The ULTIMATE MBM 5 Settings/Help Thread

soundx98

Thanks for the nice words Ellis.

I think one of the real beauties of MBM5 is that is so easy to configure and calibrate.

It's a shame more aren't familiar with measuring with a DMM but it's a still great guide to voltages and temps and tracks from idle to load very well.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I noticed after setting up MBM5 for my UT LP Ultra-D that SmartGuardian & MBM5 showed different values for CPU fan speed. When I originally set up MBM5, I had issues with my PSU's fan, and was instructed to tweak the fan divider to get it to read correctly, which I did, and it worked great. :) So since MBM5 was reading about 2x what SmartGuardian was reporting I thought I needed to try the same thing, tweak the fan divider. To my surprise, I found that this caused SmartGuardian to report different value. :eek: Fiddling more with fan type and divider I got them both to read the same value, however I now have a confidence issue, not knowing if either is reporting the correct value. With fan type at "/2" and divider set to 4, both now report about 1400 RPMs. However, when I'm in BIOS its typically reading between 900 and 1000 RPM. Is there a way to read BIOS monitor values from within XP to validate that BIOS, SmartGuardian, and MBM5 are in agreement?

A number of people had reported to me that they are getting "driver didn't load" on MBM5 when the computer boots up in the Vista OSes..

yet, A click on OK and MBM5 appears to be working fine.

I've disabled DEP (except for MS programs) on my PC and now everything is fine.

Hope it helps, let me know if you have the issue.

hey guys, i'm trying to get mbm to display on my logitech g15. i'm using MBM2G15.exe 1.9.0.2 and when i check the 'cpu load' box, it crashes. is there anyway to fix this?

i've got an opteron 165 dualcore cpu if that helps

SOLVED.

I had a problem with "performance monitoring" on my PC. Most probably, it's been disabled. In the registry, check out these two keys:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESYSTEMCurrentControlSetServicesPerfProcPerformance

and

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESYSTEMCurrentControlSetServicesPerfOSPerformance

If the options for "Disable Performance Counters" is set to "1", then that means they are indeed off. Change the "1" to "0" and reboot.

If that still doesn't work. The following technote from Microsoft might be of some help:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/300956/EN-US/

TheCoolest has posted a response to a question on Core Temp in another thread and I thought I would repost it here as seems to answer some questions that have come up

The original thread at XS is here http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=103639

some questions in the Zalman thread at DFI here http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread.php?t=57761

Hello guys.

First of all I want to make something clear:

This feature was unofficial until the RevF AM2 CPUs, so I wouldn't take all readings you get from older chips as granted, as the DTS* could be off or not callibrated properly, I've seen a lot of dual core chips where the temp difference between the cores would be like 12C, and one of them would report sub-ambient temps :D

I think that in the majority of cases it is pretty much accurate, though.

Regarding how it calculates temperature on AMDs, Intel complicated things quite a bit with their chips, AMD kept it pretty straight forward. Just read a value from a register, substruct 49 from that value and you have the temperature in C.

The temperature can range between -49 and 206C, at least in Rev F. I don't know if in earlier chips its the same, but I'm assuming it is.

Another thing I noticed, sometimes, in sub-zero temperatures it'd show much lower temps than what MBM5 and the likes report, I don't know which of the two programs is more accurate, but it is possible that the DTS loses its accuracy when temps get really low.

*DTS = Digital Thermal Sensor.

Guest thespin

Hope I didn't miss this but can MBM5 be configured to read the same sensors as CoreTemp ? If not, will MBM5 be updated sometime ?

I have PMed TheCoolest and invited him to start his own thread on "Core Temp" in the software section of our forum.

As he stated in the "repost" above he feels it is accurate with "F" series processors and acknowledges issues with older K8s. Praz, Sorrento, and Pyr0 have all reported discrepancies with Dual Cores.

As for incorporating into MBM5 I am sure you are aware that Alex Van Kaam, author of MBM5, stopped development on it two years ago and has never released the source code. I don't believe I have seen a post from AVK anywhere since then.

Whether a plug-in such as _xhp_ has done, or an additional program like ATITool from W1zzard can be integrated I do not know. I'll give you more info as soon as I hear from TheCoolest. Good questions for sure spin.