Sign in to follow this  
Alice_In_Chains

NF3 250GB Cold Boot Problem

Thank you very much!!!! That clears up alot. Only one question though I thought cmos loss was caused by a weak battery? What else can cause it? If I have any probs I will let you know.

if a little bit of data corrupts, it can throw off the entire cmos

weak battery can be a cause sometimes...but usually it isnt what causes the initial corruption.

overclocking is always a bit risky...but if you mind your P's and Q's it shouldnt affect it. The NF3 is definitely not prone to corruption like the NF2 was...ive seen about 4 or 5 total corrupt bios cases on teh NF3...and about 250+ on the NF2 lol.

along this same theme, this is one of the reasons why it's reccomended to flash with system at defaults. it's also why some people double or even triple flash to make sure it 'takes'. not sure if it makes any difference but i always double flash.

Two cents worth....

What corrupts CMOS? Maybe the same thing that sends out a blue ark from your fingertip to the doorknob?

Just a thought...

I want to thank all the members for all there help here. Well I received my board and so far no cold boot problems. I will see over a period of time what happens but everything is working alot better now. Hopefully I will not have anymore problems. Thanks Angry_Games!!!!!. DFI was very helpful. I really appreciate the fact that they are very responsive with the customers

I have this problem too unfortunatly.

Either one of several things happens:

1. On cold boot the "Detecting IDE hard drives" will take ages, but will finally go through. System will boot first time

2. It will take ages like usual, but go straight to the Nvidea IDE Raid managment and then restart the computer.

3. I will get system disk error, please check disk and try again .. or something to that lines.

This is all at stock also. It isnt as bad since ive gone to the 10/15 bios but does occasionaly happen and also put my IDEs onto ide controller number 2. So which of those made it happen less frequent.. I do not know.

I will switch back to IDE1 tomorrow when I fit my new VGA cooler :)

Well after 2 days of no problems I cut the pc on this morning and the boot up problem is back. I am going to monitor it and see if it persists. I just can't believe my luck. Oh and by the way I have not changed any settings since I got the board back. I was going to use it for a couple of weeks to make sure no there where no problems, and then if something occured I would know it was my doing. This is very frustrating.

I cut the pc on this morning and the boot up problem is back.

Let's take a look at the situation. I might have missed some points so take it easy on me.

You got a the same board you sent in for repair back. You installed the hardware, qualified your RAM with memtest and did a clean install of the OS. Everything was running fine at defaults then the identical problem popped back up this morning.

Did I miss something or is this correct?

Try this, it worked for me.

After some weeks of cold boots problems, I have discovered that if I press the power on button within 3/4 seconds from the power switch on, it boots without any problem, while if I press it later that that period of time it does not boot.

Cheers

Max!