soundx98

The ULTIMATE MBM 5 Settings/Help Thread

Maybe it is reading 2d mode since you are not 3ding at the moment ;)

AFAIK mem freq doesn't have 2 diff values since if u increased them in 2D or 3D mode both modes will have the same freq, the gpu core freq is the only freq that can have 2 values one for 2D and one for 3D

A note on the GPU Clocks - these are correct when the General setting is in Celsius but not when changing to Fahrenheit, altough I would like these OC's ;)

Celsius

mbm5dbgpuclkprob3c9id.jpg

Fahrenheit

mbm5dbgpuclkprob3f8rc.jpg

So for us 7800 impaired users, is this what you guys are talking about?

http://www.hardwarezone.com/articles/view.php?cid=0&id=1660

This just refers to the 7800 due to it's ppower saving technology, correct?

And we discussed the "degree symbol" earlier in the thread. It just makes sense to me that it would read differently if set to Farenheit. I still find it useful as I use Celcius for monitoring, I just hope it doesn't confuse the typical user.

Thank you everyone for your input.

Secondary geometry boost is a term loosely paraphrased from the term geometry delta which the author's of Nvidia bios modifier v3 use when describing the xtra overclock added on the the base overclock on 7800 gtx cards. You can download the program from Guru3d.com and see what I'm referring to basically it's an xtra 40MHz in performance 3D mode on a stock 7800gtx.

My overclock is set to 513/1350 by rivatuner and this is what appear in the Nvidia properties tab, but I've use coolbit's on occasion also both seem to work equally well.

As I said before the plugin can see only what the nv driver can. If you use some wierd way of overclocking that bypasses the driver it might not report good values :(. I don't thing there is a easy fix for this, but I'll see what I can do...

What is the advantage of using "geometry delta" over coolbits?

Ok, now I know what "geometry delta" is:

Fgpu* (Geometry Delta) is the extra frequency of G70's geometric block for defined mode (2D, LP3D, 3D). Growth-sorting protection is spread on this parameter also. It means that Fgpu2D* <= FgpuLP3D* <= Fgpu3D*. This feature is enabled for 7x00 series cards only!

Any leadtek 7800 users reading this (and have the "geometry delta" changed through the bios editor)?

edit: not needed any more...

_xhp_: I'm not sure this "Geometry delta" is really a problem. I don't know which of the 2 readings is actually a more accurate measure of core speed. I just thought it was interesting that you to found a core output reading that differed from that used by rivatuner program. I wouldn't have thought there would have been two independent outputs.

I have an EVGA. why specifically Leadtek?

_xhp_: I'm not sure this "Geometry delta" is really a problem. I don't know which of the 2 readings is actually a more accurate measure of core speed. I just thought it was interesting that you to found a core output reading that differed from that used by rivatuner program. I wouldn't have thought there would have been two independent outputs.

I agree... It is hard to define core speed for the G70 as it has a couple of them, a different one for a different part of the core. So everybody is correct, and everybody is happy...

I dont't know how rivatuner gets the clocks speeds (I assumed it was the same way, but it clearly isn't)...

I have an EVGA. why specifically Leadtek?

Becouse of leadtek winfox2.0 application and it's hardware monitoring...

The temperatures originates from nv display properties, but I had no luck with the frequences there, so I took another look at the winfox and problems solved...

Simply by looking at the numbers the leadtek user is getting from winfast I could get a lot of info...

I downloaded and installed winfox2.0. Interesting program; easy to read interface. Strangely enough it finds a fan speed, ambient temperature and Gpu voltage on my 7800GTX (unlike rivatuner). Now I don't know if the ambient temp is correct as it shows the same as the pwmic and may be a misread, but the voltage shows 1.3V which is one of my 3 preset voltages (1.2, 1.3, 1.4). The 2d speed is shown as 275/1323 which is what I have it set at. 3d is shown as 515/1326. Rivatuner shows the 1323 reading while NVdriver seems to show 1326.

Interestingly my GPU core temps seemed to drop from 48C to 44C idle on all sensors. I'm uncertain if this is because of the reboot or some unknown factor but I hope it's permanent :)

edit: ok did some stress tests the GPU ambient temp reading comes from a different sensor than pwmic reading.

let me know if you need anything specific. I'll do my best to help.

WOW! loading winfox2.0 has lowered my Farcry temp max from 80C to 69C. Why on Earth would that happen? My Mhz speeds seem to be exactly the same. Could it have changed my default video quality settings?

Winfox is probably changing your GPU fan speed.

On my BFG 6800gt, the default fan speed is only 53%. I found this through RivaTuner. The fan ran at 53% at all times, 2d and 3d. I confirmed this by using nvflash to make a backup copy of my video bios then I check it with the nvidia bios modifier where it showed that the bios had only one fan speed programmed and it was 53%.

I decided to mod the bios so my fan would run at 100% all the time. The flash worked good for lowering the temps but the card was a bit louder in 2d so I installed Gainward's EXPERTool and used it to set the fan to run at 60% in 2d mode and 100% in 3d mode.

One of these days I may try to mod the 60% 2d / 100% 3d settings into the bios but for now, EXPERTool is set to load at startup and it's working just fine. Temps are much lower, especially when gaming.

BTW... Thanks again _xhp_!