The ULTIMATE MBM 5 Settings/Help Thread

soundx98

Great News Kris!

Thanks for all the effort you have put forth on this.

I hope many will try your new plug-in and I will update the 1st post in this thread.

Merry Christmas to you!

Important Notes:

1) There is, an as-of-yet, undiagnosed problem with MBM5 and any DFI motherboard in general which causes the CPU utilization to artifically increase and hold at 60-75% usage distributed across the cores making this plugin incompatable with these motherboards at this time. I will be working with DFI BIOS engineers to determine what might be causing this. I suspect it may have something to do with the SMBUS protocol application on these boards for the purposes of voltage control/readings.

2) Version 1.20 adds support for 64-bit systems. This version includes release notes/setup instructions specifically tailored for Vista 64-bit. Although I don't anticipate any problems, please report any bugs you may find. DO NOT use version 1.20 if you are running a 32-bit OS...it will NOT work.

soundx98

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

I recently upgraded to Vista x64 and am having issues getting MBM5 to work.

After I install the software, exit out of the configuration GUI, and then try to run the software I get an error pop up window that states "the driver didn't load". What can I do to fix this issue? I hope this hasn't been posted before, I tried searching here and google and couldn't find much on the issue. I did try to set the .exe to run as Admin but that didn't help solve the issue.

Also I'm not sure where to put the contents of MBMNVdriver zip that comes in the soundx98.zip. If you could point me to the exact folder name that would be great.

Sorry for all the noob questions and thank you all very much in advance for the help.

Also I'm not sure where to put the contents of MBMNVdriver or Data.rar zips that come in the soundx98.zip. If you could point me to the exact folder names that would be great.

There is your problem. Put the contents of the MBMNVdriver folder into the plugins folder inside of MBM5 (make sure to put the files in the plugin folder directly, not within a sub-folder).

For your error, extract the data.rar file and put those files (not the folder) inside of the data folder in MBM5. you should overwrite all files (about seven or so). once complete, MBM should start right up.

I have found times where even if this is done correctly it will not load. Then i just simply uninstall/reinstall MBM and apply the above changes and it starts fine. good luck!

Thanks snugglealufacus

But unfortunately the MBMNVdriver will not work in Vista 64.

And you will need to do an "F8" (to load the unsigned driver) before EVERY boot to get it to load.

I think you would be better off with everest (or better yet XP SP2/3)

Sorry I couldn't have been of help.

Thanks snugglealufacus

And you will need to do an "F8" (to load the unsigned driver) before EVERY boot to get it to load.

soundx98...this isn't entirely true. Download my latest 64-bit coretemp MBM5 plugin...you'll find directions in there for automating this process so that you'll never have to concern yourself with selecting F8 every time you boot.

There's a great little utility out there that I've included with my v1.20 release that I use with a command shortcut file and a couple of other shortcuts to completely automate this process. If you place the shortcut in your startup folder, as done in the example setup instructions, the shortcut loads both the MBM driver as well as my coretemp driver so that everything functions properly. Doing the same with the MBMNVdriver should take care of this...it would be as simple as adding one more line to load this driver and then ensuring that the .SYS file was in the same directory (or correctly pointed to).

-Kris

Thanks snugglealufacus

FreeCableGuy!! You da man! I'll try now.. Just got done with a reply and then noticed a few new posts, now I'm adding this as an edit. Thank you all for the help!

Any way maybe we could start up a donation thread to get the drivers signed for MBM. Anyone know how much that costs? I've used MBM5 on and off for years and love it. The other temp programs are always lacking. I'd throw down a few duckets on that cause and I'm sure others would also.

I guess I'll have to check out Everest and some of the other temp programs out there on them nets to see all my temps in game. My issue is that I already know how to use MBM5 and it works great for what I need it to do. Additionally I have a G15 and would like to see all my temps and stats on the keyboard LCD so that I don't have to alt tab with my power house single core AMD 3000. I guess that an OSD like MBM has would work also. I hope that Everest can do that.

On a side note I know that I can use AtiTool to get my "ATi video card" temps into MBM which then allows me export those to my G15 screen via MBM2G15; but now that I'm rockin' a XFX 8800GT 512MB Alpha Dog video card what program could I use to view my video card temps on preferably the G15 screen or an OSD that I can see in game? Suggestions using MBM5 and other programs would be great.

Once again thank you guys for all the help!

ATITool should be fine for monitoring your 8800 and port fine to MBM5.

Set it up just like ATI cards.

Send a PayPal donation to Kris at TTR and encourage him to keep up his fine work on MBM5.

Everest is great, but it's not free (although worth the money) :)

• 4 weeks later...

Okay - looking for a lil help from the guru's...

I have my new Blood Iron up and running with XP Pro 32bit and an e6750, but am having a bastard of a time getting MBM5 to work properly on it.

From a fresh start, I install MBM5, and its 2 updates. Then I apply the Version 1.13 (32-bit) Core plugin, and set up as shown at http://www.thetechrepository.com/showthread.php?t=74

After enabling the plugin, I get a few seconds of mixed readings, then a hard shutdown. Definitely confused....

Might be Update 2 thats giving me grief, tried again after reading through posts on pg. 62 and things are better. 2 temp sensors are working, although on an idle system core usages are 28% and 100%. Task manager says 50% system idle process, 48% a 'System' system process - which uses ~250K. Not sure what is, it still remains when MBM5 is closed. HijackThis doesn't reveal anything, and its still there after a restart. Nothing suspicious in msconfig, services.msc, Kapersky doesnt find anything. I know its started recently (today) but can't figure out what it could be.

Edit: the process stays active @ ~47% if MBM5 is shutdown, but if MBM5 is disabled from startup everything is fine.

Started MBM5 in debug mode:

Step 1:

Chip type: 0

ISA Address: 0000

SMBus Address: 0000

SMBus type:

Chip is accessed via ISA

Step 2-7:

Same as above

Step 8:

Chip type: 53

ISA Address: 0290

SMBus type: SMB CHIP

Chip is accessed via ISA

Step 9:

Chip type: 53

ISA Address: 0290

SMBus type: SMB CHIP

Chip is accessed via ISA

'System' system process starts and uses ~51% of cpu.

Step 9-21:

Same as step 9.

Really bugging me, as it does not diminish its usage at all, and will not relinquish cpu to anything else.

All steps performed, system reboted, MBM5 started and 'System' process observed:

- Disabled the 1.13 plugin, no change.

- Reinstalled MBM5/update2 and removed coretemp files from /mbm5/plugin and /system32/drivers, no change.

- Reinstalled as NT/2000 MB IO driver in automatic mode, no change.

- Reinstalled just 5.3.7.0, no change.

wtf....I'm done for the night....