The ULTIMATE MBM 5 Settings/Help Thread

soundx98

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

make it a quick and easy tutorial sooner or later.

Woohoo!! :nod:

Look forward to that as most of the stuff you'regoing on about at the moment is flying straight over my head!! :)

New release, alpha...

This version will work only for nv users. It reads the temps from the nv driver so you will get the same numbers as in the nv properties...

Why use this version - becouse no external programs are needed - memory usage = 144K (rivatuner > 6000K)...

Install: copy to plugin dir, start plugin...

Note: uses sensors 25 & 26 (& 24 & 23 for sli), 21&22 for the clocks...

How to set it up:

------------------------------------------------------------------

| SaFrOuT's tutorial:

| http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showpost.p...1&postcount=554

| ncsa's tutorial:

| http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showpost.p...4&postcount=556

------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As always, use at your own risc - any damage to your pc is not my fault..

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

tested and based on forceware 77.72, Win XP pro - might/should work on other setups...

Credit goes to Alexander van Kaam (for mbm), Kyrre Aalerud, and to nVidia :), and to leadtek :)

Change log:

* added v7.1 - it should display mem & core clock - sensors 21&22 + everything from v7... This is experimental version for testing... Report if it works...

* added v7.2 - it allows you to change sensor names through mbm... It is based on v7.1 so read above...

* added source code for v7.x - yeah, I know it looks simple ;)

Removed v3 to make some space for the source code (you should use v7, anyway)

* added v7.0 again as it misteriously dissapeared :confused: (this has reset the download count to 0). This recompiled version allows you to change sensor names. Removed v7.1 as it is not needed any more.

* added v7.22 - bug fixes and minor improvements - fixes sli min/max bug, allows seting of offsets through mbm, fully configurable sensor numbers (nvPlugin.ini), one version for all configurations (nvPlugin.ini), better handling of "fahrenheit" clock values (this is still a bit off - it seems mbm uses a slightly different formula to make the conversion - I use the one from wikipedia and am always 1-3 MHz off),

Ignore GPU and GPU ENV sensors from the original config from soundx98- they are for ATI cards & ATItool.

If you don't see the temperatures in the NV display properties you won't see them with the mbm5nvdriver plugin... You might see them with the mbm5rivatuner plugin if you set rivatuner to use one of the specific plugings for the sensor chips, but this depends on your GPU card.

If you are having any problems with my plugins (if you are having problems and you don't do the following steps expect no help from me):

* please post exactly which version of the plugin you are using (zip file name is enough).

* Always let us know if you see the temperatures in the nv display properties and the forceware version you are using.

* Open the "PlugIn.txt" file from your mbm5Plugin folder. It should look like this (if it doesn't post here...):

PlugInLoaded	: D:Program FilesMotherboard Monitor 5PluginMBM5NVdriver.dll

PlugInType	  : 2

PlugInName	  : NV driver temperature monitoring v7.2a SLI

CPlugInInit	 : Found

CPlugInInit	 : Executed

PlugInStart	 : Found

PlugInStart	 : Executed

PlugInStop	  : Found

PlugInPulse	 : Found

PlugInPause	 : Found

PlugInClose	 : Found

PlugInMenuName  : Found

PlugInOptions   : Found [About]

PlugIn accepted

* If you see " PlugInStart : Not Executed" in the upper listing you didn't start the plugin

* Post if the install verification succeded (read below)

* Post if the GUI verification succeded (read below)

To verify if you installed the plugin correctly do this:

1) Set the names of the sensors 21, 22, 23 & 24 to "Sensor" (case matters, it can be anything that begins with "Sensor" -> mbm defaults "Sensor 21", "Sensor 22",..., are ok too).

2) Restart mbm

If you installed the plugin corectly the sensor names should be set to: "GPU ambient" & "GPU core", "GPU2 ambient" & "GPU2 core" for the temperatures, "GPU core" & "GPU memory" for the clocks.

If they don't it is not the fault of the mbm or the plugin - it is your fault (98% sure about this, 99% sure if your PlugIn.txt looks ok), you didn't configure the mbm correctly, try again and reread the first page of this thread. To find approximately what you did wrong read below...

To verify if you set up the MBM & plugin correctly do this:

1) Open MBM settings, click on the System Info. Click on the sys info button. You should get something like this (somewhere within the info):

--Sensor Chip Readings--

Temperature Readout[21]		: 1000 [I]// GPU memory clock (this is a comment - you won't see this :) )[/I]

Temperature Readout[22]		: 500 // GPU core clock

Temperature Readout[23]		: 0 // GPU 2 core

Temperature Readout[24]		: 0 // Gpu 2 ambient

Temperature Readout[25]		: 44 // GPU 1 core

Temperature Readout[26]		: 36 // Gpu 1 ambient

If any of the temperature readouts is missing the cause might be:

* the temperature sensor is set to none - set the temperature sensor to Custom in the temperature sensor settings.

If any of the temperature readouts is 0 (and the first installation verification procedure succeded) the cause might be:

* the temperature sensor is not set to Custom - set the temperature sensor to Custom in the temperature sensor settings.

* you installed the wrong plugin version (don't expect sli temps with the non-sli version, or the clocks without v7.2).

* the plugin isn't started (all of the readings are 0)

If the readout isn't 0, but you still can't see it on the dashboard or the OSD or 0 is shown:

* you have configured your dashboard/OSD wrong - read some of the helpfull linked posts on the first page of this thread (the most common reason of not seeing the values on the dashboard is the fact that the items can overlapp other items - maximize the dashboard and move some items around)

Problems that are not really problems:

* I can't see my temperatures for my 6600gt and I can't see them in the NV display properties as well - read http://www.ocia.net/articles/tempmonitoring/page1.shtml

* Extra geometry clock isn't reported in MBM for my 7800 GPU - it is hard to define real core clock speed as the 7800 has more then one, some tool show one, others another (read http://www.bit-tech.net/news/2005/07/07/g70_clock_speed/)

Versions:

* 7.22 (MBMNVdriver_v7_22_ALL.rar) - new "unified" version - this is the one you should download and try first, but note it is still new and untested

Note: you must also copy the "nvPlugin.ini" file to you "Plugin" directory!

nvPlugin.ini content:

SensorNumbers entries - determines which value is outputed to which sensor in mbm

useSli - set to 1 if you have a SLI configuration, 0 otherwise (default is off (0))

useSli - set to 1 if you want to show the clocks in mbm, 0 otherwise (default is on (1))

Older versions:

* 7.0 - reads GPU and ambient temps

* 7.0 sli - sli version of 7.0

* 7.2 - reads GPU and ambient temps, core & mem clocks

* 7.2 sli - sli version of 7.2

As always, use at your own risc - any damage to your pc is not my fault..

tried it now and it is not working on my system and i don't know why

see the screenshots , but i noitced that sensor 25 & 26 sometimes report a -52C temp for few sec then it comes back again to 0C

mbm254au.th.jpgmbm267sh.th.jpg

EDIT:

ya i am sure it is started

and i am using the latest forceare and display drivers from ndvidia.com

still the same wiht the -52C thing and no errors

Try the version posted down...

What forceware version are you using?

Everything posted about previous version still aplies...

EDIT:

Set "Should disply board sensor" to custom...

Are you SURE you started the plugin (rightclick on tray -> plugins -> NV ... -> start) - the plugin should have changed your sensor names automaticay...

Also, if the new version gives you some error messages post them here...

And I tought it would be simple...

My original plan for the newest version was to use the dll somebody else wrote... This dll comes with another tool I dont like as much as mbm. But when I asked the author for the permision I got no reply...

So I have to do it myself...

!!

Could a couple of NV users PM me - what I need is a couple of user that are willing to try a couple of different versions (max one per day, I would PM it to you so we do not polute this thread with countless alpha versions that do not work...)

!!

And I tought it would be simple...
:D

hehehe, Amen my brutha. I was just gonna post a quick MBM5 config :)

As I understand it, (but not verified the NV) we have come up with configs that read VGA card info and send them to MBM5 for display. So NV users can read their cards. This MBM5 config works on DFI NF4/NF3 in 32 and 64 bit

Is everyone following the excellent tutorial by tendukom1slip? I followed it but I'm pretty familiar with MBM5. NV users with probs pipe up. Some cards again may read differently. Really helps if you post manufacturer and type of card as well as driver used.

I mean is it easy enough to set up? I'm sure any of the last group of posters will help someone if they have set up problems.

The goal as _xhp_ and others point out is to reduce the footprint and resources used by the program. Kewl goal. _xhp_ you ar doing a fantastic job. But don't worry about asking for testers or cautioning Betas with the loons in this forum :) Go ahead and post em. I can't see how they could possibly harm PC performance.

What's the difference in the NV Beta you posted and an ATI version. Is there a reason we couldn't do the same test with that? Any idea on the sensors to select?

I liked the idea of displaying the clocks in MBM5 as well, no matter what they are labeled. The anal retentives among us can use white out :)

What's the difference in the NV Beta you posted and an ATI version. Is there a reason we couldn't do the same test with that? Any idea on the sensors to select?

If by Ati version you mean MBM5Rivatuner.dll and by the NV Beta you mean this lates alpha then the main difference is you do not need rivatuner...

The way this version retrieves the temperatures should be the same one nvidia display proprties uses (and rivatuner by default, I beleve systool too). It is quite simple really, but has the same problem as my leadtek2 plugin - I just ripped parameters from my system and it works on my system... I do not read any sensors directy - that would require quite a bit more hardware knowledge than I have...

I need to dig a little deeper, do a little trial and error and that should do it...

I liked the idea of displaying the clocks in MBM5 as well, no matter what they are labeled

99% of the time I use osd so that labels are not important to me (as you can use short identifiers in your script which then do not have a label, you can then add the label as a part of a regular text)

For instance: : T31V Mhz

By the way, all beta testing was done with forceware 77.72, but it should not depend on the version...

Just tried both of the NV driver plugins and they both work fine for me. This is with a BFG 6800 gt oc and Forceware 76.41.

At first I thought it wasn't working but I had just copied the plugin and had forgotten to set the sensors to custom and click "Start Plugin". When I did it right, both versions worked fine.

If you can get the core, mem, and fan speeds, with this small footprint, this plugin will rock.

If you can get the core, mem, and fan speeds, with this small footprint, this plugin will rock.

I can probaby do core & mem clocks. Can't do fan speeds becouse my card does not support it so I have nothing to test it with...

Footprint could get even smaller ;)

@SaFrOuT - confirm you have sensors to custom ...