How to make a Windows XP CD with NVRAID Drivers built in.

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK, thank you.

I encounter another problem : I don't find the WINNT.sif file.

I have read in this thread that I should find the file, because this file since it is built by nLite during configuration of the unattended install CD.

I have just used nLite, created an unattended Windows XP install and exited just before nLite asked me "do you want to start the process ?", without creating the image. And when I search in WinISOI386 folder, I find a few WINNT files but not a sif type.

I tried to create Winnt.sif with deploy.cab but I don't know how to use it, there are several tools included in deploy.cab file.

Maybe should I choose "yes" when nLite asks "do you want to start the process ?" ?

Thanks for your answer.

Otherwise you have to use the tool deploy.cab to create the winnt.sif.

You can find the tool on your original Windows XP CD within the foder "Support":

SupportToolsDEPLOY.CAB

I don't find the WINNT.sif file.

I have read in this thread that I should find the file, because this file since it is built by nLite during configuration of the unattended install CD.

I have just used nLite, created an unattended Windows XP install and exited just before nLite asked me "do you want to start the process ?", without creating the image. And when I search in WinISOI386 folder, I find a few WINNT files but not a sif type.

Maybe should I choose "yes" when nLite asks "do you want to start the process ?" ?

That's exactly what you have to do. When you do not choose "yes", nLite does not create the WINNT.SIF, which is necessary for the unattended install.

Good luck

Fernando

I have tried this with Unattended install... Worked PERFECT.

My question is, will it work without unattended install? Can I still enter a different key during setup with an unattended install?

Thanks

I have tried this with Unattended install... Worked PERFECT.

My question is, will it work without unattended install? Can I still enter a different key during setup with an unattended install?

Thanks

Only if you don't enter a key when using nlite.

Only if you don't enter a key when using nlite.

So when nlite asks me for the key in the key box, just leave it BLANK and XP will ask me for a key during install? and my raid drives will still work?

i didnt understand why you needed an unattended install just to get the drivers to work. i saw that you did in another guide tho too.

thanks

So when nlite asks me for the key in the key box, just leave it BLANK and XP will ask me for a key during install? and my raid drives will still work?

Yes!

I didnt understand why you needed an unattended install just to get the drivers to work.

If you choose the unattended install, the winnt.sif is created automaticly by nLite. Otherwise you have to build it manually and this is rather complicated for beginners.

great guide :nod: , I of course set up my raid on the si3114 instead of the nvidia SATA controller (just to be difficult)

I presume it wouldn't be too hard to adapt these instructions for the si3114 drivers?

I also presume that using nLite alone, one can't integrate raid drivers because you would need to mod the WINNT.SIF and TXTSETUP.SIF files?

Any suggestions?

Yep, you need the unattended install to create the SIF file. I also integrated a few other drivers, like the 6.53 NForce drivers, video drivers, and monitor. You could probably do yours the same, just change the file names appropriately.

Here's what you do: Use Nlite to customize your install, going through all the steps EXCEPT creating an ISO file. Add other drivers with Nlite if you would like. After you have gone through Nlite's whole process and have your install all customized, follow Cythrawl's instructions to manually add the RAID drivers. When you're all done, use Nlite to create an ISO (don't redo any of the other steps or you could screw up the manual install instructions you just put in), only use the step to create an ISO. Burn the ISO with Nero or whatever you're using, and you're good to go.

A very important thing to remember is when burning your XP disk, use the slowest speed that your burner/software will let you, or you will have a pretty good chance the disk wont work.

Hello,

I customized a Windows XP CD with nLite, Nvraid 6.14 included (DFI Lan Party UT Nf3 250 GB).

Before installing the 2 RAID disks, I had two XP installation on 2 disks with a few partitions on each of them.

Then I installed XP from this customized CD on 2x160 GB RAID 0, on 3 and 4 ports. I followed the procedure given by RGone in another thread ("installing RAID SATA ports 3 and 4"), and at the end of XP installation, the following message displays : "unmountable boot volume".

After some search, it seems that it is caused by my boot.ini file. Indeed, this one matches each Windows Xp installation and each partition. As the 2 RAID disks should be seen as only 1 disk, it should be speciified that this RAID array matches the new Windows XP intallation.

To do that, I think that I should enter the recovery console from Windows XP CD, then I should use commands like "bootcfg /rebuild", or "fixbbot" or else "fixmbr" to rebuild the boot.ini file, matching the new RAID array.

But, to do that, I think that I need the Nvidia drivers loaded before entering in the recovery console, in order to have the RAID configuration detected. And here is the problem : I cannot activate the recovery console with my slipstreamed Windows XP CD, I don't know why. Normally, one can access this console by clicking "R", at the beginning of Windows XP loading, after the drivers loading. Nevertheless, I can access the recovery console by using my original Windows XP CD but this time, it is impossible to load Nvidia drivers from the diskette Nvidia RAID driver rev 1.0, the following message appears : "The txtsetup.oem file generated an unwaited error (4096) in the line number 1742 in d:ntbootstupoemdisk.c". I have just changed my floppy cable for a new one and my floppy driver seems to work fine in Windows.

So I don't know how to overcome this problem. Would someone have an idea ?

Did you try doing a complete format of the NVRAID volume when installing XP? If you don't, you are asking for problems because the old Master Boot Record will still be on the drives. You may even need to use a dos program to wipe the drives clean so XP doesn't see the old install.