Sign in to follow this  
jhbodle

Crucial Ballistix 2x1GB PC4000 kit gone bad (merged)

haha no .. Juts got my RMA back from newegg today. I got a 2x1gb kit! Kit No: BL2KIT12864Z503

Batch number on the sticks are CL1115Y.PB

Cool gonna send mine in once i get my New OCZ's in.

Just wanted to add that my new sticks have etched in the pcb "0411 A."

Can anyone confirm they have the same markings on an older set? It might possibly be a pcb revision number.

Its etched in the end so you dont even have to take the heatspreaders off to see it.

There are also positive signs on the gold contacts that show these modules have been inserted into a dimm slot atleast once for testing. Always reassuring.

Just wanted to add that my new sticks have etched in the pcb "0411 A."

Can anyone confirm they have the same markings on an older set? It might possibly be a pcb revision number.

Its etched in the end so you dont even have to take the heatspreaders off to see it.

There are also positive signs on the gold contacts that show these modules have been inserted into a dimm slot atleast once for testing. Always reassuring.

i'd be very surprised if they dont go kaput after sometime since crucial aint producing the ballistix anymore.

Been following this post since i've got my Ballistix and been wanting

to post a comment how good my set was but didn't.

I installed these on 07-02-06 and been running @285 3-3-3-8 2.6V for about a month. After that i reduced to 250 and been running that speed until 22-02-06.

Then they died :angel: . It started with soundstuttering random reboots and BSOD's after running memtest there wher no problems at first, the next day however they errored at 200 Mhz in test 4 and 7 could.nt even boot higher than 200.

So it's RMA time now i ordered through Crucial UK.

PCB marking 0411 A

BL12864Z503.16TD

CL11161.23

:sad:

Well go figure.... my 4th set has finally crapped out. When I first got this set at the end of December I was able to hit 3,3,3,8 1t at 270. But I decided I would back it off and run a divider, so since then I was running at 2.6v and at 225fsb. This worked for a while then I had to bump up the voltage to 2.7, and then a couple weeks later to 2.8. Seemed to do OK for about a week, then I crashed hard in Windows and it wouldn't even boot into Windows. I decided it was time to run them at their rated speed of 3,4,4,8 at 250fsb and what do you know they failed memtest. So needless to say this will be another 8 dollars or so in shipping I have wasted on this crappy memory. And you can bet Newegg is going to refund my money ar get me a different brand. I called them when I noticed they no longer sold the Ballistix and was told I could exchange them or get a refund, so we'll see.

I sent mine back to Newegg, they tried to give me only $240 refund claiming that was the current market value. I showed them what tankguys was charging ($160 a stick) and they are giving me the full $310 I paid for them now :) Have some Team UCCC on the way

Guest Crimson

After 24 days Crucial has finally informed me that they have shipped replacements for my 2gb kit.

Mine just died... I purchased directly from Crucial at the beginning of November and no problems getting a refund. Crucial made it super easy, no complaints here. I'd buy from them again. Crucial has their hands full with the 2GB ballistix sets, cut them some slack with the RMA's. Don't get a replacment set if you plan to overclock it. There is no sense in bleeding a company dry so you can OC for a couple months. It will only make it harder on Crucial to rebound with a better module. You want a better product not the same product...

Guest Crimson

Mine were underclocked and failed.. so I don't think overclocking has much to do with it.

Mine were underclocked and failed.. so I don't think overclocking has much to do with it.

Same here, i'am still waiting for a reply about my RMA before i send them back cause i dont want them at all and newegg tried to give me the 30day refund crap.

but i'am trying too dispute it just blows my mind the difference in actions by newegg on these memory modules either it's a refund or replacements depends on how long it took for you to realize you got sold junk..... :rolleyes:

Same here... 4 sticks in all dead. I'm going to re-post this here because the people at xtrememsystems didn't really seem to care... (too busy building machines for one-time clock records and not really using them I guess)

"I'm totally fed up with my Ballistix. My first pair was post-tracer, pre Z503s, which performed mediocre in contrast to stuff I'd seen. One stick was good up to 275, and the other up to 265. After running both sticks at 263 (2.75v), the weaker of the two steadily declined in it's max speed. When that speed dropped below 250, I called Micron and they sent me a Z503 as a replacement. When I recieved the z503 stick, I did another round of testing. At that point the original 275 stick maxed out at 262, and the z503 at 271. After running the pair at 260 for about a month, I started having major stability issues. I wasn't suprised to find out that the other original stick was now unstalble all the way down to 215. Again, I called Micron, and again, they sent me a z503 as a replacement. All was well... or so I thought. *EVIL LAUGH*

I was having some stability issues with my old winnie 3200+ (at least that's what I blamed) so I picked up a new Opteron 165 and a new OCZ 520w PS. Ignoring all I know about overclocking, I proceeded to stabillty test my new proc with the memory in a 180 setting (275 effective @ 300mhz fsb). No suprise that it wasn't at all stable. I swore at my new processor up and down, the whole time in denial that the memory could be AGAIN at fault. Reluctantly, I began to test the z503s.

Errors all the way down to 200mhz. These chips are just pathetic. Seems when Micron decided to release these to the market they tested 'em out for six days or so. To address standard overclocker questions, here are issues that I addressed:

-Case temp never exceeds 26 degrees celcius (yah, it's loud as hell)

-there are two 80mm 2800rpm fans blowing DIRECTLY on the modules

-Not the memory controller. I've had 3 different procs (all different core revs) in this board with very close to the same results with each.

-I tried every possible bios setting known to man. Save voltage variations, (see notes below) the max difference in overclockability I got out of the chips was about 5Mhz (with main timings at 3-3-3-8 or 3-4-4-8 of course)

A note on voltage: I never ran above 2.75 (real) for any extended period of time. When testing, however, I tested up to 2.9v. When the modules were new, they scaled up with voltage slightly. (approx +15Mhz from 2.6 to 2.9) The interesting thing is that when the modules start to die, raising the voltage above 2.8v lowered the overclockability of the modules.

I'm now back on my trusty mushkin and corsair 512MB BH-5 sticks humming along happily at 231Mhz 2-3-2-5 @ 3.15v, like I previously had been for months before this Crucial circus. I'll be calling Micron on Monday to discuss this whole deal. I'm convinced that it's the sole fault of the sticks, given that I've had several other branded pairs of sticks in this board for an extended period of time, several procs, and I treat my modules (save the BH-5) very well voltage and cooling wise. I sure hope Micron has something up their sleeve that doesn't suck. I've heard rumors that they're not making these chips anymore. Anyone know anything about possible replacements?"

I'll answer my own question that I posed at the end there: Apparently, there is a "New Revision" of this module. I called Crucial yesterday and they're going to replace my BL12864Z503.16TD with BL12864Z503.16TD1 sticks. The model number is the little white sticker in the lower left hand side of the "front" of the stick. (Sorry I don't have a pic) The Crucial rep on the phone claims that they have fixed the problem with this new revision, but he didn't sound exactly sure what problem that was. :rolleyes: I think he may have been trying to pacify me since I was awfully pissed that I've had 4 of 4 modules die. I guess we'll find out in... oh, a month or two, when these modules are scheduled to die again. :D