Sign in to follow this  
jhbodle

Crucial Ballistix 2x1GB PC4000 kit gone bad (merged)

I only wonder how many RMA'd sticks were actually defective. Situations like this tend to snowball and can really leave the mfg in a not so good situation once things really get rolling. Not saying there weren't a lot of defective sticks because I definitely had a bad kit, or at least one bad stick.

I really hope this set hold up now!

Well, i updated my bios from n4d623-2 to 704-2bta and got bluesceens, and eventually stopped going past bios!!!

THen i reset the bios, eventually got in windows and changed it back to n4d623-3!

Works fine again, infact, better than the -2 bios!!! Maybe worth noting!!! I really thought they'd gone again!

I ran HCI memtest for 8 hrs or so - two instances with no problems. I thought that my Ballistix memory was sound. Then I installed a 14 day trial of Bibble Pro, and image editing program. With that program I can bsod the machine in less than a minute. ( simply use the "browse" function and go to directory of jpgs and then double click on individual jpgs - puts them in the "work queue" - it bsod's with less than 20 such jpgs ).

I haven't run prime recently for any length of time. It ran in the past overnight without problem.

Has anyone else tried this program by chance?

After about 3-4 hours using firefox, i've noticed a distinct slow down. Pages take ages load etc. I have 8MB broadband so thats not it. Very strange. And BF2 crashed on me today, But it was when i changed the setting with nHance to 16xAA and 16xAS. Lowered both them to 8x and it's ran like a dream since then so it may just be that. Little things ive noticed here and there but im currently messing with alot of things as i like to medle so it may be just down to me lol.

I changed my settings to 3 4 4 8 from 3 3 3 8 and the bsod from running Bibble pro disappeared. Switched it back and the bsods occurred immediately. I guess my memory won't run that tight at 3 3 3 8 @250. It is handy to get speedy feedback from bibble pro I guess.

My settings are currently:

Genie BIOS Settings:

FSB Bus Frequency - 250

LDT/FSB Frequency Ratio - 4.0

CPU/FSB Frequency Ratio - 10.0

PCI eXpress Frequency - 100Mhz

CPU VID StartUp Value - 1.500v

CPU VID Control - 1.425v

CPU VID Special Control - Above VID * 110%

LDT Voltage Control - 1.40v

Chip Set Voltage Control - 1.7v

DRAM Voltage Control - 2.70v

DRAM Configuration Settings:

DRAM Frequency Set - 200=RAM/FSB:10/10

Command Per Clock (CPC) - Auto

CAS Latency Control (Tcl) - 3

RAS# to CAS# delay (Trcd) - 4 Bus Clocks

Min RAS# active time (Tras) - 8 Bus Clocks

Row precharge time (Trp) - 4 Bus Clocks

Row Cycle time (Trc) - 14 Bus Clocks

Row refresh cyc time (Trfc) - 16 Bus Clocks

Row to Row delay (Trrd) - 03 Bus Clocks

Write recovery time (Twr) - 03 Bus Clocks

Write to Read delay (Twtr) - 02 Bus Clocks

Read to Write delay (Trwt) - 03 Bus Clocks

Refresh Period (Tref) - 2592

Write CAS Latency (Twcl) - Auto

DRAM Bank Interleave - Enabled

DQS Skew Control - Auto

DQS Skew Value - 0

DRAM Drive Strength - Auto

DRAM Data Drive Strength - Auto

Max Async Latency - Auto

DRAM Response Time - Normal

Read Preamble Time - Auto

IdleCycle Limit - 016 Cycles

Dynamic Counter - Enable

R/W Queue Bypass - 16 x

Bypass Max - 07 x

32 Byte Granularity - Disable(4 Bursts)

Not paranoid lol. Wrong word. Just weiry of little 'glitches' cause of such a huge amount of failures. I use trillian, that connects me to msn, yahoo, aol and icq at once without the BS of MSN. but im very rarely on it, i have no use for it as i know enough people already and i see them alot and when i want to talk to them i can call them when i want lol. my msn is i_wheeldon --at-- hotmail --dot-- com but its very rare im on there.

I got mine @ 285/3/4/4/8 and im happy with that untill i get my opty 175 next week and ill see if that makes any difference. I had 1GB G-Skill PC4400 before and i noticed that i struggled to get more than 280/285 out of them when others were getting 300, even upto 330. I think the memory controller on my winnie is holding me back alot

I had one yesterday as i said, Simalar batch as well!!!

i see your running weird timings???

232mhz 11/2/2/3

11 seems very loose and 2/2/3 is way tight.

Just put them on 250/3.0/4/8/4 in that order in the bios. THey should breeze that on 2.7V and be rock solid. as i say, mine are on 285/3.0/4/8/4 and seem very solid so far (5 days)

True Bud but they was running fine on that for a week, 6hrs of gaming a day

and no, 250 will NOT work ive tried these timings and lose timings no go!

285 is an instant freeze up before windows.

They was on 11 2 2 2.5 Btw :)