Sign in to follow this  
jhbodle

Crucial Ballistix 2x1GB PC4000 kit gone bad (merged)

Well guys I have just popped in my Ballistix on my SLI-DR. The setting are the same ones on my post on OCDB, everything is same except for the change on the dram voltage which I changed to 2.8. Been running double prime95 for two hours now and still going.

Stable at those settings for 8 hours. Then I proceeded to run Memtest 22200 erroros in 10 minutes. So I set the settings at stock, same errors in 18 minutes. Lots of errors at stock speed. I am disappointed. Hope I can trade it in for OCZ.

Guest ElAguila

Mine were still within the time for an rma to newegg. I shipped them out today. I hope the next batch is better so I don't have to mess with going to crucial and waiting for another rma. In the meantime I have old 2x512 pqi turbo sticks installed.

Yes Sharp, even at 2.6. The errors are at test 5. It does pass prime 95 but will not pass memtest. Any suggestions Sharp? Don't want to give up too easily on these stick, want to see if I can make it work.

Errors occur 97% into test 5 and always 22002.

I too have had nothing but problems with these Ballistix Z503's.

Ordered from newegg 9/12/05

Worked great at 3-8-3-3 1T @ 250 until 10/13.

RMA'd with newegg 10/14

Received replacements on 10/18, open the box, there were 2 512MB sticks without heatspreaders inside the cardboard box labeled Ballistix Z503 2x1GB !!!!

RMA'd again

Received replacements on 11/1

Put them back to work at 3-8-3-3 1T @ 250

Worked great for ~30 days.

Random lock-ups and blue screens started 11/30

Random memtest errors

Put them in my MSI Neo4 platty/Venice 3200+, windows won't even boot.

The batch number of my current pair are in my sig.

I never had either pair over 250MHz, and I active cooled the second pair by wedging a fan between the HS and the case. With the fan in place the heatspreader temps never got over 34C.

Anyone have an idea of how to get newegg to replace these with a different manufacturer's kit? I'm giving up on Crucial, but I spent $309(USD) for this kit.

I hope this doesnt happen to my 2x256 Giel One TCCD...

Dought you'll have issues with those. This is the first time I've heard of something this widespread on ram for ram. The only other time I've heard of decressing preformance over time was with SDNS dealling with early gen P4's degraded preformance over time.

figured i'd test my sticks at 280mhz 2.6v to get into the xtremesystems oc database, and they passed with flying colors: link

not sure if this is everyday stable yet, but i know they're rock solid at 275. i really hope these last... :rolleyes:

I don't know what I did but it seems that I have found a good settings for these Ballistix. After passing prime for 8 hrs but failing memtest I did a bit more of reading throughout the forum.

I reflashed the bios to 704-2bta where I had 704-3, tweaked up the bios settings a bit, can't recall excactly what those settings are but I think I set the bottom half to auto including tref and used 2.8 voltage. I ran test #5 for 10 passes and no errors. I currently have the standard test now for 3 hrs and no errors so far, its looking good.

Wow! Just finished to read all this thread, 20 pages...

I'm now in my second set of these Ballistix. First was magical could do 300Mhz at 2.9V but after several weeks started with errors so it had to be RMAed. My second pair has about 1 month now and barely can do 280-285... Doesn't matter now it started to show some errors in the Memtest86+ #4. My conclusion is regardless the temps, this memory only works safe if you use no more than 2.6V. Problem for me was that at that voltage I get random reboots and BSODs

Note that if you use 2.8V no matter what speed, you are killing this memory... and yes I have active cooling...

Time to get back to my reliable Redlines which get even better with time...

Just got off the phone with NewEgg. Since I RMA'd these ballistix once, and they sent me the wrong kit once, they are going to issue a refund with a re-stocking fee. If I place another order for another 2GB kit, they said they will waive the restocking fee, all I have to do is call them with the new order number.

Hello Redlines. :)