Crucial Ballistix 2x1GB PC4000 kit gone bad (merged)

Just an update on my 2x1 GB Ballistix set :P.

Still have them running at 265 MHz, although I finally got the timings down to 3-3-3-8 (from 3-4-4-8) with a voltage bump from 2.6 to 2.66 volts. They still seem to run decently cool, at least compared to 2.8 volt operation. I tried doing a quick overclock past 265 and I couldn't get it stable at 275 or beyond, although I haven't tried 270 or messing with lots of settings. I'm content with 265 for now :).

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had to RMA a single stick of mine as well. Got a new one back within a few days. Fantastic service from Crucial. With the new one I was able to get 3 3 3 8 @ 1T right upto 285mhz. Might be able to do more, havent really tweaked enough yet. Just hope the sticks dont go bad. This is all at 2.8 v. Seems to be the sweet spot for mine.

EDIT: Thats at 1:1 as well

Not to mention the 1gig sticks are NOT on Crucial site for sale anymore but they have a note that 'any memory' not picked for use that does not appear as 'recommended' by their ram guide will be subject to a restocking penalty (or words to that effect) so you might ease over there and read closely what is said to work on which board now.

RGone...

UPDATE:

1115Z.1R's are performing AMAZING!!!

Went from 250/3/4/4/8 @ 2.7V up in 10's running it on memtest at every interval. I've now reached 300/3/4/4/8 @ 2.7V and done 2 passes of memtest at 300 to make sure there sweet. And they are!!! Running very chilled as well

2GB kit running @ 300/3/4/4/8 on 2.7V!!!! Thats gotta be close to a record!!! And i reccon theres still more, but my winnie maxies out at 2.45 and i dont want use a divider, but i will see how far this memory goes later today by underclocking the CPU

But there only 1 week old, So im not getting to excited yet!!!!

P.S, Neil, yours should be very close to been able do this with your batch 1115Z.1Q

I think my lastest set are going bad already, and they never been over 270mhz and 2.7V. i have been having lots of BSOD's recently, and that is usually the first sign. My browser crashes alot as of late, and my VNC connections from my work PC to home PC keep crapping out and locking me out - PC semi locks up. i don't even feel like playing with them anymore, or trying to narrow it down. If it gets anyworse, i'll just pop back in my mushkins and rma this set too and let them deal with it - and hope i get a refund or i'm allowed to switch to a reliable brand.

They've disapeared from the UK site.My replacement pair of Ballistix3200 seem to be holding up.I must agree with a few other posters in that even if Crucial have issued what appears to be duff 1Gb Ballistix sticks there rma service is excellent,with both the duff pairs of 3200 i had replaced no questions asked.I am going to record the serial numbers on mine and my mums in case it comes in handy.

Smiffy

2GB kit running @ 300/3/4/4/8 on 2.7V!!!! Thats gotta be close to a record!!! And i reccon theres still more, but my winnie maxies out at 2.45 and i dont want use a divider, but i will see how far this memory goes later today by underclocking the CPU

Well, with the Expert I had 320 1:1 3-3-3-8 1T 2.7v. Ran everything like SuperPi and Prime, only fell on memtest #8. Which is why I'm so miffed the Expert stopped working. And this is a Ballistix batch from November sometime (hot ones with a fan pointing at 'em).

Damn it, too good be true lol. 300 passed mem test but failed on Prime95 in stress and crashed out of 3dMark 05. Even with 2.8 it still fails.

Lowered it to 290 and it beast's its way through things. 8475 in 3dmark 05 which aint shabby

So, its [email protected] CPU (2.32Ghz - Well below the 2.45 top end) and 290/3/4/4/8 @ 2.7V (DDR580)

Im not even going bother with the other timings as theres no need!