Sign in to follow this  
jhbodle

Crucial Ballistix 2x1GB PC4000 kit gone bad (merged)

This has definitely made me question why I ever chose Crucial memory over OCZ... and I'm just crossing my fingers that my 3rd set doesn't die.

Good luck with your new set. This is why I chose the Ballistix. They own that list (edit: at least for 30 days at a time :nod: ). I'm hoping my new Mushkin Redlines will get to 280-290.

For the record, at no time did I overclock either of my sets; I ran them stock at 250 MHz with the spec timings. And I ran them at 2.5 - 2.6 V. Now I know some will say 'give them 2.8V' - but when I did this, with both sets, I'd get errors.

The only officially given voltage is 2.8 Volts. Why did you run with less?

Is the SPD value for voltage 2.6 V on these sticks?

For what it's worth, over at xtremesystems people are now complaining that gigabyte sticks with Infineon CE-6 (G.Skill ZX, OCZ EB and Mushkin Redline, along with some Corsair junk) are turning out to not be 3d-benchable at speeds where they prime95 fine. Reasons under investigation.

Seems there might be less free lunch than we think. I guess I'll do the Samung UCCC thing now and get the G.Skill HZ.

For what it's worth, over at xtremesystems people are now complaining that gigabyte sticks with Infineon CE-6 (G.Skill ZX, OCZ EB and Mushkin Redline, along with some Corsair junk) are turning out to not be 3d-benchable at speeds where they prime95 fine. Reasons under investigation.

Seems there might be less free lunch than we think. I guess I'll do the Samung UCCC thing now and get the G.Skill HZ.

Just got my G.Skill PC4000 on monday... If not mistaken there HZ, hopfully theres no issues with these, running comfortably @ 260Mhz with 2.6V and running much cooler then my Ballistix ever did.

Are you being serious?

The SPD info does not include a voltage setting for the BIOS to detect and use.

And it would be a bad idea anyway, what would happen if the board came up with the wrong value?

That seems not isolated either. It is very much prone to be the case so far. Free lunches lessen daily. At the rated memory speeds there is no problem with 3D apps but as the speed gets greatly over the rated range the 3D apps seem Problematic. For me it is 3D03 mostly and not 01 or 05, but definitely there is something there. My UCCC sticks do not exhibit this at all.

RGone...

Are you being serious?

The SPD info does not include a voltage setting for the BIOS to detect and use.

And it would be a bad idea anyway, what would happen if the board came up with the wrong value?

Oh. I thought SPD would give voltage. It should.

So, in effect, Ballistix is specified to run at 2.8 V but mainbords come up with 2.6 V on autodetection. That certainly explains some of the trouble.

Your question is answered in the text you quoted from that poster - he got errors running at 2.8v. Could have been heat issues, but I'll say it again: if these modules require active cooling at stock speed and 2.8v, Crucial really should mention that.

Your question is answered in the text you quoted from that poster - he got errors running at 2.8v. Could have been heat issues, but I'll say it again: if these modules require active cooling at stock speed and 2.8v, Crucial really should mention that.

Mine was in their entire lifetime actively cooled and still went bad

after 1 month @2.8V :-(

@Martin Cracauer, you know with some low end motherboards (meant for normal desktop use) the maximum mem voltage = 2.7v.

I have seen it happen a few times, people buy memory that needs 2.8v or sometimes the board undervolts so you need to increase it to 2.8v but they (the user) cannot change it.

As a result they have a problem with their memory (BSODs) that cannot be fixed.

:(

But now nearly all manufacturers offer at least up to 2.8v.

Well, what should I do? My system seems totally stable yet I get errors when testing the memory from bios of from within Windows, BUT, I'm dual prime95 stable too.

Is my memory bad?

Well, what should I do? My system seems totally stable yet I get errors when testing the memory from bios of from within Windows, BUT, I'm dual prime95 stable too.

Is my memory bad?

I had that happen too. Im still prime stable in windows, yet hit that mem test failed within seconds or a min tops. Very wierd.