.com/showthread.php?t=327

Best of all, it's geared directly towards A64, 3200+ and Ultra-D.