Crucial Ballistix 2x1GB PC4000 kit gone bad (merged)

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hi guys.

posted mine on wednesday and recived a new pair today, saturday. the 1116's do exist in the 1GBx2 sticks cos i have some. codes are CL11162.95 56278 and are the Z503.16TB.

Unfortunatly i cant test the crap out of these as my pc is in bits awaiting case modifications due to poor PSU accomidation. i.e. i need to drill holes in the case for routing of cables :).

I'll let you all know how these do soon hopfully.

EDIT: 647th post... awch!

just thought I would add my two cents for now

I'm still using the original 4x1024MB sticks that Crucial gave me and they have been through some serious bashing and beating and abusing so far in my testing but they are still ok

I've got a pair right now doing 275x10 with an Opteron 146 in my NF4 Expert rig (main rig now!)

Mines are the CL1115T, got them 3 months ago to go with my Opty 165 and they're runnin' 283, setting are Thunda's, copied it from his sig and been good so far. I very nearly got another pair when I got cash to spare last week when I saw them from an ebay store. You guys think I should?

It's been four months since I've originally assembled my PC in August and what a nightmare those four months have been.. For the first two weeks the system was relatively stable, no BSODs, no shutdowns, everything you expect to get after shelling out $300+ for high performance memory.. After the first two weeks one of the sticks turned up bad during a memtest check, so it got returned for an rma to Newegg.. The second stick ran ok for another two weeks, but then the BSOD's returned.. After tolerating random black screen power cycling for another two months (no memtest errors found), and replacing a PSU to potentially eliminate the possibility of a bad power supply, I called up crucial to RMA both sticks.. The replacement set was received a week ago, one stick already had errors straight out of the box, the other passed memtest just fine.. Crucial would only RMA one stick of a matched pair. The other stick, which was error free, has been running stable at 3-3-3-8 250mhz 2.8v. Throughout this experience I've never taken the memory above 250mhz, BSOD's would occur even at 200mhz, settings were usually on auto, and the X2 was never stable even at its rated speed of 2200mhz.

Incidentally, I haven't had a single BSOD, or black screen reboot since the replacement memory arrived last week. Another odd observation is that system/cpu temp reading appear to have dropped 5-7 degrees celcius.. No other changes were made other than replacing the memory... Frankly, I'm baffled, but starting to believe that this belief of memory degradation from bad batches of Ballistix that overheat is probably true..

Ballistix RMA replacement 11/30

CL1115W.VX

BL12864Z503.16TD

It's been approximately 7 weeks since the RMA'd memory was installed and running at 2.6v @ 250mhz.. In the past week the reboots have returned; the system has locked up 3 times, just freezing up.. In the past 2 hours, 2 black screen reboots and 1 lockup.. Just upped the voltage to 2.7v but it looks like the stability of this memory is degrading just like previous sets..