Sign in to follow this  
jhbodle

Crucial Ballistix 2x1GB PC4000 kit gone bad (merged)

Guest badboy
Lol. I got a cheap laugh out of that . :shake:

On topic though. I got my second set of sticks. Dont have the batch number handy, but two weeks at [email protected] seems to be working for now.

Are they running with a CR of 1T or 2T? I been running mine at 260mhz+ 1:1 3,3,3,8 1T for nearly 3 months now and have no problem at all. Look at the attachment I added and you will see that I am running at 260mhz 1:1 at 2.8v.

Yes, mine are [email protected] 1T. Good to hear at least some people are having no problems. I will post the batch number when I get home from work.

I think that the main problem with the Ballistix is that it dies/degrades within 1-3 months of 24/7 use, meaning the ballistix set will work PERFECTLY like a normal memory would... but dying unexpectately. Testing the memory using prime95/memtest/etc. will not rule out the possibly of these ballistix dieing in a few months, which seems to be the MAIN problem!

So I don't think we can say that the problem is fixed yet (based on a few days/weeks of use) until a lot of people with RMA'd sticks are still good after 3 or more months of use.

I'm sure that a lot of people that thought they had a "Good" ballistix (passed memtest,prime,game,3dmark,etc.) until it sudddenly crapped out after a few months or less.

I don't think its a bad batch problem based on the HARDOCP forums. All the kits that went bad had very different batch/week numbers. I think micron 5bd chips are just crap. And yes, I'm sure there are exceptions :waits for someone to tell me that their micron5bd has been running fine for 10years:

Thats why I said "...working for now." This is my second pair of sticks, I had the same problems as everyone else with my first set dying in a matter of weeks. I had also posted in this exact thread regarding my problem. If you go a couple of pages back you will see my posts.

The Ballistix PC3200 1GB (2x512) kit was also a pain in the butt, I went through 4 sets until I found one that was memtest stable.

Thats why I said "...working for now." This is my second pair of sticks, I had the same problems as everyone else with my first set dying in a matter of weeks. I had also posted in this exact thread regarding my problem. If you go a couple of pages back you will see my posts.

I'm sorry but my post wasn't really targeted/replied at you. I just quoted your post as an example to just make a point that "...working for now" isn't the problem with these ballistix. It's, "working for now but crapping out later", thats really the issue.

People seemed to mistaken the 2 seperate issues as one.

Well I have recieved my 4th pair of the Ballistix and i was going to sell them on E-Bay. However, after reading that Newegg is no longer selling them I decided to give them a call. They verified that they have had a ton of problems with the memory. This prompted me to ask about my memory if it were to fail again since they were no longer selling the memory. I was told that if it failed again and I was still within the 1 year I could RMA it still for one of 2 options.

1) A refund of money due to the repeated problems

2) Exchange it for a simialar product

So I decided i will try the memory one more time, since I have my corsair to fall back on, and if it fails i will just ship it back to Newegg and replace it with either OCZ or Corsair. I think that the time it will take to fail shouldn't be too long with their track record :rolleyes:

If you already decided the memory will fail, it doesn't matter how many people come up here saying it is working perfectly, won't it?

Well if it fails, RMA them, and then throw darts at the Crucial Ballistix installation manual. Or even better yet, get a picture of Cruicials CEO and throw them at him. :P

When (and if) my memory passes the 3 month mark, I will post a Crucial Ballistix poll and we can have people vote how long their ballistix have been operating withing specification, and how many have failed, and the time frame involved.

UPDATE 2006-02-15: There will be no voting poll! My Ballistix have failed. Someone put a curse on my memory OMG :nod: .

Dead sticks: CL1115V.5Z ~ 1 month life time - max stable -> orange slots, 286MHz 3.0-4-4-10 1T, 2.8v

A64 Tweaker timings: N/A (all on auto as in 704-2BTA bios)

New sticks: CL1115Z.1R ~ 15 days uptime - max stable-> yellow slots, 265.5MHz 3.0-3-3-8 1T, 2.7v

A64 Tweaker Timings: 3.0-14-16-3-2-8-3-2-2-2-133MHz 1.95us-1clk-Off-0 16x-128-D-D-7x-9ns-7.0ns-8clk-D-183*-E-N-D

As to why I have my memory now in yellow slots, well, it's a long story. Short version: Removed IHS from CPU, mounted new XP-120 with modified retention bracket (which didnt need my modification in the first place DOH!), Ballistix memory to tall to mount under the XP-120 when there is no IHS present.

These sticks should be able to handle atleast the same amount of MHz as the previous set (in orange slots ofcourse, as noted everywhere on the forum :nod: ). It is behaving the same as the previous set with the same tight timings, but more stabler with lower volts and much much cooler. I don't need to run them at the rated 2.8v for my 265.5MHz, which is good. Less volts=longer life + less heat.

Oh dear - My 2x 512 sticks are failing too it seems. They aren't memtest stable at 240mhz. My sticks were stable for 7 months at 260, 2 months at 250, and now are unstable.

I got them direct from crucial. At least they have a lifetime waranty.