The ULTIMATE MBM 5 Settings/Help Thread

soundx98

A new version is attached. This version also needs Winfox2 installed, BUT you don't have to be running that Wf2k.exe application (I also removed rundll wf2kcpl.dll from my startup) = more than 7MB saved :)

BTW, I am using Winfox V2.0 (5.13.01...)

It still uses sensors 31-32 so you shoud remove or stop version 1...

BTW, nv display properties and this plugin show 100% same temperatures for me...

Winfox has the hardware monitor. Right click tray icon and select Advanced tools...

Forwarding temps from ntune could also be done. It would be universal solution for all nv users, but I don't know how many users are comfortable using ntune - those reports of it killing hardware are a problem for me :confused:

If there are enough requests I could do it - maybe we should do a pool...

This version also solves the 5s minimum sample rate, now it uses whatever rate you set in mbm5...

Use at your own risc. Is something happens it is not my fault...

Temperatures are set when the plugin is started so there should not be that 0C delay at startup...

And now the BAD things:

Previous release of the plugin used simple message grabbing and was 100% save - it only grabbed the messages posted by wf2k.exe. Now, this version does what wf2k.exe was doing - it calls WINFOXUT.dll directly. I just ripped the parameters from my system - I don't know if these parameters are dependant of your GPU, bios, revision, whatever -> so this may not work for anybody but me :P

YOU SHOULD TREAT THIS VERSION AS A ALPHA RELEASE - USE AT YOUR OWN RISC!! I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR WHATEVER COULD HAPPEN TO YOUR HARDWARE... If you are brave enough go for it. I hope I didn't scare you too much :cool:

Source is included. If you don't understand what is happening that is ok - I don't understand it either :nod: :P ...

As always there will be a new, better solution soon ;)

note: mbm5leadtek.zip = source

mbm5leadtek2.zip = plugin dll (debug build)

to do: move LoadLibrary so it executes only once, move inlined functions from WierdDataStructure, release build...

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK, I read a little about it and I agree.

Fowarding temps from nvmonitor.exe to mbm is not a problem...

But I don't like this solution:

1) you can't minimize nvmonitor to the tray icon like mbm or winfox - that sucks and kind of takes away the meaninig of fowardnig temps to mbm...

2) ntune takes even more memory than winfox - more than 8.4MB (and newest plugin cmbination for leadtek cards takes less then ~2MB)...

3) ntune does not show all of my temps - there is no GPU ambient, only GPU core

4) doing it the easy way would work with the current version of nvmonitor, but not with any other (even newer)...

If you want it let me know...

One could mess around with those dlls that ntune uses (but not me). But those dlls are also used for controling the hardware and I won't mess with them (winfox is hardware monitoring program, ntune is hardware controling/destroying program)...

Winfox solution is perfect for me :P

De-lurking to let you know the first LeadTek plugin is working fine with my BFG 6800gt. I did a quick try with the second one but MBM kept closing up, at random, without showing GPU temps.

Thanks for the work you're doing. Now, I can finally display my GPU temps on my Matrix Orbital LCD. :)

Another option for an NV plugin might be Rivatuner. The install has a plugin folder with the info and sample code for a plugin. Rivatuner should work for most of the NV cards and its hardware monitor has core clock, memory clock, core volts, core temp, ambient temp, fan volt, and framerate monitoring.

Excellent info RY62!

Lovin my Matrix Orbital as well :) Can you see if you can come up with anything with RivaTuner as so many are all ready familiar with it? Nice De-Lurking by the way :D

Sorry man, I use WinRAR instead of WinZip.

You can download from here

www.rarsoft.com

go to downloads and the new WinRAR 3.50 Beta 7 is available.

follow protagonist's directions in 1st post and you will be good to go.

SMART will need to be ENABLED in bios to read your HDD temps.

Remember that you will need ATITool to monitor ATI VGA Card temps and see post #313 for _xhp_'s thoughts on monitoring NV card temps.

Can you see if you can come up with anything with RivaTuner as so many are all ready familiar with it?

I just checked out rivatuner. Impressed... :)

It exposes all of it hardware monitoring data through some shared memory - just like mbm5 - so that everybody can use it :nod:

There is even a sample that comes with rivatuner:

"SamplesSharedMemoryRTHMSharedMemorySample -> The sample application demonstrating access to RivaTuner hardware monitoring module's shared memory."

Modifying this to a mbm5 plugin is a 10 minute job...

And now the bad things:

1) you need to have that big monitoring window open for this to work - you can not minimize it to a tray icon :(

2) rivatuner = >7.5MB :(

And now the good:

It seems that rivatuner comes with some plugins that show how to read the senosors directly:

"SamplesPluginsMonitoringW83L785R The sample monitoring plugin demonstrating temperature data sources implementation for Winbond W83L785R capable display adapters (e.g. Gigabyte 6800 series)."

"SamplesPluginsMonitoringMAX6648 The sample monitoring plugin demonstrating temperature data sources implementation for MAXIM MAX6648 capable display adapters (e.g. MSI NX6800 series)."

I didn't look into them but is should be relativly easy to modify them to work with the mbm (I hope). I'll check it out and report here...

EDIT:

And again some bad things:

Quote from the cpu plugin:

"Unlike the rest samples using RivaTuner's exported functions to access sensors residing on display adapter's I2C bus" does not sound that good - it seems the gpu plugins need rivatuner to work...

I removed all of the plugins and I still get teperature readings -> those plugins are probably just fore some specific cards/sensing chips :(

EDIT2:

Ok, rivatuner seams to read the temperatures from driver for max compatibility. Those pulgins are optional and can be used to get better and more precise readouts -> 0.125C instead of 1C provided by drivers... Works with my leadtek :)