Sign in to follow this  
jhbodle

Crucial Ballistix 2x1GB PC4000 kit gone bad (merged)

as much as i love my crucial ballistix tracers .. this will be the last crucial thing i buy .. i have never rma'd anything except for this ram .. and i have rma'd 3 times so far .. and each time i get the tech guy saying .. ill send you one more set .. if it dies .. then its not the ram .. ocz customer support is 100 times nicer and better and they always test there stuff .. and are on most of the forums ..

if these die again im gonna ask for my money back .. and go ocz ..

someone should link more crucial tech people to these forums so they can see all the failures .. etc ..

also the ram is made to run from 2.6-2.8 .. i even had a guy from crucial tell me to try 2.9 .. at 2.7 these things get smoking hot .. my old ocz vx with like 3.4v didnt even get this hot at times ..

also about that 15 dollars mem cooler .. i would consider it .. but i dont see how it could fit on a dfi expert .. seems like my cpu cooler and video card might get in the way

My second set of Ballistix will not run at 250MHz and I am not going to spend $300 for expensive RAM that does not perform as advertised. So I plan to see if Newegg will let me return the Ballistix and get something else.

Which 2 x 1GB kit should I exchange it for?

OCZ Gold

G.Skill Extreme

Mushkin eXtreme

One of the above, or something else?

corgi1: I just bought the G.Skill there yesterday, hopfully will get it for this weekend. Had a couple others seeing that these are great sticks for the price, and if its ture of the preformance he got out of it, he was getting 7,300MB/s out of the ram at default clocks, definatly much better then what I'm getting currently if it makes a big difference or not.

Besides running cooler also.

I would be glad if anyone can explain me this. It's just incredible weird:

I own to 1GB ballisix tracer ddr500. They were running fine on my msi k8n neo2, 250mhz, 1t, 2.8v.

Last week I got a dfi nf4 ultra-d. On this board the ram is producing loads of errors even when operating at only 100mhz - Ok, I tried the ram on my old neo2 again - and everything was ok. So I bought a new ultra-d and... the same again! Errors, errors, errors!

...Running fine on a k8n neo 2 - not operating properly even under specification on a dfi nf4 ultra-d. What the hell is going on here?

I ordered some samsung uccc, hope they will perform better. But it would be nice if someone could explain me this strange behaviour of the ballistix.

Furthermore, there are threads about ballistix on dfi in other forums, too, for example here (a german one):

http://www.forumdeluxx.de/forum/showthread.php?t=158996

There are even sume rumors that dfi mainboards are killing memory (especially crucial-rams). Something true about that?

But even if that's the case.. WHY are my two sticks running fine on an other board?!

(If of interest, the batch-no. of my crucial ram is CL11159.5V)

I used to OC the crap out of all my old PC's components because they were becoming outdated and I didn't mind wipping them to get as much performance out of them as I could (hey, it was fun!). If it took a dump, what the hell.

It WAS my intention to eventually overclock my Tracers (along with the rest of my system) but after running absolutely trouble free for several months at all 'stock' settings, with great results, I'm gonna leave well alone. Makes me wonder if once you decide to start messing around with squeezing more performance out of your already 'high performance' running components, that your taking your chances on one or more of those components having a problem and hence your whole system becomes problematic.

Makes me wonder if once you decide to start messing around with squeezing more performance out of your already 'high performance' running components, that your taking your chances on one or more of those components having a problem and hence your whole system becomes problematic.

Well, we are running things faster then they were intended to run.. So there is always a risk involved when overclocking anything.. Its the chance we take with this sick twisted hobby.. :tooth:

I would be happy if my crucials were running fine at stock speed on my dfi board. But they are not. And of course, overclocking includes some risk. But it's interesting that so many people got so big problems with crucial, isn't it? Do you see any threads like "ocz ram gone bad"....with dozen of people having the same problem? I don't.

And, even more interesting: A shop in germany now stopped selling crucial ram because of the high RMA rates!

When I bought my Tracers a few months ago, they were by far the most recommended sticks, on several forums. Theres no way I would have bought them (and probably no way they would have been so highly recommended) had threads like this one been around. I'm hoping these problems will stem from just a bad batch you fellas unfortunately bought from (after mine was produced ofcoarse! :D ) that will prove to be the problem and Crucial will make good on. Otherwise, I'm gonna cross my fingers and hope that by leaving mine alone they'll be fine :cool: .

When I bought my Tracers a few months ago, they were by far the most recommended sticks, on several forums.

Yes, they were! But this time it was the only 2GB kit interesting for overclockers. Now there are so much other, and so much better rams out there... ocz, mushkin, gskill... no reason to buy crucial any more.