Sign in to follow this  
jhbodle

Crucial Ballistix 2x1GB PC4000 kit gone bad (merged)

I am also worry but my case has been different. First i got the ram, i can do 250mhz 3-4-4-8 at 2.6v and passed memtest for 7hrs. But it failed during gaming or 3d benching with a weird sound came out from my speaker.

I cant oc the rams at all and all i do is running with divider to keep the ram at no more than 210mhz.

But 2 weeks ago i felt so itchy and i would like to try oc this ram for a last time before sending it to RMA. But it oc superbly, and now i'm running at 265mhz 3-4-4-8 .. hmm..

No way, i got a crackling sound when ever im putting it under heavy load, I.E, Playing BF2, COnverting video/audio etc. Never thought it but that could be down to memory!!! And sometimes BF2 jumps even though its on 70+ FPS

I am also worry but my case has been different. First i got the ram, i can do 250mhz 3-4-4-8 at 2.6v and passed memtest for 7hrs. But it failed during gaming or 3d benching with a weird sound came out from my speaker.

I cant oc the rams at all and all i do is running with divider to keep the ram at no more than 210mhz.

But 2 weeks ago i felt so itchy and i would like to try oc this ram for a last time before sending it to RMA. But it oc superbly, and now i'm running at 265mhz 3-4-4-8 .. hmm..

No way, i got a crackling sound when ever im putting it under heavy load, I.E, Playing BF2, COnverting video/audio etc. Never thought it but that could be down to memory!!! And sometimes BF2 jumps even though its on 70+ FPS. But i cant be certain its the memory

This is bullsh!t. I bought a 1 gig stick of Mushkin PC3200 3-3-3-8 stuff for around $70. It was going in a s754 board so I wasn't worried about dual channel. I got the ram and the rest of the parts (sempron 2800+) and put it all together. It was only recognising 256mb of 1gb. I tried everything. Even updated the bios.

So I tried the stick in my s939 rig (Opty 150/DFI NF4 atm) and it posted showing 1gb. It was so unstable it wouldnt even boot windows.

So I looked at the sticks and low and behold its Micron -5b ICs. Go figure, ah? crapin .. Now I have to tell my customer it will be another week before this rig is done because of this. Micron really needs to get their act together. That was a brand new stick!

Take long slow breaths and think of water flowing down a quiet stream, with a slight breeze, and the sound of little birds chirping at a distance.

I'm just curious, for the people that have their ballistix degrade over time (requiring more voltage to remain stable); do you's leave your PC on 24/7?

Mines always on 24/7 - was just curious if there is a connection to that and the time it takes for them to degrade.

I'm just curious, for the people that have their ballistix degrade over time (requiring more voltage to remain stable); do you's leave your PC on 24/7?

Mines always on 24/7 - was just curious if there is a connection to that and the time it takes for them to degrade.

sometimes mines on 24/7 others only about 12

gone through 2 sets of the ballistix 4000

I got all the way to the part about the birds and all I heard was squawking; so I opened my eyes and it was buzzards. Hehehehehe. Good one 'Slammin'.

RGone...

Take long slow breaths and think of water flowing down a quiet stream, with a slight breeze, and the sound of little birds chirping at a distance.

To my knowledge all RAM vendors freely admit that the "heatspreaders" are show only. People just don't buy expensive RAM without them and they actually reduce cooling. There is some discussion whether they improve cooling when there is high airflow, but is certain they don't when there is none or only side effect airflow.

OCZ are the first one to do something about it with their new honeycomb design.

Here is a cheap fan heatsink that works on all 184 pin memory the fan is SILENT and it covers all the dimm slots. Probably have already seen iy but what the hell. http:/www.directron.com/a1165,html

Guest Crimson

I guess I am just another in the long list of victims. One of my two 1 gig sticks does not boot unless I unplug my machine for a couple mins then power it on. I ordered through Newegg, what are they RMA'ing these for/with for those that have gone this route?

I received info from Crucial stating that one of their final shipments was scheduled to come in today. If you RMA, you'll get this new batch.