Sign in to follow this  
jhbodle

Crucial Ballistix 2x1GB PC4000 kit gone bad (merged)

LockOn, BF2, Quake4 and FEAR are all stable. Should I RMA?

The only reason this is bothering me so much is because I do not want to lose a RAID, and I know for a fact that defective memory can do that.

Man, this memory is too much work!

Ya everything I had was stable to test it yet the memory tests where failing. Mine was getting worse by the day even if it wasn't powered up, next time I booted a few more errors here and there.

Noooooooo! Now my RAM is messing up. It's beginning to happen when I'm gaming. It'll give me a mem address, but flashes too quickly for me to see fully.

I'm going to run mem test tonight and see what I get. This really pisses me off because I thought I had a good set. Unfortunately, I'm in the same boat as everyone else here.

I have also a pair of Ballistix 1gb PC4000 that does not even boot at 200fsb. How do you guys actually get it to boot when the default bios is not at 2.8V? Does it boot even at 2.6v ?

Wheres the Crucial guy?

Good question Kiajoon, I thought I saw him post at one time here, but I could be wrong. Last I tested my Ballistix I was finally able to stabilize with the bottom half of the bios at Auto, at least 5 1/2 hrs of memtest anyway, and 8 hr plus of prime95. I do not know how long that will last but will see what happens.

It's been four months since I've originally assembled my PC in August and what a nightmare those four months have been.. For the first two weeks the system was relatively stable, no BSODs, no shutdowns, everything you expect to get after shelling out $300+ for high performance memory.. After the first two weeks one of the sticks turned up bad during a memtest check, so it got returned for an rma to Newegg.. The second stick ran ok for another two weeks, but then the BSOD's returned.. After tolerating random black screen power cycling for another two months (no memtest errors found), and replacing a PSU to potentially eliminate the possibility of a bad power supply, I called up crucial to RMA both sticks.. The replacement set was received a week ago, one stick already had errors straight out of the box, the other passed memtest just fine.. Crucial would only RMA one stick of a matched pair. The other stick, which was error free, has been running stable at 3-3-3-8 250mhz 2.8v. Throughout this experience I've never taken the memory above 250mhz, BSOD's would occur even at 200mhz, settings were usually on auto, and the X2 was never stable even at its rated speed of 2200mhz.

Incidentally, I haven't had a single BSOD, or black screen reboot since the replacement memory arrived last week. Another odd observation is that system/cpu temp reading appear to have dropped 5-7 degrees celcius.. No other changes were made other than replacing the memory... Frankly, I'm baffled, but starting to believe that this belief of memory degradation from bad batches of Ballistix that overheat is probably true..

Ballistix RMA replacement 11/30

CL1115W.VX

BL12864Z503.16TD

I'm currently running mem test, going on 12 hrs now with no errors.

But my question is: When I run mem test, does it test both 1GB sticks? Or is it only testing 1 of the sticks?

I would assume since both are in, it will be testing them together. If so, that's good news so far.

But then I'm not sure what the problem would be. With these settings, it's Prime95 stable for 23 hrs. Yet, lately while I'm gaming I will get a blue screen that flashes real quick and restarts the computer. I also get a sysdump.txt (Black Hawk Down).

Maybe I can try reinstalling the game to put it in a different memory location on the drive.

Any suggestions? I'm stumped.

I have also a pair of Ballistix 1gb PC4000 that does not even boot at 200fsb. How do you guys actually get it to boot when the default bios is not at 2.8V? Does it boot even at 2.6v ?

Wheres the Crucial guy?

got your PM, kiajoon.

i read this thread a little and got worried too. i bought the below RAM on 12/2.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16820146578

built the new machine over the 12/2 weekend. my machine too was random crashing. it did 3 times so far. but it's NOT a RAM problem. this week have been testing it all the time. i have **NOT** o/c'ed a single part since i want to thoroughly test everything at default.

have a look at the tests and results. voltages and temps are from m/b bios.

stressprime: small FFTs (CPU), 18h. no errors. 39C (32C idle)

stressprime: large FFTs (RAM), 15h. no errors. chipset is at 47C.

memtest1.55 (m/b UT nF4 ultra-d bios): 3h, 4 passes. no errors.

memtest3.2 (iso): 3h, 4 passes. no errors.

everything is default. no o/cing.

CPU: 1.33v, 32C/39C

RAM: 2.66v, 3-3-3-8 @1T, chipset at 36C/46C

have a look at the cpuz tabs snapshot, if you need more information.

http://people.smu.edu/rmandvik/images/cpuztabs.jpg

i think i have (and still have) a problem with my GFX and sound driver with ONLY DCfinal. the display and sound gets broken / distorted after some hours of play. i had the 81.94 drivers before when the problem started. i upgraded to 81.95 (WHQLed) and the display is okay but the sound is not. i just found this yesterday so would spend more time on it today. i guess, in my case, it's safe to assume, after the test results, that the CPU RAM is okay. also the m/b (though i dont know how i can test it). i plan to test the RAM through memtest and stressprime large FFTs after a month since i read people okay with ballistix initially and then having problems later.

please let me know if you need any more information. hope this helps.

EDIT01:

RAM shipped from: Edison, NJ

batch number part number:

CL1115V.61

BL12864Z503.16TD

Wheres the Crucial guy?

I think it's pretty cool a rep from Crucial regularly posts on this forum. It shows Crucial is confident in their products and backs them up.

But I'm starting to wonder the same thing. It's obvious Crucial memory is taking a beating, not only here but on various other forums. Because of that, Ballistix is definitily getting a bad name across the net. If these problems are unfounded, or if there is some mass misunderstanding of Crucials product, you would think the 'Crucial guy' would be all over these threads doing damage control. Since that is not the case, what are folks having these problems supposed to think?

I'm one of (hopefully many) the 'lucky' Ballistix users that has so far not had a single problem. Not a single BSOD, overheat or bootup problem since installing my sticks. But, as I previously posted, I have not done any OC'ing, tweaking or changing of the settings in the BIOS whatsoever. I want to, but I aint gonna now, not until I know it's not going to screw up my expensive sticks.

If there is an explanation for all these problems, and it's not being conveyed, Crucial is really dropping the ball here and allowing one of the most well known and renowned memory sticks in recent times to go down the crapper. After being so universally recommended and respected in the high performance PC world, that would truly be a shame.

Well, my only question now is who should I obtain my RMA from.

I reset my CMOS today, which set's my vdim back to 2.6. My ram used to boot after a CMOS reset, but now it doesn't, so it seems my ram getting more hungry for voltage over time has definitely adversely affected it; both sticks too! Neither stick would boot my system after resetting the CMOS - long beep.

Right now I am running on some old emergency ram :P (HyperX) that does 250 [email protected], so I am not hurting too bad, but I still wonder what is my best option.

Should I RMA with newegg, or Crucial? I bought the ram back in October.

Thanks,

Slammin

Yet, lately while I'm gaming I will get a blue screen that flashes real quick and restarts the computer. I also get a sysdump.txt (Black Hawk Down).

to keep the computer from rebooting automatically, go into the control panel, system, advanced tab, settings button in "startup and recovery", and uncheck "automatically restart" in the system failure section.

on another note, my ram is still running strong at 280. still been only a couple weeks though, only time will tell.

If newegg takes the RAM use Newegg, they are very quick, quicker than vendors.

However, it might be different after 30 days, maybe they even refer you to the vendor and don't accept it.

Am I the only one thinking the RAM voltage issue is a mess? If the SPD values don't have an entry for voltage (which I didn't know), then how in the world is RAM that requires 2.8 Volts ever going to work for a run-of-the-mill consumeriod?