The ULTIMATE MBM 5 Settings/Help Thread

soundx98

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Will get onto expanding this and also develop a 'How to on the Dashboard' just need a bit more time to grab shots, etc...

Will get there soon :D

Cheers

@ _xhp_ . Yes, of course. It's done.

@SaFrOuT and ncsa - maybe a screen with the DASH BOARD OPENED ALL THE WAY UP. (and how to open it up with the Little Lock) I still think that some NV users will expect to see their card temps in the location for ATITool temps.

ncsa can you please make sure you also include links to _xhp_'s RivaTuner plug-in files since you've got the RivaTuner tutorial. Also give credit to UnWinder and a link to RivaTuner download location.

SaFrOuT prolly be a good idea to include a link to _xhp_'s driver plug-ins in your post. Better to duplicate a link than have a new user need to search for it.

Soundx98 & xhp,

I have MBM5 up and running on my new system now. With all of Soundx98's "Fields" active.

Thank you both for your hard work getting MBM5 working with our DFI broads.

I read this whole thread, BTW. My take on the current status is; Nvidia users may not need to use RivaTuner any more. But, I do not understand how to test the w/o RivaTuner process. I don't think I have another use for RivaTuner so I'd like to reclaim the 8mb RivaTuner uses, if I can.

By the way, there is no straight forward way to setup MBM in Samurize. The Sensor numbers are completly off, and I had to trial and error it. I have no clue if it would be the same for MBMs on other people's machines.

Take the NF4 for example. In Samurize, the sensor it is reading this from is 37 and MBM shows this as voltage sensor number 6.

That is normal and expectable considernig the mbm sensors layout in the memory... Don't worry - the numbers should be the same for all users

It should be something like this:

0 - temp sensor 1, 1 - temp sensor 2, ...

33 - voltage 1, ...

48 - fan 1, ...

And please, no PDFs :)

There are many neat things that can be done with Samurize, but I'm only going to cover the basics for the reaons we are here.

Programs required:

Latest version of Samurize

Last version of MotherBoard Manager

MBM's NF3 & NF4 Configuration files

Latest version of Rivatuner

Rivatuner MUST be open and running first in order for the Samurize Rivatuner plugin to work, and you must enable Background Monitoring within it in order for the data to be transmitted to Samurize. When you run Rivatuner, under the Main tab, click where it says Customize then click on Hardware Monitoring, and finally click on the big red dot on the lower left corner.

Same goes for MBM. Unless it is running, Samurize will not have any data feed to insert.

There are 2 Samurize plugins which my configuration requires, but the Samurize file will automatically install them into your Samurize folder. Once installed, make sure MBM & Rivatuner (or whatever you are using for your Videcard) are fully running.

Downloading & Installing Config File

Once you install Samurize, download my Samurize Config File. Double clicking on the file should automatically bring up the import/export window. Importing it automatically should install it directly into your Samurize folder.

Picture3.jpg

During the installation, it will ask you for your NIC card. My config uses a meter which displays NIC usage.

Picture1.jpg

Editing Config File

***Warning***

Samrize doesn't have an UNDO feature. Save your settings as you go along!!!

And now to run the Samurize config editor:

1)Start > Programs > Serious Samurize x.xx > Config Tool

2)Click on the open file button or File > Open. Samurize should automatically direct you to where the .ini files are stored. Desktop2.ini is the one you want.

3) Once open, scroll over to the right to see the configuration we will be playing with.

Background Opacity

Picture4.jpg

If you have a bright background, it may be difficult to read the information given in Samurize. It is suggested to reduce the amount of transparency on the given background for now until you come up with your own background you may like.

Click on the border area of the background as indicated by the blue arrow. Doing so will ensure you select only the background. Over to the right in the Edit Graphics tab you will see the Image Properties section. Master Alpha is your transparency effect, and the selectable values are between 0-255. Select a value which will make it easy to view your data with your background.

MBM Data

[bimg]http://bellsouthpwp.net/f/l/flybye/Samurize/Picture2-2.jpg[/bimg]

Left click CPU: XXC & notice the Tools & Settings tool box to the right of it

General

This tab allows you to configure the basic properties of this particular meter.

Meter Name: Any name you wish to call this meter, and is only used as a reference within the configuration.

Draw Type: Will display the information in the desired eye candy of your choice.

X & Y positions: Position 0,0 is on the upper left corner. Positive X moves to the right and positive Y to the bottom. I don't think the makers of Samurize passed Geometry :P

Width & Height: Controls the dimensions of the meter window. But this meter being in Text mode, the text will stay the same size. Obviously, you do not want too many meters overlapping or it will become a nightmare when trying to move them around amongst each other. Then again, the up and down arrows in the tool bar allow you to bring forward and backwards each meter to make it easier to select whatever meter you want to get to.

Enable Alert Value: An alarm setting just like in MBM

Show Peak Value: I'm sure you'll figure this one out ;)

Refresh Interval (ms): The speed you want this meter to refresh itself.

Source

These sensor numbers don't exactly match those in MBM. Unfortunately, I had to trial and error it moving from number to number, but Samurize is nice enough to at least tell you the type of sensor it is (Temperature, Voltage, etc)

Display

Being a Text meter. here you have full control of what you want that text to look like. %v is the basic value Samurize uses to display the information. You can use any text you would like around it.

Input

Allows you to configure this text as a shortcut to anything your little heart desires.

The voltages are setup (in this config) the same as the temperatures, and are feed directly from MBM.

Video Card Data

The RivaTuner plugin should have automatically been installed from my config file.

Picture5.jpg

The BFG 6800 Ultra OC 256mb is just a simple text box. Left-click it to select, select the Display tab over on the right, and enter yor video card information. You don't even need to have this text box, and you can also delete it.

Left-click the data field directly under the text BFG 6800... You will notice the only tab on the right that has really changed is the Source tab. Notice the rivatuner.dll has been selected. The first 3 data fields for the video card pull their info directly from Rivatuner. Assuming you have Rivatuner setup properly in order for these 3 fields to show the info. To test the plugin, select Test from the top left drop down menus and select Test All Scripts & Plugins. Or just push F5 to test them.

Picture6.jpg

The last 2 data fields pull their info directly from MBM. Assuming you have the correct plugin for MBM to pull the data directly from the video card drivers, these last 2 fields should also work.

Everyone has different rigs, and so I decided to leave the Rivatuner and MBM video card fields in together. To delete the ones you don't want, simply left-click the field and push the delete button.

Basic Stuff

Well, lets say you don't have 2 harddrives and you've deleted some info fields that you don't need/want, and now you got those borders with some space in them.

Picture8.jpg

Left-click on any of the borders as shown. Look over to the left and you'll see the Edit Graphics tab selected with a few options underneath. Here you can select shape, size, background color, and roundess of the corners of this particular graphic box selected.

And how exactly do you add your own info box?

Picture7.jpg

Left click anywhere on the black work area, and you will get a menu with a ton of options. You can see the Add Plugin option which allows you to add a box from any plugin designed for Samurize, and MBM boxes can be added from the Hardware Status option at the bottom.

You can also add meters or images by going over to the Tools And Settings menu on the right, selecting the Edit Meters & Add Meter or Edit Graphics and Add Background Object. The General tab allows you to select if you will be displaying text, a chart, graph, etc. There are all sorts of eye candy to experiment with.

Finally, to pop it up on your background, run the Samurize client, right click on its taskbar icon and select your config file, and it should pop up on your desktop!!

www.samurize.com has a ton of helpful hints and different configs to use. There are a ton of things out there, and some created by graphic artists are stunning. My config took me about a week to where I wanted it to be.

Here is a brief outline of the MBM5 Dashboard Controls:

The Side Bar

Close: mbm5dbclose0ia.jpg Minimise: mbm5dbminimise9cl.jpg AutoHide mbm5dbautohide8yr.jpg Window: mbm5dbwindowctrl7bi.jpg Settings: mbm5dbsettings7id.jpg Lock: mbm5dblock8ti.jpg Translucent: mbm5dbtrans2rv.jpg

Close & Minimise

Standard Windows operation; Close will close the Dashboard but not exit MBM5 - Minimise will reduce the Dashboard to a window by the Start button:

mbm5dbminimise10mq.jpg

AutoHide

With this set to #4 placing the Dashboard will allow it to Autohide when the mouse is moved away.

Either to the side:

mbm5dbautohide19dm.jpg or to the bottom of the screen: mbm5dbautohide20ie.jpg

Window Control

These allow you to open or close the Window View and arrange the meters were you would like. It is also possible to close the window down and hide meters, so if they have disappeared then open the window and find them. The window size is quite generous.

mbm5dbwindow16gq.th.jpg mbm5dbwindow20nz.th.jpg mbm5dbwindow36bj.jpg

Settings

This will quickly bring up the Settings screen

mbm5dbsettings13bx.th.jpg

Lock

This locks the meters and prevents you accidently moving them about.

Translucent Slider

The slider allows you to make the Dashboard translucent to see the application behind.

It starts out as a solid view and can easily get lost .. so care is needed here.

mbm5dbtrans16co.th.jpg mbm5dbtrans25gq.th.jpg mbm5dbtrans37sk.th.jpg

Oh wow. ncsa nice work. Those red dots didn't show upwhen I first looked, looks great now. Parts of my PM obviously don't apply anymore :)

@_xhp_, ncsa, and SaFrOuT - you have PM.

@ Flybye - added to link to your Post #574 in thread. Just edit it with your tutorial when you get a chance. Than ks again for making time.

@sovah - glad we got it sorted out man :cool:

I'm still confused on the 7800 issue.

Really appreciate the info Autochthon!

Does it only display ONE temp?

Are the Sensors "hidden" or "blocked"?

Too new for _xhp_ driver to read?

and is the SLI temp reading issue solved for all NV cards?

Thanks for the thumbs up snook.

ANY input from other new users on ease of setup?