Sign in to follow this  
jhbodle

Crucial Ballistix 2x1GB PC4000 kit gone bad (merged)

I will be doing the same put mine up for sale when I get then back from RMA and keeping the G.Skill.

I'm building another system and I don’t fancy put the crucial in especially if they are getting discontinued and only lasting for 3-4 months from new.

I just ordered up the PC4000 2x1GB G SKILL F1-4000USU2-2GBHZ

Have you all had good luck w/ the skills you have purchased ?

I just ordered up the PC4000 2x1GB G SKILL F1-4000USU2-2GBHZ

Have you all had good luck w/ the skills you have purchased ?

I’m quite impressed with g.skill they cost £100 pound lees then the crucial when I brought them and I’m getting same results more or less but can not hit 3ghz stable with the g.skill as I did on my crucial but I happy with 2.9ghz

Setting that work buy unstable

290x10

270x11

250x12

Setting that work and are stable

285x10

265x11

245x12

Standard times and standard voltage not bad

Pic of Cpu-z

http://img203.imageshack.us/my.php?image=gskillmemory6ae.jpg

Just an update:

Mine are over 1 month, still running strong and just checked if they hit 295 without errors and they do. Just got my Opty 175 0550UPMW and put my 3500 into retirement :)

Wow, I forgot about this thread.

I have a 2Gb set of Balistix tracers. Everything was fine for quite awhile, then like a bunch of others here, started getting random reboots, BSOD, and lockups. I thougt it was everything else but the memory.

Then one night, 'puter wouldn't post. I just sat there for 30 minutes or so, just kinda... spacing out. Then I thought, what the hell, let me throw my Corsair stick in here and see what happens. Ding ding ding... worked perfectly. D'oh thought I wasn't going to have a problem since I had the tracers, and the threads I read folks had just the regular Ballistix.

So, now what? Anyone know how long I can RMA to newegg? or, do I need to contact Crucial myself?

Gonna do a quick search of this thread after I post, and also check Newegg's policy, but if someone knows which is better (newegg or crucial for RMA) could you let me know.

I think I just might go with the OCZ PC4000 2 Gb set. Many people here seem to love OCZ.

Time to make a trip back over to the Memory advice thread.... heh

Thanks,

Breezyjr

My set died yesterday - literally overnight. Been stable since october at 280mhz 2.8V. (no errors in memtest, OCCT, Prime95, or HCL design memtest).

Yesterday memtest86+ produced errors at every mem cell at any setting, even as low as 200mhz.

Both sticks were cooled by 2x 120mm fans drawing air from outside the box.

i been running prime for 12hrs plus now and no probs

but i get memtest error in test 3

my sandra 2005 bandwidth is 5800 approx :mad: i was hopin for 6000

is my problem a timings thing

its goin strong with 95 so far i'm gonna go for 24hrs at least so it can make the stock database

Alas, my set seems to have gone bad as well. I mentioned earlier in the thread that I was able to bsod my machine within seconds running BibblePro image editing program. I thought that I had corrected the problem by relaxing the memory timings a bit, so today just for fun I thought that I would try make sure the machine was still solid. About 4 seconds after I started opening jpgs in BibblePro, it blue screened.

The machine runs for hours on OCCT torture test, but not the image edit for some reason. I will rma back to newegg and see what they come up with for a replacement.

After reading about 100 posts I haven't yet seen a resolution to the problem. I'm on my third set of sticks after two RMAs and before I put them in my machine I'm looking for suggestions on how to avoid the sticks going bad on me. Although my X2 3800+ will do 2.8GHz, I'm keeping things simple and running 250 1:1 with 2.8V on the memory and auto settings on the timings (the DFI auto-sets the timings to 3-3-3-8-T1). My specs are below, but before I insert the sticks, I'm looking for suggestions on:

-Version of BIOS to use

-Orange vs Yellow slots

-Memory timings (auto vs defined)

-Memory voltage

Also, the sticks Crucial sent me are:

Batch: CL111QG7X

PN: 63240

BL12864Z503.16TD1

Any suggestions offered are greatly appreciated.

Question for all of you with bad sticks(I've read through some of the posts but there are soooo many):

Were you passively cooling (explain with what)?

What voltages were you using

Anyone try using ramsinks on these chips?

yes, I had an 80mm fan sitting on top of mine, but they were running default speeds with default voltage. Although passive cooling is alway preferred, it shouldn't be necessary for stock speed and voltage. Didn't try ramsinks as it already comes with a heatsink.

Question for all of you with bad sticks(I've read through some of the posts but there are soooo many):

Were you passively cooling (explain with what)?

What voltages were you using

Anyone try using ramsinks on these chips?

2x80mm since day one. 2.8v at 280mhz 3-3-3-8

Dead after 2 months

2 sets died exactly the same way.

did you try with only one stick?

for RMA, goto Newegg if you still can. Crucial won't replace Tracers anymore. They'll downgrade you to Z503, regular ballistix. DDR500 1GB tracers have been discontinued. I didn't find out until they shipped it back to me last week. it's the last time i'll deal with them.

Wow, I forgot about this thread.

I have a 2Gb set of Balistix tracers. Everything was fine for quite awhile, then like a bunch of others here, started getting random reboots, BSOD, and lockups. I thougt it was everything else but the memory.

Then one night, 'puter wouldn't post. I just sat there for 30 minutes or so, just kinda... spacing out. Then I thought, what the hell, let me throw my Corsair stick in here and see what happens. Ding ding ding... worked perfectly. D'oh thought I wasn't going to have a problem since I had the tracers, and the threads I read folks had just the regular Ballistix.